Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

1 edit

[Other] Microsoft to Launch Tablet to Rival iPad?

Microsoft Manufacturing Tablet to Rival Apple iPad

Microsoft is set to unveil a tablet next week that will mark its entry into rival Apple’s territory with its own branded product, TheWrap has learned.

The company has scheduled a secretive event for Monday at 3:30 p.m. June 18 in Los Angeles, where it will make a "major" announcement whose nature has not been disclosed. Even the venue has not yet been announced.

»www.thewrap.com/media/article/mi···er-44271

EDIT: tablet, not table!

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

said by darcilicious:

No. Microsoft will not have a tablet that will rival the iPad.

DelmarPip
Premium
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX
reply to darcilicious

if they do il buy it right away

DelmarPip
Premium
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX
reply to howardfine

it will surpass the ipad and becaome the elite tablet of the future because its microsoft

Razzy12345

@rr.com
reply to DelmarPip

Be warned that is ARM based tablet according to the article - it won't run today's Windows software but the new Metro apps. I'd take an Intel tablet instead for now.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
reply to darcilicious

I'm not really keen on a MS tablet. I don't feel MS can get the level of functionality we're seeing from Apple right now.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

1 recommendation

reply to darcilicious

About time we get a real tablet in the market and not just a toy.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to howardfine

said by howardfine:

said by darcilicious:

No. Microsoft will not have a tablet that will rival the iPad.

Correct. Anything MSFT comes out with will be far superior than a toy with apps.

- Owner of ipad1 and ipad2.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
reply to darcilicious

Ugh... How many times have we heard of products that would rival an apple product??

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to darcilicious

said by darcilicious:

Microsoft is set to unveil a tablet next week that will mark its entry into rival Apple’s territory with its own branded product, TheWrap has learned.

The company has scheduled a secretive event for Monday at 3:30 p.m. June 18 in Los Angeles, where it will make a "major" announcement whose nature has not been disclosed. Even the venue has not yet been announced.

»www.thewrap.com/media/article/mi···er-44271

EDIT: tablet, not table!

Seems unlikely (the microsoft branded part, not windows RT which has been long discussed and which is going to be released this year, for sure, with all the other Win8 products.)
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

mastsethi

join:2012-05-26
reply to djdanska

said by djdanska:

Ugh... How many times have we heard of products that would rival an apple product??

Yes, we have but win 8 is probably the closest. ipad is high end tablet and not the best. Microsoft has a lot to offer

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
San Diego, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by mastsethi:

said by djdanska:

Yes, we have but win 8 is probably the closest. ipad is high end tablet and not the best. Microsoft has a lot to offer

Many people also said betamax was a better product than vhs so you never know.
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to darcilicious

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Probably will not be any threat to the Ipad. Apple is firmly entrenched in its user base, and uless the Windows tablet was some kind of crazy superior...which is doubtful...maybe it will be good...maybe even really good, but short of a landmark product, it won't get too many Apple defectors.

More important will be its potential effect on Android tablets...and even then, it had better be pretty impressive right out of the gate, or it may well be widely ignored. Windows smart phones are a great example. MS has yet to impress the marketplace with smart phones, will they fare better with tablets?

This news should be of little/no surprise to anyone, this is exactly why Win 8 is taking on the configuration that it is.
--
Deeds, not words

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to darcilicious

Their track record in trying to go after Apple sucks.

Zune (the iPod Killer) -Utter Failure
Kin - (the iPhone Killer) - Quietly disappeared

It will too fail , despite that it might be a better product, why? Too little too late. Why? Apps apps apps.

Why the MS tablet will get the requite Angry Birds, other vendors might be loathe to spend time and money developing for a 4th platform, and find it was for naught.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

You make a very good point and it was exactly what I was thinking.

For those paying attention, its hard to forget the Zune and the Kin. I never bought a Zune or a Kin (actually I did buy an 80GB Zune but I returned it and bought a 16GB iPod Touch) so I don’t feel burned but its quite a statement to drop a product line the way that they did. Its difficult to trust that a company will continue on with a product when they abort like that.

This is a little different though IMO. Windows 8 / Windows RT on x86 / ARM respectively is more like the PC industry IMO then the MP3 device / phone markets.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

Apps apps apps.

One SDK... four platforms: Desktop - half a billion users. WinPhone8 - not many. Windows Tablet (x86) and Windows Tablet RT (arm)

Same code. All platforms. Market Market Market.

I expect it could be good.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to darcilicious

Or it might be something else...

