Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aabaaf

join:2011-12-09
Lombard, IL
reply to cody21

Re: [Bill] must move to COMCAST - what "hidden" fees t

That would be with TV, since limited basic, is the name of a TV package, which covers ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS stations and maybe 5 or 6 others, depending on the area, also most likely HSN, or QVC. All of it depends on your local area, and what the specials area, since specials can vary from town to town, every in a major metropolitan area. It all depends on what COMCAST and your local town have negotiated.

aabaaf

join:2011-12-09
Lombard, IL
reply to cody21

Also remember specials you talk to someone about online, are only available online, specials you talk to someone about that comes to your door, only available from that person that came to your door, and sometimes only right then when at your door, not when you call them in 2 hrs. Also deals on the phone, or deals you get in the mail, are only available through them. You can't call in and say I say this deal on the internet. The person will look and most likely not see it, and tell you, you have to go online to sign up for that deal. Best to try all sources to TRULY get the best deal, and they are right about combining HSI with the lowest TV package you can get as there is an additional discount given when averaged out, even if you don't use COMAST for TV.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to cody21

said by cody21:

is that with TV ?? or strictly HSI ?

cody21, look here...if you have not already figured this out:

Quit asking folks what to expect when different packages, rates, available "specials" at that time, and conditions apply...you'll drive yourself blind! Folks mean well, but the quotes and package deals that you get offered today are the only ones that are relevant.

Call (not their all but worthless on line chat!) a Comcast account executive (their fancy name for service-order-taker) and tell them what you want, and have them itemize the costs for you. They will do that, no there were no "hidden" charges, but yes, take the due diligence to call and ask in detail...I did, and I got exactly what was promised, as expected, at the price quoted, with no contract obligation.

No offense to anyone, but like many other goods and services, you really should do your homework, and I do not mean getting other people's opinions...opinions pay no bills...check their web site and promos...write down whatever questions about conditions that are important to you...then call and if the price and terms are within your expectations, great...if not, hang up and move on.
--
Deeds, not words

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to cody21

I'm not talking about promotions or special offers ... I'm talking about what you will pay AFTER after those run out.

If you do not subscribe to Comcast cableTV and go with HSI only ... you WILL be charged an extra $15.00 PER MONTH every month because you do not subscribe to their cableTV ... fact.

Comcast calls it a "discount" for loyal cableTV customers ... but any way you slice it, there IS an extra $15.00 a month tacked on to their advertised $49.95 a month HSI package.

It has always been this way ... no matter what anyone else tries to to tell you ... or tries to dress it up.

cody21

join:2012-06-14
El Cerrito, CA
reply to cody21

Thanks again Pete & newview .. Yes, I get that what yuo're saying Pete ... I was just wanting to know of any "hidden" stuff after the fact and was dismayed to hear about the $15/mo tacked on top ... After all this conversation, I think we'll just ditch DTV (sadly) and go with the Xfinity TV & Internet ... they have a nice intro price and we can revisit it when our contract expires and they start sucking us dry - hopefully bythe SONIC HSI will be available in our area - they're expanding pretty fast. Then we'll have options. But our ONLY option for HSI is ComCrap.

thanks everyone. great info ..

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM

said by cody21:

we can revisit it when our contract expires

Probably semantics, but as I understand it, there is no contract. If you do not subscribe for the specified term, they go back and reprice your account as if there were no discounts, so you owe the difference.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to tshirt

said by tshirt:

But it's not really extra ...

Probably a bad choice of words?

Order only telephone service from a LEC, or only television service from a MSO, and they cover line maintenance out of the bill. Add HSI, and there is no need for another line maintenance fee to the customer with bundled services. So the HSI service is priced without consideration of line maintenance because the customer is already paying for it.

Since the HSI price does not cover maintenance costs, unbundling HSI incurs an unrecovered maintenance cost for the service. Unless the LEC/MSO add a fee to cover maintenance costs.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to cody21

Click for full size
The above is an actual monthly bill. For 12/3 Internet and Digital Starter TV that has been in place for over a year. Hence, no discounts are being applied.

Taxes and fees vary, The Franchise Authority is City of Lakewood which is in the State of Washington. Taxes and fees are different for different Franchise and State.

