uniqs

Bry
join:2008-12-31
Canada

1 edit

Bry to ictpronow

to ictpronow

Re: [Eastern Ontario] Got cogeco last week. Plagued with DNS is

This really isn't funny, Cogeco_Aaron or whomever else is here representing Cogeco.. a comment about these NAT-only modems would be very much appreciated. Not everyone, especially people who are knowledgeable, are going to be happy about having to use crippled modems.

A lot of people would prefer to use their own devices to handle routing and NAT, i.e: a device running BSD or Linux.

Please tell me that there will be non-combination DOCSIS3 modems available for someone upgrading from say.. the "professional" tier when the time comes.

-Bry.
cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently
join:2011-04-19

cog_biz_user

said by Bry:

This really isn't funny, Cogeco_Aaron or whomever else is here representing Cogeco.. a comment about these NAT-only modems would be very much appreciated. Not everyone, especially people who are knowledgeable, are going to be happy about having to use crippled modems.

A lot of people would prefer to use their own devices to handle routing and NAT, i.e: a device running BSD or Linux.

Please tell me that there will be non-combination DOCSIS3 modems available for someone upgrading from say.. the "professional" tier when the time comes.

-Bry.

wait, what? this is his modem? oh lordy.

cogeco told me that (as a business customer), if i want a static IP, i have to use a cisco box between my modem and my PC-based router... so if i want to switch to DOCSIS3, i'll need to triple-nat my stuff? teksavvy is really looking like a good switch right about now.
Marcer
Premium Member
join:2007-07-08
Hamilton, ON

Marcer

Premium Member

Sorry All,

I'm actually on Vacation this week, but I'll jump in here to clarify.

1.) We offer a Cisco DPC3000, which is a straight-up DOCSIS 3.0 Modem unit, no Routing, no NAT, no Firewall, just a connection.

2.) The Cisco DPC3825 is designed around customers looking for Cogeco to provide a Wireless connection in the home, supported and configured by Cogeco.

3.) The Static IP product is not NAT'd. The Cisco box is there to provide a VLAN to our Core Routers, and the IPs provided are public routable blocks. You can run a layer 2 network and statically assign your block to equipment, setup one-to-one NAT through a router, setup PAT, or any mix of those...

ictpronow, regarding your modem, please feel free to PM me your Phone number and/or Address, and I would be happy to arrange to get a DPC3000 installed.

famine
@cgocable.net

famine

Anon

ictpronow

Like I said before, If I hadnt been hovering over the techs shoulder when he called up to get the password to modem, then he logged in and the first thing I did was have him change that password to one of my choosing.

Cogeco NOT giving people access to their wireless modem/router is stupid. So if you want to change your WPA key or open somes ports or something youd have to call and have the tech do that remotely, instead of doing it yourself.

Hell even bell doesnt try and lock the customer out of their wireless modem/router combos...

--------------------------------------------

ALSO, Disabling the SPI firewall fixed all the problems I was having, no one in the house has had an issue since that was disabled.