Speculation about the Los Angeles media event is that the company plans to unveil either a tablet computer or a system that uses an upcoming version of Windows to help people access TV shows and movies across a range of devices."

»www.oregonlive.com/business/inde···nno.html

I guess we'll know in a few hours!

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
San Diego, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by darcilicious:

Or it might be something else...

Speculation about the Los Angeles media event is that the company plans to unveil either a tablet computer or a system that uses an upcoming version of Windows to help people access TV shows and movies across a range of devices."

»www.oregonlive.com/business/inde···nno.html

I guess we'll know in a few hours!

What's wrong with the current options? There are plenty of ways to access and share tv shows across different devices. Hell, my vista machine could send recorded shows from wmc to apple products, android, and pretty much anything.
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium
join:2001-04-10
Houston, TX
kudos:3
reply to darcilicious

I'm curious to see if they actually come up with something unique and compelling or if it will just be a large Windows Phone. I keep waiting for somebody to release a tablet that I actually want but it seems that, for me anyway, tablets try to fill a void between my smartphone and my laptop that simply doesn't exist.
--
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

Razzy12345

@rr.com
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

Their track record in trying to go after Apple sucks.

Zune (the iPod Killer) -Utter Failure
Kin - (the iPhone Killer) - Quietly disappeared

It will too fail , despite that it might be a better product, why? Too little too late. Why? Apps apps apps.

Why the MS tablet will get the requite Angry Birds, other vendors might be loathe to spend time and money developing for a 4th platform, and find it was for naught.

As for Zune:
»www.pcworld.com/article/241167/m···ain.html

Kin on other hand is a joke, seemly came from Danger/Hiphop division. Microsoft have had Windows PDA/Phones for a longest time. Windows 7 phone marketshare is suprising good - I know numerous friends who has them.

Razzy12345

@rr.com
reply to djdanska

Yeah really, Just share the Recorded TV folder and viola. Anything can play from it. Even PS3.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to alg

said by alg:

I'm curious to see if they actually come up with something unique and compelling or if it will just be a large Windows Phone. I keep waiting for somebody to release a tablet that I actually want but it seems that, for me anyway, tablets try to fill a void between my smartphone and my laptop that simply doesn't exist.

It may just be my interpretation but it seems as if you’re saying there is no room for another device between your laptop and your phone. If that is indeed what you are saying then it just might be you aren’t a good candidate for a tablet. In other words, there is nothing wrong with tablets as they stand now and likely in the future, they just don't serve a need or niche for you.

If that be the case I’m not clear on why you would be waiting for a compelling tablet that you actually want.

The Asus PadFone seems like an unholy marriage between a phone and a tablet but it also seems a little like a gimmick. So beyond oddities like that I don’t think you’ll ever find what you’re supposedly looking for.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to Razzy12345

The phone market is tiny tiny tiny.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to darcilicious

In a very odd way, I think one of Apple’s greatest strength is their lack of choice and variety. If you buy Apples latest model when it is released you know there wont be anything better in the ecosystem until the next product refresh. That gives you a decent run before the next big thing (from Apple). That works out well for people who don’t want to research what they are buying or are uninitiated users. Little or no choice makes things simple and a lot of people like things simple,…..(I’ll resist the obvious “simple minded” joke but others feel free).

On the other hand there are a plethora of Windows OS, Windows phone and Android devices. So much choice that inexperienced users can easily be overwhelmed. One of the advantages of independent product cycles is that there can be faster responses to new hardware. So for example, the Intel Sandy Bridge-E platform or just about any new Intel platform can be rolled out by HP, Dell and others much faster then Apple. Serendipity or some kind of under the table deal would have to be made to allow Apple to get their products out faster (and I think we have seen evidence of this).

Microsoft releasing their own hardware can put them in the position of tighter controller over the given device as a whole but it doesn't stop the rush of other OEM products. It also puts them in competition with their partners which isn’t a good way to build trust and harmony.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to darcilicious

Follow the Microsoft event here. It started at 6:30P.M. ET.
»live.cnet.com/Event/Microsofts_m···_Angeles

Razzy12345

@rr.com
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

The phone market is tiny tiny tiny.

but growing.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
reply to darcilicious

Tablet it is!

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

Follow the Microsoft event here. It started at 6:30P.M. ET.
»live.cnet.com/Event/Microsofts_m···_Angeles

Ballmer unveils some type of tablet. More details to come.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to darcilicious

Tablet called Surface
USB 2!!! Ports magnisieum

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium