Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ansky

join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ
reply to PhoenixOne

Re: "A Revolution is Coming" commercial

Does the average consumer really have the need for the faster internet speeds? It's not going to make any difference while web browsing on a typical computer. I have the feeling this is mostly marketing to get people to spend more money on something they really don't need.

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to joe01880
said by joe01880:

I read someplace, Endgadget perhaps or CNET about Verizon and AT&T restructuring their wireless plans to include unlimited family plans that would include LTE usage for your home as well as your cell phone, maybe that is going to extend in to TV as well and that is what they are pointing at in the commercial.

Unlimited would be great, but they're not doing that. You'll be able to share your data among devices that are on your plan. But it's going to be VERY expensive. The first option, 1GB, is going to cost $50/month. What is that, probably half a movie on Netflix on an iPad or phone?

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
reply to ansky
said by ansky:

Does the average consumer really have the need for the faster internet speeds? It's not going to make any difference while web browsing on a typical computer. I have the feeling this is mostly marketing to get people to spend more money on something they really don't need.

You know, I hear this argument, and my simple answer is 'yes'. Do I need 300 Mbps? No. Could I use 75? Absolutely. If you just have one computer hooked to the internet, then no, you don't. You rarely take advantage of that speed on downloads. Where does it come into play? When you have multiple devices hooked up. Households are expanding the number of connected devices at a pretty decent clip. For example, I have 5 kids. And in my household, we currently have the following list of devices that can/do connect to the web:

1 PC
1 Laptop (soon to be one or two more)
2 BD players
1 smart TV
1 Wii
1 Nintendo DSi
2 iPod Touches
3 Kindles

Do they all hook up at once? Generally not, but there have been times where I've stressed the limits of my 35Mbps connection. Throw in someone watching something on demand, or my kids having friends over (why they feel the need to bring their own devices, which also go over my network while they're at my house is beyond me... but they do), which happens with great regularity... and there are definitely times where we're stressing the limits of our connection.

That's why I think you're seeing these moves. No, most of what people do on line doesn't require blazing fast speed. But the number of connected devices per household is increasing at a pretty quick pace. Heck in our house alone we'll probably have another 3 or 4 such devices before the end of summer. And we're not even far from typical for a household our size (many people are shocked that we only have 2 computers so far... most families around me have far more devices per person than we do).

batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Verizon FiOS
reply to ansky
One school of thought says that, "In the future, everything will be delivered via IP, so we need mondo-bandwidth..." Another view is, "No one on earth needs 300Mbit of bandwidth- how could you ever use it??" The Chevy dealership down the street only sells Corvettes now "Sorry, we don't sell the $25,000 Malabu anymore, we only offer the $70,000 Corvette." What does an 80-year old retiree need with a $70,000 Corvette?

joe01880

join:2007-10-26
Wakefield, MA
reply to amarryat
said by amarryat:

said by joe01880:

I read someplace, Endgadget perhaps or CNET about Verizon and AT&T restructuring their wireless plans to include unlimited family plans that would include LTE usage for your home as well as your cell phone, maybe that is going to extend in to TV as well and that is what they are pointing at in the commercial.

Unlimited would be great, but they're not doing that. You'll be able to share your data among devices that are on your plan. But it's going to be VERY expensive. The first option, 1GB, is going to cost $50/month. What is that, probably half a movie on Netflix on an iPad or phone?

Not the same article i saw but one like it; »telecomlead.com/inner-page-detai ··· Provider makes mention of unlimited voice and messaging and is also speaking of sharing usage amoung devices as you pointed out. The first one i read I thought it said something about it being $90 per month but that may have been for business. I wish i could remember where i saw it, getting old sucks at times.
As for sharing usage cant that be accoplmished now using your smart phone as a hotspot? I dont know if VZ does that, i use Sprint.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
kudos:1
reply to knarf829
said by knarf829:

We already know what's happening on the 18th. Now they're advertising it.

I love speculation as much as the next guy, but what exactly about an Apple App would be "revolutionary"? Just about every cable operator besides Verizon has one. Not exactly a "revolution" to catch up with everyone else.

The speeds are the revolution. Sorry to disappoint.

