Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues

Re: [Rant] Work locked down laptop

said by elwoodblues:

But as you said, it's a family business, and it will be yours (or partially yours) one day. So it's in your best interest to make sure it stays solvent, if that means working weekends.. so be it. When your son (and if you have more kids) is old enough to enter the workforce (yeah I know that's a way off) you can have weekends off again.

Well that's exactly it. I have a vested interest in the operation. But you know what? I love every minute of it. I wouldn't want it any other way, even though the idea of having a Saturday to myself is a foreign concept. Saturdays are my favourite days at the store. You can kick back and everyone you encounter is in a great mood. I enjoy being here more on the weekend than I do at home, haha.

And really, I doubt I'll ever truly have weekends off, because my father-in-law has been in the business for 30 years, is pushing 60 years old and he is still in here with me on the weekend. When Willy is old enough and if he chooses to come in here, I'll be here at his side just like my FIL is with me now. It's just the way you live. It has its drawbacks, but the benefits are enormous.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00

Premium Member

said by Gone:

said by elwoodblues:

But as you said, it's a family business, and it will be yours (or partially yours) one day. So it's in your best interest to make sure it stays solvent, if that means working weekends.. so be it. When your son (and if you have more kids) is old enough to enter the workforce (yeah I know that's a way off) you can have weekends off again.

Well that's exactly it. I have a vested interest in the operation. But you know what? I love every minute of it. I wouldn't want it any other way, even though the idea of having a Saturday to myself is a foreign concept. Saturdays are my favourite days at the store. You can kick back and everyone you encounter is in a great mood. I enjoy being here more on the weekend than I do at home, haha.

And really, I doubt I'll ever truly have weekends off, because my father-in-law has been in the business for 30 years, is pushing 60 years old and he is still in here with me on the weekend. When Willy is old enough and if he chooses to come in here, I'll be here at his side just like my FIL is with me now. It's just the way you live. It has its drawbacks, but the benefits are enormous.

That has most of the hallmarks of being de facto self-employed. And that's what self-employment typically looks like: you work harder than ever, but you do it on your own terms and because you want to and feel you're part of something, and are constrained only by the nature of the business itself. Self-employment is more about satisfaction than about freedom -- the folks I know who work for themselves have less free time than anyone. It's generally the salaried folks who are complacent goof-offs, and they're also the ones with high blood pressure.