Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to Viper677

Premium Member

to Viper677

Re: Water Heater Brand Recommendations

said by Viper677:

You do run out of water in a situation you have an electric water heater.

Really? My wife and I take 2 good showers every morning and we've never ever run out of hot water. She takes her's first then me.

Even if from time to time we did manage to run out it would not justify the expense of buying, installing and operating a propane tankless water heater.
Viper677
Certified Home Inspector
join:2012-03-22
Toronto

Viper677

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by Viper677:

Really? My wife and I take 2 good showers every morning and we've never ever run out of hot water. She takes her's first then me.

Even if from time to time we did manage to run out it would not justify the expense of buying, installing and operating a propane tankless water heater.

So two things:

1. An electric water heater has a 'tank' and water will eventually run out at some point if you keep using hot water for a certain period of time VS tankless water heater where that does not happen. I did not say that you will run out of hot water after 2 showers.

2. I made no comments about justifying the cost of a tankless water heater.

Decision with going with a tankless is based on several factors like, family size, how much hot water is utilized, can you wait a littler longer (20 sec or so) for the hot water to reach the faucet? Do you want to make room for other stuff and get rid of that big tank, how good was the sales pitch of the guy selling you the product etc

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

said by Viper677:

Well that's true for you. You only have a 2 person household.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by fifty nine:

Well that's true for you. You only have a 2 person household.

That is very true but I also know and have known other households that are larger who limit the amount of time in the shower and back when I was younger and showers were not common the amount of water in the tub. This apparently worked out well. I don't recall knowing anyone who did not take 45 minute showers with the water full on smelling bad or looking dirty.

Those living in the cities where natural gas was available had gas fired tank type and those without gas service used electric. There was no propane.

So to try to say that something is the greatest since sliced bread without taking all variables into account is sometimes stretching the benefits.