I agree. I would add though using words like 'revolutionary' when your product is hardly that never stopped companies like Apple from doing it, lol.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to joe01880
said by joe01880:

Not the same article i saw but one like it; »telecomlead.com/inner-page-detai ··· Provider makes mention of unlimited voice and messaging and is also speaking of sharing usage amoung devices as you pointed out. The first one i read I thought it said something about it being $90 per month but that may have been for business. I wish i could remember where i saw it, getting old sucks at times.
As for sharing usage cant that be accoplmished now using your smart phone as a hotspot? I dont know if VZ does that, i use Sprint.

Currently you have to pay extra to use your phone as a hotspot. With the new plan you won't, however at $50 for 1GB, or $100 for 10GB, you'll be breaking the bank if you do that on Verizon. And each smartphone will cost $40/month before the data that you MUST buy. So for one person using a smartphone and only 1GB data per month, it will be $90. And yes, it will be unlimited voice and text messages. I think that the unlimited minutes sounds good but doesn't impact many people - we have the 1400 minute plan with 4 lines and never come close to using all of them.

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to PhoenixOne
Residential customers don't need that much speed.

VerizonCynic

join:2006-10-25
Lakewood, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to PhoenixOne
The revolution is coming. I am a "fiber cutter" lol. I am ending my TV and phone contract and going with "Naked FIOS". They pleaded with me not to go. But I said well a revolution is coming.... I really dont need 100mb or even 50 mb. I have 15/5 and get about 25/5 in reality. All I need for now

You really cannot match a triple play with a double play so I am going with a single play. that is where the savings kick in.
--
Lakewood Accountability Action Group | »www.LAAG.us | Demanding action and accountability from local government

Niarlan
Excelsior
Premium
join:2002-11-09
Manville, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to PhoenixOne
more speed..who needs more speed, what we have will last a long time...as a great man once said ...

BILL GATES:
I have to say in 1981 making those decisions I felt like I was providing enough freedom for ten years, that is the move from 64k to 640k felt like something that would last a great deal of time

Nia

PhoenixOne

join:2009-12-16
Old Bethpage, NY
reply to Nezmo
And don't forget one of Apple's favorite..."Magical".

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
reply to PhoenixOne
IF the pricing is too high, they might as well throw money down the toilet on advertising! The tiers aren't even symmetrical.. keep copying what the cable companies do at higher prices and that spells lower revenue.

OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA
reply to PhoenixOne
I just saw the ad. My guess is that they are going to take some that is affordable and put it completely out of the reach of all but a few. I think the laptop at the end looks like it is made of platinum.

Grover8

join:2012-01-06
Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to PhoenixOne
hm.. i haven't had time to watch tv. anyone have a clip of the ad? just curious

PhoenixOne

join:2009-12-16
Old Bethpage, NY
Here is the commercial.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVqO7s3r ··· O7s3rN7I

Teddeli

join:2006-12-06
Merrick, NY
reply to tnsprin
What public wifi? I have yet to see Verizon branded public wifi anywhere.

Cthen
Premium
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
reply to PhoenixOne
Yeah, everything is a revolution these days.

IPv6

@verizon.net
IPv6 MAYBE

rpjoe
Premium
join:2007-09-22
Rochelle Park, NJ
reply to Teddeli
ditto

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Jackarino
said by Jackarino:

So Exicting!

"We will, we will SHOCK YOU!" (well, not so much...)

For Verizon, any time they increase their rates, it's a "revolution". Most subs have 15/5--which is getting a big bump in pricing. Oh, great, relatively cheap super-fast tiers that no one but a sub-1% of their customer base would even notice the difference with.
--
Roku \r-k\ : geek-speak for à la carte, on demand infotainment
Expand your moderator at work

Grover8

join:2012-01-06
Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to PhoenixOne

Thanks for the video. I wish for the iPad app.
Expand your moderator at work

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to PhoenixOne

Ok now that Ive seen the commerical have to agree its about the new FIOS speeds.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
Yes we can

nyhighlands

@verizon.net
From seeing the commercial...the FIOS commercial not verizon wireless commercial. The power went out, all over the place but the girl was still able to get internet at the end. For FIOS Subscribers, it will be Wifi for customers only just like Optimum does.

That makes the most sense.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
Good thought