Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

6.8% tax on using Internet Explorer 7

Click for full size
Kogan wages war on Internet Explorer: Users taxed

ONLINE electronics retailer Kogan.com has announced it will be charging customers a 6.8 per cent penalty if they use the "antique" browser Internet Explorer 7 to buy their products.
"That's 0.1 per cent for each month IE7 has been on the market," the website said today.

CEO and founder Ruslan Kogan said the business had been spending too much time and money making the site compatible with IE7.

"Internet Explorer 7 has long since passed its use-by date," Mr Kogan said. "It’s a constant source of frustration for our web guys and we’re sick of burning cash on a browser that hit the market nearly six years ago. It goes against everything Kogan stands for."

The entrepreneur said users wanting to avoid paying extra should simply switch browsers to Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera or a more recent version of Internet Explorer.

Kogan said that by penalising customers for using IE7 he was "doing our bit" to make the internet a better place.

»www.news.com.au/technology/kogan···95298505

--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3

3 recommendations

Hmm. Wonder what the tax rate is on Dude111 See Profile's IE6?

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 recommendation

reply to Name Game
I don't use IE7, but if I saw something like that I wouldn't buy from Mr. Kogan, either.

That would be "doing my bit" against arrogant retailers.

PS: I'm not sure he can levy a tax. He can charge a fee, but a tax? no.
Expand your moderator at work

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to Name Game

Re: ITU tax of US based servers

I notice that the article's links to the documents go to wcitleaks.org.

»files.wcitleaks.org/public/T09-C···SW-E.pdf

»files.wcitleaks.org/public/ETNO%20C109.pdf

Below is what seems to be the relevant part of the proposal. As usual, the bill is general and vague and could be interpreted as allowing taxation of any product or service, including news feeds, social networking or other commercial service that feeds advertising of any sort.

MOD CWG/54/6.14
45 6.1.3 Where in accordance with the national law of a country, a Countries are free to levy fiscal taxes on is levied on collection charges for international telecommunication services in accordance with their national laws, but international double taxation must be avoided, this tax shall normally be collected only in respect of international services billed to customers in that country, unless other arrangements are made to meet special arrangements.
MOD CWG/54/6.15

45 6.1.3 Member States shall not apply taxes to incoming international calls, so as to avoid double taxation. Where, in accordance with the national law of a country, a fiscal tax is levied on collection charges for international telecommunication services, this tax shall normally be collected only in respect of international services billed to customers in that country ...

It also looks like it could be a two way street on who taxes who. The US could start taxing foreign wholesalers and exporters who do business VIA web sites or other internet services.

China, OPEC and other exporters may not like the idea. The reality is that the UN is so tied up in bureaucracy, politics and member self-interest that this will most likely not come to pass. If it does, violators will be issued toothless letters or resolutions of "grave concern" or "strong condemnation" of their practices. Since the US and China have veto power in the security council, it's dead on arrival.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

1 edit
reply to Name Game

Re: 6.8% tax on using Internet Explorer 7

Let's start up then with the United Nation WGIG fiasco..they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground about the Internet

Working Group on Internet Governance

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_Gr···vernance

As a body today..the UN has no success stories at keeping the world safe..and I sure would not trust them with the Security of the Internet..

It is all crap and so was that UN carbon tax thing going around for a while.

Should the United Nations Get to Tax the Internet, ATM Withdrawals, and Air Travel?
»danieljmitchell.wordpress.com/20···-travel/

Should the United Nations Have the Power to Impose Global Taxes?

»danieljmitchell.wordpress.com/20···l-taxes/
--
Gladiator Security Forum

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2
reply to Name Game
What is Internet Explorer?
Expand your moderator at work

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
reply to Name Game

Doesn't affect me. I'm using Firefox 3.0

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL
said by vaxvms:

Doesn't affect me. I'm using Firefox 3.0

Are you for real. Firefox 3.0?

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to Name Game

What a bunch of stupid morons....

THEY SHOULD GET THE HELL OFF THE INTERNET OR STOP BEING SO LAZY AND MAKE THIER SITE WORK IN ANY BROWSER!

EDIT:

I just checked thier site,NOTHING BUT GARBAGE FOR SALE ON THERE!!

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4
said by Dude111:

...I just checked thier site,NOTHING BUT GARBAGE FOR SALE ON THERE!!

Where ? I already forgot what the original question was...
--
I feel more like I do now than when I first got here.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL
reply to Dude111
said by Dude111:

Feats well with IE

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
reply to Dude111
said by Dude111:

What a bunch of stupid morons....

THEY SHOULD GET THE HELL OFF THE INTERNET OR STOP BEING SO LAZY AND MAKE THIER SITE WORK IN ANY BROWSER!

