share rss forum feed

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 edit

1 recommendation

[Opera] Official release of Opera 12 available (not the beta)

Just do a check for update in Opera. The new version is available now.

Opera is releasing version 12 of the Opera browser today, with new features for theming, controlling your computer’s hardware from the browser without using a plugin, speed, and security.

Not an Opera user now? You can download the new version here:
»www.opera.com/

What is new in Opera 12?
»www.opera.com/browser/new/

PCInTech
keeping art alive since 1953
Premium
join:2004-06-07
Massena, NY
kudos:9

Re: [Opera] Official release of Opera 12 available (not the beta

Just got it via auto-update, awesome!

PCInTech
Premium
Massena, NY
reply to FFH5
Just got it via auto-update, awesome

PCInTech
Premium
Massena, NY
ok, maybe found a bug already. LOL, it told me I had one too many characters, and doubleposted me. LOL

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
Reviews:
·TELUS

2 edits

2 recommendations

reply to FFH5
Release Announcement:
quote:
Updated: Twelve under-the-hood improvements in Opera 12, and 11.65
By Huib Kleinhouthuibk. Thursday, June 14, 2012 6:05:38 AM

Opera 12 has been released today!
With Opera's new theming support it's easier than ever to dress Opera the way you like. But behind Opera's visual changes there are numerous of technical enhancements in Opera 12. Here are 12 of our favorite under-the-hood improvements in this release.

1. Faster startup with many tabs
Previously it could take a while to start Opera if you had many tabs open. In Opera 12 tabs are loaded smarter; fewer at the time with those that are visible or recently accessed loading first. Opera now always starts up equally fast no matter how many tabs you have open.

2. Out-of-Process Plug-ins
Plug-ins are notorious for causing stability issues. In fact almost one third of all crashes in Opera are caused by plug-ins. In Opera 12 plug-ins are isolated in a separate process, when they crash all you need to do is reload the page.

3. Experimental Hardware Acceleration and WebGL
Opera 12 contains experimental support for full hardware acceleration and WebGL. While the stability and performance depends on the OS, drivers and graphics card, it is already available for testing. Enabling opera:config#UserPrefs|EnableWebGL allows you to test WebGL content and enabling opera:config#UserPrefs|EnableHardwareAcceleration makes not only the web page but the whole user interface being render via the graphics card. By accessing opera:gpu you can check the current status of Hardware Acceleration and WebGL. Using opera:config#UserPrefs|Preferredrenderer you can switch between OpenGL (0) and DirectX (1).

4. opera:cpu
Is something slowing down Opera or your computer? You can now easily check with opera:cpu.

5. Improved loading performance
In Opera 12 the loading of pages has been optimized to ensure that resources like scripts, style sheets and images are loaded more efficiently. The result: Faster loading of pages!

6. Improved performance on secure connections
When loading a secure page (https) the browser goes through a complex process to establish a secure connection. This exact steps in this process vary from web server to web server, depending on the certificates, version and implementation of TLS they support. For Opera 12 we've analyzed and optimized many of the different steps in this process. Overall many secure pages are now loading faster than before!

7. RTL
In each release Opera learns a new language. New in Opera 12 is the capability to support Right-To-Left languages which makes it possible to support Arabic, Persian, Hebrew and Urdu. With Kazakh in addition, Opera is now translated into 55 languages.

8. Improved HTML5 support
HTML5 is the heart and soul of the web. Opera 12 adds support for drag and drop, camera access (getUserMedia), css animations and more.

9. Improved extensions support
The windows/tabs extensions api has been revamped to include support for access to tab stacks. Check out dev.opera for more upcoming extension features.

10. Opera 12 is now available in 64 bit for all platforms. Note that because 64 bit applications use more memory than their 32 bit equivalent, the default version of Opera for Windows will continue to be 32 bit.

11. Do Not Track
Opera 12 enhances your privacy by supporting the "Do Not Track" feature. You can enabled it in Opera's Preferences dialog (Preferences > Advanced > Security > Ask websites not to track me).

