1 recommendation

reply to jadinolf

Re: 6.8% tax on using Internet Explorer 7

said by jadinolf:

said by Oleg:

What is Internet Explorer?

It's an older version of Firefox.

Goes back about 15 years.

I would say more like Netscape, but it was a great browser back than.

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7
reply to goalieskates

Re:  

said by goalieskates:

said by Oedipus:

As an IT professional, my only response to that is a hearty, resounding, "no." I'm not even a web designer and even I understand how impractical it is to build and maintain websites for browsers that haven't been cutting edge since the nineties.

Since you're not a web designer I should point out that it's easy to write browser-specific css. The variables are well known, and you can reuse the same rules on countless sites.

So as a fellow IT professional who does build websites, I say phooey. People who claim it can't be done or takes excessive programming are hobbyists. It's called degrading gracefully, and people do it every day.

Did you ever read this thread.
»www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthr···-support

Too many legit reason not to support IE7 because there are different kinds of site with various complexities and they never were created equal.

So it is not that it can't be done..but rather many reasons not to do it.
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2

2 edits
Oh yea. I have seen sites like this, that are IE only. " Your browser is not supported. Download IE Now ".
Maybe this is why many companies are using IE.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
said by Oleg:

Oh yea. I have seen sites like this, that are IE only. " Your browser is not supported. Download IE Now ".
Maybe this is why many companies are using IE.

Well for those who missed it..Kogan's is in Australia. So you might want to read the comment from the locals. This one stands out
"Laughing at the minority of posts that slam this as anti-customer. Firstly Kogan's the PR stuntman extraordinaire, this is not designed to raise revenues people. Secondly IE7 is used by about 2-3% of all web users in Aus so the backlash risk is very minimal. As many have pointed out, it's not obligatory, just take the 2 minutes to upgrade. Any fool who pays the fee (tax or surcharge, who really cares?) deserves anything they get. I'm not a huge fan of the business but I have to say well done in this case, major media coverage for the cost of a simple webpage."
more here..
»www.kogan.com/au/blog/new-intern···r-7-tax/

Dude is wrong they have great stuff and excellent price in their marketplace.

But back to the no support for IE7

»www.blogtap.net/drupal-8-drop-support-ie7/

»www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGG···+support
--
Gladiator Security Forum

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to Name Game
Maybe i didnt look @ the whole site......

All i saw was smartphones and some other spying stuff...

said by rcdailey :
They probably won't let IE6 in the door at all.
I browsed thier site w/o any problems with IE6. (Well MyIE2)

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
said by Dude111:

Maybe i didnt look @ the whole site......

All i saw was smartphones and some other spying stuff...

said by rcdailey :
They probably won't let IE6 in the door at all.
I browsed thier site w/o any problems with IE6. (Well MyIE2)

FYI..people have already posted in the blog..

ndre • a day ago
How about IE 6??
26 •Reply•Share ›

SpamCatchTest • a day ago • parent
Just tested it, IE6 does not include the tax. This is an excellent workaround for people who don't want to update their browser.

»www.kogan.com/au/blog/new-intern···r-7-tax/
--
Gladiator Security Forum

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
Kinda funny considering if anything IE6 should be worse.

I guess it's too small a percentage to bother with.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
reply to Name Game
I know someone who could not stand using IE6 anymore at work, so she has finally gave up by saying " I can't work like this! ", and she has installed Firefox on her office computer (against company's policy).

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
said by Oleg:

I know someone who could not stand using IE6 anymore at work, so she has finally gave up by saying " I can't work like this! ", and she has installed Firefox on her office computer (against company's policy).

I still have to use a telnet client to access mainframe programs at work... no point and click available.

Same software has been in use for decades.
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
Excellent!!!

Why change it if it works???? (ULTIMATLY IT GETS WORSE OR SOMETHING DOESNT WORK RIGHT)

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
Fort Worth, TX
Because it doesn't work very well... and it has a damn steep learning curve. The commands are long, complex, and rarely make any sense.

It was probably great before the invention of the mouse
--

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Name Game

Click for full size
It sure doesn't look very good on IE 6. It gives the impression that the tax on IE 7 is $509!