EDIT:

As an IT professional, my only response to that is a hearty, resounding, "no." I'm not even a web designer and even I understand how impractical it is to build and maintain websites for browsers that haven't been cutting edge since the nineties. What Kogan should do is completely cut off access to luddites who cling pointlessly to incredibly old client software. This way, they're not going to garner any negative press and their dev costs will go down.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
reply to Blackbird

They probably won't let IE6 in the door at all.

It occurs to me that if you are using old software and old hardware, you may not really be in the market for whatever is for sale at that site. If that is the case, then Kogan isn't losing anything by threatening to charge a tax or fee on IE7 use.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to Oedipus

Re:  

said by Oedipus:

As an IT professional, my only response to that is a hearty, resounding, "no." I'm not even a web designer and even I understand how impractical it is to build and maintain websites for browsers that haven't been cutting edge since the nineties.

Since you're not a web designer I should point out that it's easy to write browser-specific css. The variables are well known, and you can reuse the same rules on countless sites.

So as a fellow IT professional who does build websites, I say phooey. People who claim it can't be done or takes excessive programming are hobbyists. It's called degrading gracefully, and people do it every day.

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to Oleg

said by Oleg:

It's an older version of Firefox.

Goes back about 15 years.
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

1 recommendation

said by jadinolf:

said by Oleg:

It's an older version of Firefox.

Goes back about 15 years.

I would say more like Netscape, but it was a great browser back than.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to goalieskates

Re:  

said by goalieskates:

said by Oedipus:

As an IT professional, my only response to that is a hearty, resounding, "no." I'm not even a web designer and even I understand how impractical it is to build and maintain websites for browsers that haven't been cutting edge since the nineties.

Since you're not a web designer I should point out that it's easy to write browser-specific css. The variables are well known, and you can reuse the same rules on countless sites.

So as a fellow IT professional who does build websites, I say phooey. People who claim it can't be done or takes excessive programming are hobbyists. It's called degrading gracefully, and people do it every day.

Did you ever read this thread.
»www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthr···-support

Too many legit reason not to support IE7 because there are different kinds of site with various complexities and they never were created equal.

So it is not that it can't be done..but rather many reasons not to do it.
--
Gladiator Security Forum

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

2 edits
Oh yea. I have seen sites like this, that are IE only. " Your browser is not supported. Download IE Now ".
Maybe this is why many companies are using IE.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
said by Oleg:

Oh yea. I have seen sites like this, that are IE only. " Your browser is not supported. Download IE Now ".
Maybe this is why many companies are using IE.

Well for those who missed it..Kogan's is in Australia. So you might want to read the comment from the locals. This one stands out
"Laughing at the minority of posts that slam this as anti-customer. Firstly Kogan's the PR stuntman extraordinaire, this is not designed to raise revenues people. Secondly IE7 is used by about 2-3% of all web users in Aus so the backlash risk is very minimal. As many have pointed out, it's not obligatory, just take the 2 minutes to upgrade. Any fool who pays the fee (tax or surcharge, who really cares?) deserves anything they get. I'm not a huge fan of the business but I have to say well done in this case, major media coverage for the cost of a simple webpage."
more here..
»www.kogan.com/au/blog/new-intern···r-7-tax/

Dude is wrong they have great stuff and excellent price in their marketplace.

But back to the no support for IE7

»www.blogtap.net/drupal-8-drop-support-ie7/

»www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGG···+support
--
Gladiator Security Forum

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to Name Game
Maybe i didnt look @ the whole site......

All i saw was smartphones and some other spying stuff...

said by rcdailey :
I browsed thier site w/o any problems with IE6. (Well MyIE2)

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
said by Dude111:

Maybe i didnt look @ the whole site......

All i saw was smartphones and some other spying stuff...

said by rcdailey :
I browsed thier site w/o any problems with IE6. (Well MyIE2)

FYI..people have already posted in the blog..

ndre • a day ago
How about IE 6??
26 •Reply•Share ›

SpamCatchTest • a day ago • parent
Just tested it, IE6 does not include the tax. This is an excellent workaround for people who don't want to update their browser.

»www.kogan.com/au/blog/new-intern···r-7-tax/
--
Gladiator Security Forum

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
Kinda funny considering if anything IE6 should be worse.

I guess it's too small a percentage to bother with.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL
reply to Name Game
I know someone who could not stand using IE6 anymore at work, so she has finally gave up by saying " I can't work like this! ", and she has installed Firefox on her office computer (against company's policy).

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
said by Oleg:

I know someone who could not stand using IE6 anymore at work, so she has finally gave up by saying " I can't work like this! ", and she has installed Firefox on her office computer (against company's policy).

I still have to use a telnet client to access mainframe programs at work... no point and click available.

Same software has been in use for decades.
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
Excellent!!!

Why change it if it works???? (ULTIMATLY IT GETS WORSE OR SOMETHING DOESNT WORK RIGHT)