12. Improved address field suggestions
Based on feedback from you we've implemented numerous of tweaks to the address field making the suggested results cleaner, more accurate and more relevant.

Update: Mac App Store edition
Opera 12 was released earlier today through all our distribution channels but one. We now also announce the released of Opera 11.65, a security and stability update for the version of Opera that is distributed exclusively through the Mac App Store (MAS).

As of June 1st, it has been a requirement for all applications in the MAS to be using Mac OS’ sandboxing security technology. Although Opera itself has completed all the work needed and is running fine in a sandboxed environment, we have chosen to delay the MAS release of Opera 12 with sandboxing enabled. To ensure that our users get the best experience, we need third party plug-ins such as Flash Player from Adobe and Java from Apple/Oracle working in a sandboxed environment. These key third-parties still need more time to update their products.

Opera 12 for Mac without sandboxing is available from »www.opera.com/browser/ today, and Opera 11.65 will be made available in the Mac App Store shortly.
Opera 12.00 for Windows Changelog
»www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/windows/1200/

Windows Downloads: »www.opera.com/browser/download/?···&local=y

Opera 11.65 for Mac Changelog
»www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/mac/1165/

Mac OS X Downloads: »www.opera.com/browser/download/?···&local=y

rfnut
Premium
join:2002-04-27
Fisher, IL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to FFH5
Unfortunately the auto update does not go from one architecture to the next.
Chased down and installed the 64bit version and I had to change to custom install directory from opera x64 to the original opera directory to easily keep my customizations. Other than that so far so good.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium
join:2001-08-27
Canada
kudos:16
reply to FFH5
Thanks got it via auto update.

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA
kudos:4

4 edits
reply to rfnut
nvm

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to FFH5
Thanks for the heads up, Romney.
Ran my internal updater manually...no problems at all. Working fine.
However, I'm not so sure about this version yet. Won't go into details, just not sure yet.
Of course, the whole possible "Facebook acquisition" is always in the back of my mind now as well.
Any new news on that? (Aw, never mind...if it happens, I'll know right away).
Still my very favorite browser...guess I'll just have to wait and see how much longer it remains my favorite.
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

rfnut
Premium
join:2002-04-27
Fisher, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to caffeinator
The 64 bit version works ok for me and I did manually get the 64 installer under "More Options" at »www.opera.com/browser/download/ you have the option of selecting 64bit under Architecture.

PCInTech
Premium
Massena, NY
Reviews:
·VOIPO
reply to jabarnut
said by jabarnut:

Of course, the whole possible "Facebook acquisition" is always in the back of my mind now as well.
Any new news on that? (Aw, never mind...if it happens, I'll know right away).

Interestingly, one of the things that Opera 12 "broke" was Facebook. My pages no longer refresh in real time, and I have to empty the cache to see new messages.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31

1 recommendation

Interesting indeed, PCInTech!
I'm just still not sure in exactly what way it's interesting. Time will tell, I suppose.
--

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to FFH5
I got rid of v12 after a few days of use. I think it's the first time I've ever done that. I should have know as I'd tried the v12 Beta and hated it.

For the first time in years, Opera actually froze up on me on some sites that 11.64 never did.

Also, the customized Breeze II Micro v4.15 skin I've been using since 2004 now no longer displays properly; the address bar and status/info bars were black on black with no apparent fix...unacceptable.

Back to 11.64 for me.

--

My 9/11 Tribute..online since 9/14/01
Need an Avatar? Check out Wafen's Avatar Pages

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to FFH5
You can't really expect that a skin to remain perfectly functional across major updates. Updates inherently changes the way the program looks and interacts with the user. These changes are bound to break skins/themes. It's up to the maintainer of the skin to update it for compatibility. This is the way it's always been for basically any program that has a skinning ability.

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA

1 recommendation

said by decx:

You can't really expect that a skin to remain perfectly functional across major updates. Updates inherently changes the way the program looks and interacts with the user. These changes are bound to break skins/themes. It's up to the maintainer of the skin to update it for compatibility. This is the way it's always been for basically any program that has a skinning ability.