Plus, IE stopped me from going there because it didn't have a revocation list for the certificate. That is not a secure site. I told IE to install the cert. It was happy then. (I guess the cert is for whenever you decide to buy then it is invoked).

The site looks better on Fx 4 but I bet Kogan would like to ban that version of Fx too.

(Ordinarily, I would not use IE 6 to go to some "unknown" to me site, or even known sites (except speed test sites), but I figured the site was not infected with you guys all visiting).

I must comment that IE 7 was a HORRIBLE browser which I ditched shortly after installing (the beta that had WGA hidden in the center of the installation so you could not back out and Microsoft told no one WGA would be forced installed along with IE 7, thus, us early installers got badly burned). So, I have no love for that browser but I don't think Kogan should be singling it out like this. There are a lot of old browsers out there that folks use.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
reply to burner50

Re:  

Is it secure telnet or just plain text?

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to Mele20
Hmmmm i wonder why you got that Mele!!!!

When i try to goto https://www.kogan.com/au i get redirected back to http://www.kogan.com/au (ONLY SSL SITES HAVE SECURITY CERTS I THOUGHT)

And your right the formatting IS a little bit off in IE6 but it still works fine for placing orders or browsing thier stuff.....

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
The url in the address bar was not https. I am not sure why IE6 gave me that warning. Notice the cert that IE complained about is from Verisign and has nothing to do with kogan.com. The cert is issued to "seal.verisign.com". I have no idea what that is exactly.

IE has been throwing this warning (about revocation information for a site) several times recently. Look where it put this cert: under "other people"! ???
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
Fort Worth, TX
reply to rcdailey
said by rcdailey:

Is it secure telnet or just plain text?

I know just enough to get what I need out of it... your question is beyond my understanding of the system.

I don't know how many security flaws there could be. It is a private network and outside access uses keyfobs.

No internet access at my terminal. Hell, it doesn't even boot into windows... I get a shell prompt with a couple buttons I can press. One for the telnet client and on for a work order application.

Pretty locked down
--

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

3 edits
reply to Mele20
You might be getting an HTTPS ad they have.....

See if it happens if you DISABLE SCRIPTS and visit the page.. Most likely will not..... (Internet options/security/custom and scroll down to ACTIVE SCIRPTING and disable it)

Make sure to remove that cert first!

EDIT:

I enabled scripts and went to the page.... THE FORMATTING IS MUCH BETTER WITH SCRIPTING ENABLED!!

But man oh man... Googleadservices.com tries to load,a twitter link and it locks up on facebook.... (When facebook tries to load thier crap it doesnt go any further)

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to Name Game

If you use your browser and actually start a shopping cart and try to start out buying stuff..a security cert is in order for a lame browser and would be offered.. You don't have to use the cert.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to Name Game

Ah i didnt try that!!

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

2 edits
reply to Dude111
Dude,
You and Mele20 seem to think you both have something in common since you both have IE6 and hit the threads in the forum with posting like this..let me suggest that you do not have that much..and should both look at what version of IE 6 you each are running..post the version number..because not all version of IE6 are equal...just like 5.5 and it depends on when one stopped updating the thing.
Also good idea to even compare cyber strenght.
Even then..I think Mele20 has hand picked and installed a few KB for IE6 she thought were important along the way..and it does matter on what OS you are running IE6. Not all SP's are created equal.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
Yeah...I obviously have an ancient version. I have XP Pro SP 2 so I couldn't update it past summer 2010.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
understand..but you can still upgrade if you want since there are sp3 CD's out there right ..I just think it was the fact you did not trust sp3..and I could never figure that out because with the rollup and all, SP3 was much more stable and let one get even more patch before they stopped supporting the thing.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

4 edits
reply to Name Game
Yes i know there are different IE6 versions

I think i have the original: 6.2800.1106IS

I found a page that explains ALL IE VERSIONS (up to 9).. I have wondered for awhile what they all exactly were!

