Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to Jim7

Mod

to Jim7

Re: Basement

said by Jim7:

I don't mean to beat a dead horse but an inspector would probably tell you that that handrail has to return to the wall (top and bottom). I suppose you could terminate it at a post at the bottom. Are you planning on some sort of railing on the open side?

There are two separate issues with the hand rail. One is "Does it go far enough? and the other is "Should the handrail return to the wall". The pic you posted shows how a handrail could end in a post which would solve the first problem. Personally I'm not sure what code requires in this regard but I believe that the handrail is supposed to go as far as the bottom riser.

The second issue is that the ends of the handrail end in free space. The ends of a handrail are supposed to return to the wall. This is to prevent loose clothing or something like a purse strap from being able to catch on the free end of the handrail. Basically you are supposed to miter the end of the rail and glue on a small piece which returns to the wall.

Personally, I don't think it would look bad if the rail continued past the wall as far as the bottom riser, then returned back to the end wall (basically think of the handrail ending in a U shape going past the wall, ending in a piece with a miter on both ends and then a short piece returning to the wall of the hallway next to the stairs). This would take care of both problems. At the upper end, the rail should also return to the wall with a mitered piece added to the end.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by robbin:

The second issue is that the ends of the handrail end in free space. The ends of a handrail are supposed to return to the wall.

See that's what I don't get.
If he extends the rail with a post, why would it need to return to the wall?

If you google "stair handrail" you'll see plenty of examples where it doesn't return to the wall, no reason to do so:

Exibit RAIL

Though, in my opinion, it would have been better if the handrail was on the open side of the stairs, like in the picture above.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

It does not need to return to the wall if it ends in a post. Normally posts are used when you are installing a handrail on the open side of the stairs. When installing a handrail on the closed, wall side is when it is supposed to return to the wall. In the OP's case, they installed the handrail on the wall side but did not return it to the wall and also did not extend it as far as the bottom riser.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

said by robbin:

When installing a handrail on the closed, wall side is when it is supposed to return to the wall.

Correct.

This is to prevent clothes from catching on the exposed end and causing a fall down the stairs.

And that is also why I suggested extending the wall on the closed side...to meet the requirement to extend the handrail.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

See that's what I don't get.
If he extends the rail with a post, why would it need to return to the wall?

If you google "stair handrail" you'll see plenty of examples where it doesn't return to the wall, no reason to do so:

Exibit RAIL

Though, in my opinion, it would have been better if the handrail was on the open side of the stairs, like in the picture above.

It would be easy and cost effective for the OP to install the rail on the open side which would look better and solve his problem of 6 steps on that side open with out a railing. That would make the rail on the wall side work perfectly.

The image you posted is a perfect example.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin to John Galt6

Mod

to John Galt6
said by John Galt6:

And that is also why I suggested extending the wall on the closed side...to meet the requirement to extend the handrail.

Looking at the pics again, I am starting to wonder if a railing and ballasters are not required due to the height on the open side. I think you need them if it is over 30" high.

Even if that were installed though, the current railing needs to be modified so that it returns to the wall top and bottom.