uniqs
Expand your moderator at work

BACULUM
join:2011-10-31
Leander, TX

BACULUM to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ

Re: Armstrong getting caught up in lies

What I don't get is if they were all involved, why didn't the other guys demand their turn in the yellow jersey instead of letting LA have all the glory. I remain unconvinced.

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq

Premium Member

What I cannot understand is, if the evidence were so convincing why did the Feds drop the case?

Insight6
join:2012-08-25

1 recommendation

Insight6

said by capdjq:

What I cannot understand is, if the evidence were so convincing why did the Feds drop the case?

Because there wasn't sufficient evidence to warrant charges?

Also, unlike the USDA they weren't in a position to offer deals and incentives to the USDA "jailhouse informants" as well as other "witnesses" against Armstrong like the USDA is and has.

All that there is to be said has I think for the most part been all ready posted.

The one thing that is REALLY strange is that there are in addition to the gaggle of fellow cyclists testifying that Armstrong doped for his entire career and they themselves flunked drug tests plus the the other Tour or international bike winners and competitors of Armstrong that failed doping tests and were suspended as well as having their titles stripped and again all failed drug tests. All of them claim Armstrong was the worst offender. The longest offender. The "ringleader" and Godfather of doping including bullying others to dope, "Lance made me do it" and so on yet Armstrong is the ONLY one that never failed a test.

The only one. Like I said earlier as a legitimate question and point--were all of the numerous other failed caught cheaters morons so they got caught while Armstrong was some kind of Merlin?

Tokidoki
Premium Member
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY

Tokidoki to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
Armstrong is indeed a wizard apparently.

Insight6

Insight6

said by Tokidoki:

Yeah, really. I mean the guy allegedly got complete blood transfusions in his room converted to a medical facility and yet never was caught while a simple test caught all of his cycling critics. Pretty entertaining facts regardless of whether or not he doped.

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

1 recommendation

capdjq

Premium Member

There are a few athletes I hold above others. Armstrong is one of them. I find it very difficult to believe he could pass hundreds of drug tests. He was woken in the middle of the night, without warning, and tested, during races. He had tests every day during and before the tour. The French were out to get him. To my mind all we have are the words of cheaters who were caught. That's why, IMO, the Feds had no case. Their testimony would have been ripped to shreds by any competent defense lawyer.
Expand your moderator at work

Insight6

Insight6 to Tokidoki

to Tokidoki

said by Tokidoki:

Armstrong is a very polarizing individual, especially now. For those that take an interest in him and his current situation it seems to be either a hate or love, or condemn or praise attitude. There is but little room for middle ground.

But then reasonable minds can differ. That's simply how the world is and how it should be.

In the end no matter what any of his critics, supporters, or those of neutral or conflicting POV regarding Lance Armstrong, former World Champion and seven times Tour de France Winner the facts remain, and the facts regardless of the value one places on the morality of them are:

He was the fastest.
He was the strongest.
He was a sportsman.
He inspired.
He was the most accomplished.
He was the greatest of all time.

No words and NO ONE can ever change that. No notation in a "record book" can ever change the fact that he beat everyone, wore the Yellow Jersey and stood atop the podium.

History will decide. IMHO without any disrespect toward differing perspectives he will come out as described above.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Insight6:

He was the fastest.
He was the strongest.
He was a sportsman.
He inspired.
He was the most accomplished.
He was the greatest of all time.

No words and NO ONE can ever change that. No notation in a "record book" can ever change the fact that he beat everyone, wore the Yellow Jersey and stood atop the podium.

He beat them all, and a majority of them were cheaters too, including his own team.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ

Armstrong steps down as chairman of Livestrong cancer-fighting

Armstrong steps down as chairman of Livestrong cancer-fighting charity.
»www.foxnews.com/sports/2 ··· charity/

Lance Armstrong said Wednesday he is stepping down as chairman of his Livestrong cancer-fighting charity so the group can focus on its mission instead of its founder's problems.

Once Armstrong gave up the fight in August and the report came out, crisis management experts predicted the future of the foundation, known mainly by its Livestrong brand name, would be threatened.

The charity is now likely to suffer a long term slide in donations.

Silvanos
It's a new Silvanos experience
Premium Member
join:2002-10-07
Tonawanda, NY

Silvanos to Insight6

Premium Member

to Insight6

He will be remembered as an elite athlete who cheated.

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Gary, Ziggy, Max.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-20
La La Land

1 recommendation

JRW2

Premium Member

said by Silvanos:

He will be remembered as an elite athlete who beat competitors who cheated.

Fixed it for you..

Other than testimony from others who either admitted they cheated or were caught cheating, I have seen no conclusive proof that Lance Armstrong ever cheated.

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium Member
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH

1 recommendation

bjf123

Premium Member

I've been kind of following this story since it came out, mostly because I have a few friends who are big into cycling, so I don't have a horse in this race. Maybe I'm missing something, but from what I've read, you've got a bunch of people who got caught doping saying Armstrong was doping, too. Weren't his accusers caught by failing blood or urine tests? Didn't Armstrong pass all the same tests? Sounds like sour grapes to me.

JRW2
Premium Member
La La Land

JRW2

Premium Member

said by bjf123:

Maybe I'm missing something, but from what I've read, you've got a bunch of people who got caught doping saying Armstrong was doping, too. Weren't his accusers caught by failing blood or urine tests? Didn't Armstrong pass all the same tests? Sounds like sour grapes to me.

That's my take on the situation...

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ

Nike drops Armstrong

»www.nytimes.com/2012/10/ ··· tml?_r=0

The fallout from the antidoping agency’s report also prompted Nike, the company that stood by Armstrong through more than a decade’s worth of doping allegations, to terminate his contract on Wednesday.

