Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

1 recommendation

reply to aurgathor

Re: [Other] Microsoft to Launch Tablet to Rival iPad?

said by aurgathor:

said by mozerd:

My speculation is that Microsoft will be very price aggressive to gain market share FAST.

RT -- start at 399
Pro -- start at 599

Market share is everything and Microsoft understands the politics of MARKET SHARE.

My guess would be the RT being $100 - $150 cheaper than a comparable iPad, and the Pro being $100 - $200 more expensive than the RT. That would mean that:
a) with the RT, one gets roughly the same thing and the same amount of processing power for less money
b) with the Pro, one gets significantly more processing power for roughly the same amount of money

It will be interesting to see, if in the name of "competition" will Apple cut the price of the iPad to undercut Microsoft? They both can sustain heavy losses in order to maintain/gain market share.

This war will push prices on all the other Android products down also, in order for them to keep market share.

Interesting times ahead.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
Premium
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA

Yep I can't wait to see what this will all look like!

Razzy

join:2012-06-21

It's quite funny to see the news saying Windows Phone would overtake iPhone by 2015. Myself - before this Windows 8 phone was announced, I would have a hard time believing it. Now I see 8 in the news... my thoughts changed.

Definitely a different story with iPad.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

This war will push prices on all the other Android products down also, in order for them to keep market share.

New Android tablets (7", 1GB of RAM, v4.0) can be had for as little as $99 and even more upscale products are usually not that expensive.

Look at this list of Android tablets and compare it to the list of Windows tablets

The latter, in general, are significantly more expensive, much more than what could be explained by more memory and faster CPU.

So I don't think the M$ tablets will have much effect on Android prices, perhaps with the exception of the very high end, but Windows tablets, that's a whole different ballgame, and I think that explains all the sour grapes from makers of Windows tablets.

As for iPad prices -- I think Apple may cut prices, but that probably only happens if they have a very significant decline in sales. But given their fanbois, that's not very likely in the short term.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

It will be interesting to see, if in the name of "competition" will Apple cut the price of the iPad to undercut Microsoft?

In the Jobs biography, he said they don't pay any attention to Microsoft, or anyone else, when it comes to these things.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 recommendation

reply to aurgathor

said by aurgathor:

Look at this list of Android tablets and compare it to the list of Windows tablets

The latter, in general, are significantly more expensive, much more than what could be explained by more memory and faster CPU.

Sorry, no,....

I really don't think you can or should directly comparing ARM Android tablet pricing with existing X86 / X64 Windows based tablet pricing. I mean what are you expecting to accomplish by making such a comparison,...?

The high-end Windows tablets with Intel Core i5 and i7 processors at $1000+ are in a different category altogether,.......

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA

What I'm saying is that the cost difference in retail price is not proportional to the DMC. (Direct Material Cost)

In other words, the margin on Windows tablets is probably significantly higher than on Android tablets, and that may change when the Pro is released. Obviously, it is not going to dirt cheap, but it's likely to be a better value than many Windows tablets in the current crop. For M$, it makes sense to go for marketshare, at least initially, and don't worry too much about profits.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

What!?!

Sorry no, still not getting what you're saying.

Intel core i5 and Core i7 based tablets are not as cheap as nVidia Tegra 3 ARM SoC based tablets for example and for very good reason. I don't think margins are pushing prices of high-end x86 / x64 tablets higher then Android based ARM tablets if that is what you're saying,.....its an entirely different class of product and entirely different class of performance thats demanding a different (higher) price range.

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
reply to darcilicious

Tom's Hardware is finding the same thing I posted earlier. Business analysts don't think highly of Surface:

quote:
Microsoft's Surface was compared to "well designed, but traditional sports utility vehicle that can haul boats and climb a hill of rocks." The firm said that it doubts that "consumers will trade sports cars for trucks.

... it was unclear what Microsoft was trying to achieve with the tablet how a "mishmash" of Windows for desktops and for tablets could make sense.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

said by howardfine:

... it was unclear what Microsoft was trying to achieve with the tablet how a "mishmash" of Windows for desktops and for tablets could make sense.

Really? Unclear how an integrated offering from desktop to phone, including both a consumption-oriented and a hybrid laptop-tablet, all with a single API for Metro apps and a single store makes sense?

Weird that it makes sense for Apple, but not for Microsoft.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Razzy

reply to howardfine

And there's bazillion other articles saying it makes sense.

Heh.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to aurgathor

said by aurgathor:

said by elwoodblues:

New Android tablets (7", 1GB of RAM, v4.0) can be had for as little as $99 and even more upscale products are usually not that expensive.