»support.microsoft.com/kb/969393

said by Name Game :
If you use your browser and actually start a shopping cart and try to start out buying stuff..a security cert is in order for a lame browser and would be offered.. You don't have to use the cert.
OK i did not enable scripts,went to the bottom of the page and clicked CHECKOUT and it sent me to here

»www.kogan.com/au/cart/

I DID NOT GET ANY NOTICE ABOUT THE CERT BEING BAD.... (I checked the cert properties and they seem ok (ISSED TO KOGAN.COM))

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to Mele20
version 6.0.2900.2180 is really the one with Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (SP1) it was carried over on
IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158

»internet-explorer-6.en.softonic.com/

Drupal is in Australia..they have proggie to build website that are used over there.
They have had numerous complaints about IE6

One of our sites is not functioning in IE 6.0.2900.2180 version!

»groups.drupal.org/node/21206

They have had enough of it and now have dropped support for IE7 as well in their new version.

»www.blogtap.net/drupal-8-drop-support-ie7/
--
Gladiator Security Forum

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
quote:
version 6.0.2900.2180 is really the one with Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (SP1) it was carried over on
IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158

Check the page i posted above bud!

I have SP1 on 6.2800.1106IS IS = (Internet Service Provider (Whatever this is here for))

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

3 edits
Yes I know..have fun means you are using a version that was offered by one of your ISP long ago..it might not even have the blue "e" logo..some did ..some don't..but most ISP then added some quirky stuff and BHO's, etc. putting their bigfoot and footprint right up your backside.

example

»www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/hel···n-of-ie/

BTW that post was in response to Mele 20..but maybe your IE6 does not display that.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to Dude111
6.2800.1106IS is also a version one can not repair..

»en.community.dell.com/support-fo···17235962

Certs is all messed up too.
--
Gladiator Security Forum

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to Name Game
said by Name Game:

said by goalieskates:

said by Oedipus:

As an IT professional, my only response to that is a hearty, resounding, "no." I'm not even a web designer and even I understand how impractical it is to build and maintain websites for browsers that haven't been cutting edge since the nineties.

Since you're not a web designer I should point out that it's easy to write browser-specific css. The variables are well known, and you can reuse the same rules on countless sites.

So as a fellow IT professional who does build websites, I say phooey. People who claim it can't be done or takes excessive programming are hobbyists. It's called degrading gracefully, and people do it every day.

Did you ever read this thread.
»www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthr···-support

Too many legit reason not to support IE7 because there are different kinds of site with various complexities and they never were created equal.

So it is not that it can't be done..but rather many reasons not to do it.

You're missing one very important point: The goal of any business is to sell to customers who could just as easily give their money to your competition.

To that end, IT is only a support service. It doesn't rule - it's not the driving force. The customer is. And the minute you start punishing said customers, you're giving them a reason to go to your competition where they can buy in peace without all the lectures and attitude.

Too many IT pros have developed the attitude that they can dictate to the public, and they'll give you all sorts of technical justifications. They really need to step back and look at the bigger picture. Customers aren't stupid, and while they may not be able to follow the technical arguments they can sure pick up on attitude.

Is it more work to accommodate them? Sure. But what's more important to the business, the whining of your IT staff who might have to work a little harder or actually making money?

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
reply to Blackbird

said by Blackbird:

Hmm. Wonder what the tax rate is on Dude111 See Profile's IE6?

I have a copy of Netscape 2.x 16-bit in Win 3,.1 and Win 3.11 VM's. I wonder what the gong rate is for those?
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
reply to burner50

Re:  

I'm pretty sure you're okay. The only reason for secure telnet or telnet with secure shell is if the telnet session is remote. That is if you are connecting to the mainframe from another location via the internet. A local terminal with access only to the mainframe is about as secure as possible anyway. If a session included text being sent outside and it could be intercepted, then the only issue would be if any passwords and user names were transmitted in the clear instead of being encrypted.

I never actually used a secure shell. When I used a telnet connection to a remote system, there was no such thing and I hope no one ever got hold of a password, but it was not a system that would have contained any data that would have been useful to an attacker.

Some routers can be accessed via telnet, which could be a security issue, assuming that that access was made remotely.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.