Sure I can. That skin has worked (with updates alone the way) across every major revision since win98 was king. Even v11.

Now v12 breaks the most popular minimalist skin ever made and that's ok? Nope. I'd go use FF13.

How many skin designers do ya think are even going to bother updating with the new and horrid "themes" site Opera has foisted on us? Not many.

Opera is turning their browser into Chrome apparently, and I won't follow them into the abyss. I'll run my 11.64 quite happily thx.
--

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31

2 recommendations

I must say, I kind of agree with you, caff.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm just not so sure about this version. Been away for a while, and haven't had a whole lot of time to "play" with it yet, but this may be the very first version of Opera that hasn't thrilled me right off the bat.
My biggest fear is they may finally be headed in the wrong direction. (Especially with the Facebook rumors...sorry, can't help but mention that again).
Like I said, can't put my finger on it yet, but I have this really horrible feeling somethin' just ain't quite right these days in Opera land.
--

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to caffeinator
said by caffeinator:

Sure I can. That skin has worked (with updates alone the way) across every major revision since win98 was king. Even v11.

Now v12 breaks the most popular minimalist skin ever made and that's ok? Nope. I'd go use FF13.

How many skin designers do ya think are even going to bother updating with the new and horrid "themes" site Opera has foisted on us? Not many.

Opera is turning their browser into Chrome apparently, and I won't follow them into the abyss. I'll run my 11.64 quite happily thx.

Frankly, Firefox has been my main browser ever since it was Phoenix. Over the years it has broken a few of my favourite unmaintained themes. It's because of this that now I only use the default theme that comes with it. With FF's current accelerated schedule there's is a lower risk of each new release affecting skins, but don't bet on switching to Firefox to avoid the problem altogether.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to FFH5

Re: [Opera] Official release of Opera 12 available

Depending on one's point of view, Opera started jumping off the rails somewhere in the 11.xx series. For me, 10.63 has been the most reliable and stable version of Opera to date, and it's still on my system - though I use it very infrequently. Opera 11.52 has been as far as I've thus far ventured in the 11.xx family, largely based on its stability for me and on the user complaints I've observed that began significantly compounding at version 11.60 - and which have only increased in intensity through the current 12.0 version.

From a distance, and based on a certainly unscientific long-term observation of comments in Opera's browser forums and its development blog, it seems like problems started to hit something of a critical mass, apparently related to functionality and redesign changes being introduced into Opera, at around the 11.6x point. Since then, a number of users (still apparently in a minority) have experienced intractable problems with CPU usage and memory consumption, inablity of the browser to work correctly (if at all) with Flash content, access/functionality problems on a number of popular sites (Gmail, Hotmail, Facebook, GoogleMaps, YouTube, etc, etc), major skin incompatibilities, and so on; yet many other users seem to experience few or no problems in their usage. A number of seasoned users have reverted back from v12.0 because of the accumulation of problems they've run into.

At this point, I'm parked at 11.52 (a bit uncomfortably, since it lacks several later security patches). In Opera's olden days, there'd always come a point fairly soon when the observed forum problem reports noticeably slackened at some minor version point after patches and fixes became cumulatively more effective. Unfortunately, that has not happened yet with these later versions... and, in fact, it seems like some of the more serious complaints have only grown and compounded in intensity with passing versions. That may be due to a tendency in Opera of late to incorporate major design/feature changes faster than existing problems are analyzed and fixed. I wonder if the browser wars and the new-version pressure of "market share" are foisting feature-bloat at the cost of dependability and stability in all the browser flavors...
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA
Have ya noticed that all of the browsers are doing the exact same basic default GUI now?

Chrome's GUI.

