Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan to jwillis00000

Premium Member

to jwillis00000

Re: VPN PPTP

The PPTP issue has not been resolved yet. We have just received the software update for this issue, but have only just begun testing the new version. Once this version is verified to work and is stable, we will be able to roll it out to customers.

OutdoorBill
@wideopenwest.com

OutdoorBill

Anon

Any even very approximate time frame? I've been getting less than satisfactory information for the past 5 weeks trying to call in. No one seems to care, just get you off the phone as quick as possible.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

We're hoping to put this out in July, if it proves to be stable. We've only just begun testing it.
chitown7777
join:2012-06-25
Naperville, IL

4 edits

chitown7777

Not trying to pile on here Dan, but I literally just got Ultra TV installed today, coming over from Comcast. I was super excited until my wife tried to VPN into work. She works from home a lot and it is absolutely critical. It's also such a basic function that I couldn't imagine it would possibly be a problem.

Needless to say, it failed. I enabled every pass through option, I took down the firewall, I put her laptop in the DMZ, I massaged the Arris unit with the finest exotic oils from faraway lands on a bed of rose petals...nothing works.

No PPTP = big fat no go. I've found and read every thread about this...we're hosed.

If this is such a known problem why aren't WOW installers and/or sales support being trained to screen people for VPN requirements BEFORE installation? Or at least testing as part of the install prior to sign-off?

Now my wife is up a creek and going to have serious issues with her job until we can get downgraded...we can't wait till July. We can't even wait until the end of the week.

I know you can't do much about it Dan, but perhaps you could put a word in about maybe sales/installers being bit more pro-active in alerting prospective customers to this.

Thanks for reading the rant.

Hope that software update works!

EDIT: Just got off the phone with wife's IT department and they claim they also support L2TP. Are there any known Ultra TV issues with that protocol? From the threads I have scoured, all I can figure out is that IPSec works and PPTP does not. L2TP does not work for us but it could just be due to a missing IPSec certificate. Just want to be sure it SHOULD work before barking up that tree.
chitown7777

3 edits

chitown7777

Ok, so my wife's company does use L2TP with IPSec in addition to PPTP. Problem is, the L2TP is not working and her IT has verified the issue is not her laptop (i.e., she has the cert). She gets the attached error.

nadams5755
join:2001-11-13
San Jose, CA

nadams5755

L2TP and PPTP both require some NAT helpers, both of which seem to be missing from these arris gateways...
chitown7777
Naperville, IL

chitown7777

said by nadams5755:

L2TP and PPTP both require some NAT helpers, both of which seem to be missing from these arris gateways...

Then why does WOW phone support only have PPTP documented as the problem protocol? Argh. I'm still annoyed that they don't warn people about this prior to install. Very Comcast like move.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

PPTP is the only VPN we're aware of having issues. We use IPSec internally, and none of our employees have had any issues connecting to the office using the gateways. I have sent you a private message with some more information, please check that and get back to me.
chitown7777
Naperville, IL

chitown7777

OK, so it turns out that the IT guy who initially looked into the L2TP/IPSec issue really didn't look into it sufficiently (if at all). This became apparent when I noticed it was bombing out before it even tried to communicate with the server. She had another IT resource look into it for her and it turns out there WAS an issue with the laptop configuration they gave her...it just never materialized before since she had been connecting with PPTP by default. Now it's fixed, we tested it at home, and stuff is working great.

Thanks Dan for the IM and the info...you rock. We're all good now.