spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dglynn

join:2012-06-14
Hayes, VA

[VA] Cisco cable DS-2 HWIC and Cox compatibility help...

So I get link using this modem in my 2851 router however the bandwidth is beyond usable: 120KB DS and 40 UP. Is there any way I can emulate another supported modem or make this one work to it's maximum performance? I feel as though it's a configuration issue on Cox' end and tier 1 help can't get me the info I'm looking for in regards to any errors from my link.

-Greg

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:79
Those are not approved for use on our network.

dglynn

join:2012-06-14
Hayes, VA
Ok so can I ask technically why they aren't? What does it mean to be approved? They are DOCSIS 2 devices. Why does Comcast support them?

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:79
I can't go into details concerning that particular device, just that not every Cable Labs device is approved for use on our network. Your best option will be a stand alone modem connecting to an Ethernet based WIC.

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to dglynn
Click for full size
list of supported modems

bbeesley
VIP
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX
kudos:5
reply to dglynn
said by dglynn:

Ok so can I ask technically why they aren't? What does it mean to be approved? They are DOCSIS 2 devices. Why does Comcast support them?

I seem to recall some security issues with the HWICs that forced Cox engineers to remove them from the approved devices list. I don't recall the specifics but it caused some consternation because folks wanted to use them for business services accounts

frankly, my experience with integrating DOCSIS interfaces in edge devices whether they be consumer-grade linksys or commercial products like Cisco and Juniper routers has been that it is much more cost effective to just use an off the shelf external cable modem. The marginal operational control of the DOCSIS interface withing the router OS is generally offset by both high cost and lower performance.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE
reply to dglynn
that cox has firmware for the modem