WTF? I don't want that big stupid tab thing sticking up there wasting screen space. There is no point to it being that way.
--

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

Tabs are something that have never captured my attention. I'm admittedly old school in my browsing... I look at one page at a time, and having more than three "tabs" or "windows" open at a time is of virtually no value to me. While I don't begrudge the feature for those who love tabs, I recognize that the complexity of the browser design and its resource demands must grow exponentially when it's designed to cope with many, many simultaneously-open tabs... and, in the end, that impacts me. The code and the system interactions become markedly more complicated with such a browser... and the testing of all the implications of interoperability for browsing innumerable website designs along with the wide variety of simultaneously running processes on a modern computer leads to a growing zone of uncertain browser stability. I'm convinced this is a key reason for some users having problems that others don't.

I'm not sure where this is all leading us. I originally migrated to Opera years ago because of its ability to customize (and in many cases, turn off) the effects of a lot of built-in features that I did not want. Now, this seems not nearly as effective against some of these issues as it used to be. There are users with just a single tab in use who are over-running memory, experiencing 100% CPU usage for minutes at a time, are finding the Opera process keeps running long after the browser is turned off, etc - not good signs for stability. So... I sit here hoping. Hoping that Opera will clear its head and get back on track, or hoping that somebody will develop a secure, compact, trustworthy, stable browser that will simply... uhmm... browse.
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

Dee Bee
Premium
join:2005-05-08
North York, ON
reply to FFH5

Re: [Opera] Official release of Opera 12 available (not the beta

This version 12.0 seems to be crashing and not responding on a regular basis for me. Very unusual since I've never had that happen before with Opera.
As others have said, I hope they are not going down the road of selling their soul to a specific group with money.
If they do that's their business, and I will have to move on to another browser.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
said by Dee Bee:

This version 12.0 seems to be crashing and not responding on a regular basis for me. Very unusual since I've never had that happen before with Opera.
As others have said, I hope they are not going down the road of selling their soul to a specific group with money.
If they do that's their business, and I will have to move on to another browser.

FWIW, the chances of Opera 12 crashing seem to be increased for Flash-related sites, "large" numbers of open tabs, and when leaving Opera running for extended periods of time. Those elements contribute to making large cache demands (memory and disk), and it seems Opera may presently be struggling with managing those effectively on some system configurations (hardware and other running software). There are also some confirmed crash problems related to dragging to/from the address bar.

Based on traffic in Opera's forums, their developers have to now be abundantly aware of the situation. Whether they have the will or the prioritization to create appropriate fixes remains to be seen.
--

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to Dee Bee
Opera 12.01 beta (2nd update)

•Crash fixes and stability enhancements

»my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/20···or-12-01
--
Gladiator Security Forum: www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

jp10558
Premium
join:2005-06-24
Willseyville, NY
reply to FFH5
I was very worried with Opera 12 based on all the reports, but at least for my browsing it's a major upgrade over v11.64...

1) Works with an internal webapp that v11 didn't.
2) Starts up way faster with my almost 100 tabs - well, the new trick anyway makes it faster for the user, and what I always wondered why they didn't do that anyway (bias page loading for the tab you've got on top...).
3) Faster browsing overall.
4) Less freezing / hanging up than 11.64 for me. I was regularily having 11.64 sort of hang with a "ghost" / white semi transparent overlay on all my systems... Not yet with v12...

My only Con that I've experienced is the skin breakage. That's a big PITA and obviously something most users will notice if using a custom skin - one of the big selling points of Opera was the skins...

That said, I found a skin that mostly works for me, and I'll see if someone updates some of the skins for v12... What can I do anyway? If I want the features, I suppose I could switch browsers, but that doesn't fix the look either - I just get a different somewhat disappointing skin.
--
Opera 11.1; Windows XP Pro SP3;Intel C2Q6600; 3GB DDR2 1066; 1M/128k DSL; Comodo Internet Security 5.3;Proxomitron 4.5j Sidki 2009-06-06,GPG ID:0x0A1C6EE3

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA
reply to chachazz
I think they are up to the 4th update on the 12.01 Beta now.

I'm still gonna hold off on v12 for awhile, although I don't know that 12.50 will be any better for me.