MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

1 recommendation

CylonRed

MVM

Broke down and ordered me a GTX 670

last night for $419.00. Hopefully will fit in my case and still allow me to power on my PC

I had to shut my wife's Boinc down as it went back to freezing her PC again. I will get multiple CUDA cores running on it asap - might be here by tomorrow.

HFB1217
The Wizard Premium ExMod 2000-01

join:2000-06-26
Camelot SwFL

HFB1217

Great Card and you should be SMOKING those work units.

Thanks

Hank

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

Got it installed - had the clean the insides up a bit (lots of dust). Used the luntics installer and all of my CUDA WU's had errors so I will have to see if newly downloaded ones will be ok. Once that goes ok I will have to see about increasing the number of CUDA processes.

Now I am going to crank up FS X and move all of the sliders to the max.
CylonRed

CylonRed

MVM

GPU_Z

Click for full size
Ok - got more CUDA WUs and now processing 4 cuda and 4 cpu instances. CUDA is taking between 8-12 minutes it look like.

Not sure I can run more than 5 instances - already at 99%. Temps are not bad considering my room is very warm and only ~50% fan speed.

Will try 5 or more tomorrow...
red230
join:2003-11-07
Monterey, CA

red230

I've heard that there is minimal gain after running more than two instances. I've got two on my 570 and it's at 95%. There's also an issue of available memory on the card as CUDA units need a bit to run so you may actually be slowing it down by running too many CUDA units at the same time.

I'd be interested to see where your RAC eventually levels out (especially since it'll probably be higher than mine).

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

I updated to 5 late last night. It looks like the times have about doubled from the original 4 instances. Probably do a week or two with 5 CUDA and 4 CPU and see what the RAC is and then go back to maybe 2 and see if the RAC stays the same or moves either way....

Will have to find a way to track how long BIONC is not used when I shut it off to play games. I will need to normalize that over the weeks.
CylonRed

CylonRed

MVM

Looking at the times for probably 20-30 CUDA units - the times range from 8 minutes to 1 hour. Temps this morning to 76 C at 53% fan speed.
CylonRed

CylonRed

MVM

Click for full size
Fairly wide variety of finish times fro CUDA units...
red230
Monterey, CA

red230

I think that looking at where your RAC eventually stabilizes at is a better metric. Unfortunately that means that you're going to have to run it for about a month with a certain setup.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

True - hopefully it stabilizes soon... So far - RAC is up to 12,300+ - double the old RAC so far...
CylonRed

CylonRed

MVM

Up to 20K+...
CylonRed

CylonRed

MVM

Just under 25K - almost 4 times the average work.
CylonRed

CylonRed

MVM

Got just above 25K yesterday then started to play a game and I think it is done peaking at 24,800-25,000 from about 6200-6400

glennaxl
Premium Member
join:2007-02-16
Zion

glennaxl to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
How many instances are you running?

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

4 CPU and 5 GPU. I think I will back it down to 3 GPU (keeping the same 4 CPU) and see if the numbers go either direction.

glennaxl
Premium Member
Zion

glennaxl to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
For my GTX580, the optimal instances is 2.

You might want to lower the GPU instances as you have more than 15Mins of runtime for certain WU.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

I have backed the GPUs down to 3 and will see what happens after that....
CylonRed

CylonRed

MVM

25,900+ with 3 GPU instances. Times range from 39 minutes to less than 4 minutes. Most in the 4-7 minutes range.
CylonRed

CylonRed

MVM

said by CylonRed:

25,900+ with 3 GPU instances. Times range from 39 minutes to less than 4 minutes. Most in the 4-7 minutes range.

Looks like a range between 25,500 and 25,800 or so with 3 GPU and 4 CPU instances.

glennaxl
Premium Member
Zion

glennaxl to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
Lower it down to 2 as your APR is low. Check the top 20 computers and their APRs are in 200+.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

APR?

Moved to 2 CUDA instances...
red230
Monterey, CA

red230

You should be getting more than that. I'm getting 33-37k per day with my setup and I've only got a 570.

»setiathome.berkeley.edu/ ··· =6421575

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

How many CPU instances are running? I don't have an i7 (AMD here)...

glennaxl
Premium Member
Zion

glennaxl to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
APR = Average processing rate
It can be found on your computer's application details.

If you check my computers, those numbers are pure gpu as my cpu is crunching for WCG.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

Just over 26,900 RAC with 2 GPU instances and 4 CPU so this is the sweet spot for me....
red230
Monterey, CA

red230

I'm running 24/7 (although I do game from time to time) and my I-7 2600k running at stock speed (4 physical and 4 hyperthreaded cores going 100%) with a slightly overclocked 570 is getting me 33-36k per day. I was getting 36-39k with a 4.4GHz overclock on that box before a screwed up bios update from Intel disabled overclocking on my board. Then again I peaked at #3 RAC in SETI for single GPU machines back in May of this year so my experience may be skewed.

27k seems really light for a 670 if you're running it 24/7. The CPUs don't crunch as much as they used to when you compare them to what the GPU is putting out. I'm thinking that you should be around 35k or higher with a 670 if you're running 24/7.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

running 24x7 with light gaming when I shut it off but that is only a couple times per week. I am certain with a i7 I would get another 5K per day fairly easily but the only way to really know the output by the cards is to turn off the CPU work and just do the GPU and see the difference.

glennaxl
Premium Member
Zion

glennaxl

Premium Member

said by CylonRed:

running 24x7 with light gaming when I shut it off but that is only a couple times per week. I am certain with a i7 I would get another 5K per day fairly easily but the only way to really know the output by the cards is to turn off the CPU work and just do the GPU and see the difference.

Running AP(astropulse) on GPU will give you that bump on RAC.
glennaxl

glennaxl to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
Another thing is that, your running XP 32bit. You might want to upgrade that XP x64 or Win7 x64.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

I would like to do Win7 but...... I have things I would rather spend money on first. I still have not paid off the card.