Note that we are paying through July 20, 2012.

Note: When in Oregon, I dropped TV. In that Franchise Area, cost of HSI and limited basic TV was the same as just HSI, due to the extra $15.00 that is charged for HSI without a TV package.

cody21

El Cerrito, CA

perfectly what I was looking for .. thanks

cody21

El Cerrito, CA
reply to travelguy

According to their CURRENT plan, a 2 years Contract is required for the $119/mo TV & HSI

»comcast.com/shop/buyflow2/produc···inflow=1

I have 1 last quesiton for you smart people: I'm assuming we can daisey chain a WiFi Router off of the Modem at no additional Cost/Fee, right? We are planning to buy our own equipment (Modem & Router), not leasing anything.

Thanks again !

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11

Comcast doesn't charge customers to connect their own devices to the modem.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to cody21

said by cody21:

I have 1 last quesiton for you smart people: I'm assuming we can daisey chain a WiFi Router off of the Modem at no additional Cost/Fee, right? We are planning to buy our own equipment (Modem & Router), not leasing anything.

Thanks again !

yes, you can....Comcast does not charge extra for anything you install after the modem.

but in the case of the modem part, I would let the tech install theirs first, make sure signals are good, speeds are ok before you sign off. after maybe a week or two, get your own new modem [not cl sourced or ebay], call Comcast and have them activate your OWN modem.

make sure to return THEIR modem to a local office and get a receipt as proof that it was returned so you can skip the $7 modem fee.

from this point onwards, you can now do as you wish with your connection. add that wi-fi and such....

cody21

El Cerrito, CA

Great .. Thanks ..

1 last one -- Do they provide a DVR for their HD TV service? or is THAT yet another FEE ????? how much? What about 2 TV's - 1 with DVR and the other just HD signal ?? Do they nickly and dime on every TV ?

Madtown
Premium
join:2008-04-26
Madera, CA
reply to cody21

For my area, it says $42.95 for Performance. I'm paying $29.99 for the 1st 6th month, after that it will go up to the full price of $42.95. I don't subscribe to TV, I'm only subscribe to HSI.

anon457

@comcast.net
reply to cody21

This appears to be their Performance Starter which is in most markets 6 down 1 up as a result of the NBC merger. No Powerboost, etc. but everything else the same. As Install fess vary by market I would say this quote is correct. Taxes vary by region on Internet but I'd not go higher than 10%

gapboy118

join:2005-10-09
Santa Rosa, CA

2 edits
reply to cody21

Click for full size
Prices without TV
said by cody21:

So are you guys saying that the additonal $15 fee on top of the $49.95 is a 1-time fee for the infrastructure? Or is that charged EVERY month for a total of $65 (+taxes). We're only talking about the "Performance Starter" pkg. (no Biz pkg or dedicated IP).

The Performance Starter tier is $49.95/mo + modem rental + taxes/franchise fees/etc. It is a tier designed for those customers who have an alternate source of TV or those who are cord cutters. It is a flat-rate and is not subject to the non-bundling fee the regular Performance tier is. That is why this pkg offers only 6 Mbps vs. the 15 Mbps of regular Performance.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to NormanS

said by NormanS:

said by tshirt:

But it's not really extra ...

Probably a bad choice of words?

Somehow it's too hard for some people here to understand
The NORMAL price is $62.95.
but if you have another service (which pays a built in $15 per account overhead charge) they discount the HSI by $15, so you don't pay the overhead fee twice.
If you have no other service, no discount applies.

Razor Tim

@comcast.net
reply to cody21

Not sure if you'd count it as a hidden fee, but here in Portland we're in between a price increase notice and effective date. I think 7/1 they'll raise the prices of monthly converter fees, monthly limited basic TV fee, and over 10 different types of installation fees.

Might be worth inquiring about in your area for any upcoming fee increases.

cody21

El Cerrito, CA
reply to gapboy118

That was what I was looking at for precisely the reasons you mentioned - no land line, DTV ... just happens that DSL is not available at our new house so being forced into COMCAST & their nickle & diming. And actually the 6 down / 1 up is better than what we're getting on DSL right now, so that would be good. thanks everyone !!