Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dee Bee
Premium
join:2005-05-08
North York, ON
reply to FFH5

Re: [Opera] Official release of Opera 12 available (not the beta

This version 12.0 seems to be crashing and not responding on a regular basis for me. Very unusual since I've never had that happen before with Opera.
As others have said, I hope they are not going down the road of selling their soul to a specific group with money.
If they do that's their business, and I will have to move on to another browser.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
said by Dee Bee:

This version 12.0 seems to be crashing and not responding on a regular basis for me. Very unusual since I've never had that happen before with Opera.
As others have said, I hope they are not going down the road of selling their soul to a specific group with money.
If they do that's their business, and I will have to move on to another browser.

FWIW, the chances of Opera 12 crashing seem to be increased for Flash-related sites, "large" numbers of open tabs, and when leaving Opera running for extended periods of time. Those elements contribute to making large cache demands (memory and disk), and it seems Opera may presently be struggling with managing those effectively on some system configurations (hardware and other running software). There are also some confirmed crash problems related to dragging to/from the address bar.

Based on traffic in Opera's forums, their developers have to now be abundantly aware of the situation. Whether they have the will or the prioritization to create appropriate fixes remains to be seen.
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:10
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to Dee Bee
Opera 12.01 beta (2nd update)

•Crash fixes and stability enhancements

»my.opera.com/desktopteam ··· or-12-01
--
Gladiator Security Forum: www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

jp10558
Premium
join:2005-06-24
Willseyville, NY
reply to FFH5
I was very worried with Opera 12 based on all the reports, but at least for my browsing it's a major upgrade over v11.64...

1) Works with an internal webapp that v11 didn't.
2) Starts up way faster with my almost 100 tabs - well, the new trick anyway makes it faster for the user, and what I always wondered why they didn't do that anyway (bias page loading for the tab you've got on top...).
3) Faster browsing overall.
4) Less freezing / hanging up than 11.64 for me. I was regularily having 11.64 sort of hang with a "ghost" / white semi transparent overlay on all my systems... Not yet with v12...

My only Con that I've experienced is the skin breakage. That's a big PITA and obviously something most users will notice if using a custom skin - one of the big selling points of Opera was the skins...

That said, I found a skin that mostly works for me, and I'll see if someone updates some of the skins for v12... What can I do anyway? If I want the features, I suppose I could switch browsers, but that doesn't fix the look either - I just get a different somewhat disappointing skin.
--
Opera 11.1; Windows XP Pro SP3;Intel C2Q6600; 3GB DDR2 1066; 1M/128k DSL; Comodo Internet Security 5.3;Proxomitron 4.5j Sidki 2009-06-06,GPG ID:0x0A1C6EE3

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA
kudos:4
reply to chachazz
I think they are up to the 4th update on the 12.01 Beta now.

I'm still gonna hold off on v12 for awhile, although I don't know that 12.50 will be any better for me.