In a statement on Wednesday morning, Nike said the evidence that Armstrong had doped was so overwhelming that it could no longer partner with him. In the past, the company stood by athletes like Kobe Bryant, who was accused of sexual assault but never convicted; Michael Vick, who was convicted and served time in a federal prison for his role in a dogfighting ring; and Tiger Woods, who gained international notoriety for his extramarital affairs.

“Due to the seemingly insurmountable evidence that Lance Armstrong participated in doping and misled Nike for more than a decade, it is with great sadness that we have terminated our contract with him,” the statement said. “Nike does not condone the use of illegal performance enhancing drugs in any manner. Nike plans to continue support of the Livestrong initiatives created to unite, inspire and empower people affected by cancer.”

There goes a huge chunk of his regular income.

Silvanos
Premium Member
Tonawanda, NY

Silvanos to JRW2

Premium Member

to JRW2

My comment did not need fixing thanks anyway

JRW2
Premium Member
La La Land

JRW2

Premium Member

said by Silvanos:

My comment did not need fixing thanks anyway

Yes it did, because there has been no proof, only accusations...

Silvanos
Premium Member
Tonawanda, NY

Silvanos

Premium Member

There's still no reason for YOU to correct MY opinion.

Tokidoki
Premium Member
South Richmond Hill, NY

1 recommendation

Tokidoki

Premium Member

said by Silvanos:

I think turkey bacon is awesome.

Fixed that for you.

JRW2
Premium Member
La La Land

1 recommendation

JRW2

Premium Member

said by Tokidoki:

said by Silvanos:

Fixed that for you.

Bite your tongue!!!
Turkey bacon is an abomination!!!

Tokidoki
Premium Member
South Richmond Hill, NY

Tokidoki

Premium Member

said by JRW2:

said by Tokidoki:

said by Silvanos:

Fixed that for you.

Bite your tongue!!!
Turkey bacon is an abomination!!!

That's why I typed that. To poke a little fun with fixing quotes

For real though, let's relax and take it easy and not get angry over all this. Only one we should care to reply to is ZZZZZZ who prefers guilty before proven innocent. I do wonder what Nike saw that made them decide to kill off the contract.

JRW2
Premium Member
La La Land

JRW2

Premium Member

said by Tokidoki:

I do wonder what Nike saw that made them decide to kill off the contract.

So do I...
I suspect there was no proof, but pressure from outside the company and investors...

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness to FFH5

to FFH5

Re: Nike drops Armstrong

said by FFH5:

Nike drops Armstrong

Anheuser-Busch, Trek bicycles, Radio Shack, Giro (helmet manufacturers) and Honey Stinger also dropped him. He resigned from the FRS Co board.

I don't think Nike ever dropped Tiger Woods, did they? They dropped Vick but re-signed him when he got out of prison and had shaped up. And they removed Paterno's name from their child care center.

JRW2
Premium Member
La La Land

JRW2

Premium Member

said by fatness:

said by FFH5:

Nike drops Armstrong

Anheuser-Busch, Trek bicycles, Radio Shack, Giro (helmet manufacturers) and Honey Stinger also dropped him. He resigned from the FRS Co board.

I don't think Nike ever dropped Tiger Woods, did they? They dropped Vick but re-signed him when he got out of prison and had shaped up. And they removed Paterno's name from their child care center.

I think the later ones were just getting on the bandwagon so to speak, by dropping him...

Blogger
@mpionbroadband.com

Blogger to fatness

Anon

to fatness
said by fatness:

It's strictly business, nothing else. Armstrong has been retired for over five years. He will now no longer compete in even triathletes as before. So he is done as competitor and as a dominant active athletic name. Now that isn't competing all and out of the sport for such a time all that is in the news is the doping. Nothing else. In only makes sense to drop him by most sponsors.

I also wouldn't compare him or Woods for that matter to Michael Vick convicted violent felon.

Vick certainly didn't shape up IMO. He simply served his time in the joint. He shaped up only in the most irrelevant sense in that he stopped running a dog fighting ring and stopped violently and brutally personally killing the dogs that lost their vicious fights he ran. Shaped up is not a term I personally would choose.

But...Vick can still compete at the most difficult team sport position in the world so that's the whole story. As soon as he goes into the dumpster and leaves the NFL so to will his sponsors leave him. Faster than Armstrong.

JRW2
Premium Member
La La Land

JRW2 to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ

For all of you who are relishing the take-down of Armstrong, you have also probably succeeded in taking down Cycling too...

»www.cnn.com/2012/10/19/u ··· pt=hp_c1
quote:
The latest bad news came Friday when Dutch bank Rabobank announced it would no longer sponsor professional cycling teams after the controversy that has engulfed Armstrong and the cycling profession.

The bank, which has sponsored teams for the past 17 years, made it clear that its decision to end its sponsorships by the end of the year was to distance itself from the doping allegations.

"It is with pain in our heart, but for the bank this is an inevitable decision," said Bert Bruggink, of Rabobank's managing board.

"We are no longer convinced that the international professional world of cycling can make this a clean and fair sport. We are not confident that this will change for the better in the foreseeable future."
Was all this really worth the final outcome???

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

said by JRW2:

For all of you who are relishing the take-down of Armstrong, you have also probably succeeded in taking down Cycling too...

Was all this really worth the final outcome???

You know what is really sad is that Armstrong would have his cycling fundraisers in Kitchener for our cancer centre, I think it raised something like $15 million in a short time span. That's a lot of money...now, gone away.