They are crap running 2.2 on an underpowered processor. IMO this the exact problem with the Android market, no standards, anything can pass itself off as a "Android" Tabelet, but will it run apps? Not a chance in hell.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
reply to Razzy

said by Razzy:

And there's bazillion other articles saying it makes sense.

Heh.

The difference is, these are quotes from business analysts for large investment firms and not some tech writer somewhere.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA

1 recommendation

reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

They are crap running 2.2 on an underpowered processor.

The one I quoted is running Android 4.0, and it was available in Frys this weekend.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Razzy

reply to howardfine

Really? They don't pay attention to Google and Android?

Razzy

reply to howardfine

Ok......

»www.computerworld.com.au/article···nalysts/

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to JohnInSJ

If Microsoft wasn't forcing desktop users to use a mobile interface then these analysts wouldn't have even brought it up. Especially forcing this interface on Server 2012. They could've released Windows 8 with the mobile interface for mobile devices while the traditional desktop interface stays on the desktop with 32-bit and 64-bit apps working on either.

Microsoft brought this issue on themselves by overreaching and not truly listening to all their customers...consumers and businesses alike.

Razzy

said by kickass69:

If Microsoft wasn't forcing desktop users to use a mobile interface then these analysts wouldn't have even brought it up. Especially forcing this interface on Server 2012. They could've released Windows 8 with the mobile interface for mobile devices while the traditional desktop interface stays on the desktop with 32-bit and 64-bit apps working on either.

Microsoft brought this issue on themselves by overreaching and not truly listening to all their customers...consumers and businesses alike.

They didn't force me to use Metro UI on my Windows 8 desktop, although I use Metro Start Screen (which I like better than old start menu). I am using the "traditional desktop interface" the entire time I'm using Windows 8 on my desktop machine.

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

You know what I mean, being forced to use the Metro Start Screen and having to go back and forth between that and the desktop interface vs just booting into the desktop interface and avoid Metro altogether. Microsoft removing that option sealed the deal on these analyst's and others view on Windows 8 when used on a Laptop/Desktop with no touch interface.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to kickass69

said by kickass69:

If Microsoft wasn't forcing desktop users to use a mobile interface then these analysts wouldn't have even brought it up.

Start Menu vs Metro screen - after you get over it, you'll be over it. It takes about 10 seconds.

But anyway, that's the way they're going. If you don't like it, stay in the desktop on server.
--

Razzy

reply to kickass69

I THOUGHT I knew what you meant until I sat down and forgo all the reviews/hate/whatever and actually learned it.

Since then I loved it, I am much more productive with it. I cannot wait to upgrade to Windows 8 on my work production workstation/server.

Razzy

reply to JohnInSJ

Last I heard, Server 2012 is the same as Windows 8.

»www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405165,00.asp

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA

said by Razzy:

Last I heard, Server 2012 is the same as Windows 8.

»www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405165,00.asp

If by the same you mean you get the metro screen and not the start menu when you login/press windows key, yes it is. If you mean it's the same OS, no, it is not

It's a server OS. You're not supposed to be using it all the time anyway!
--

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to kickass69

said by kickass69:

They are not forcing me. I am like many who will be buying a new computer (still on XP Pro) before Windows 8 is released. I will use Windows 7 for the next 5-6 years. I'll be buying a new Dell Ultrasharp 24 inch monitor fairly soon too. I have no desire to mess up a $500 monitor with nasty fingerprints. Microsoft is supporting Win 7 until 2020 so they can go jump in the lake in regards to trying to force Metro on desktop users. They are just setting themselves up for a repeat of XP refusing to die...now it will be Win 7 refusing to die.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Razzy

reply to JohnInSJ

Oh that's what I meant =) I did mean by Metro UI/Start Screen would be the same in 8 when you click "start".

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

They are just setting themselves up for a repeat of XP refusing to die...now it will be Win 7 refusing to die.

You'll never update to anything Mele

I would guess Win8 won't be an upgrade in enterprises, which are only just now starting to roll out win7. The one *after* win8 would be the one enterprises upgrade to, and that will address whatever UI tweaks are needed - plus by then everything will be touch-enabled, or able to read minds, or whatever the next big thing is.
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Razzy

I think it’s a bit of an understatement to suggest that Metro is simply a Start menu replacement. I mean I agree that when I use it I can think of it as such but there are additional menu settings outside of the traditional Start menu that are accessible in Metro mode. I just think it’s a bit of an oversimplification to think of Metro as an expanded or glorified Start menu. I also fully expect that Microsoft will add even more menus and control panels to Metro in the future making the experience even more enveloping.

Anyway, I can deal with Metro (I kind of like it too now) and you can deal with it but clearly many others are either unwilling or unable to adjust to it. Metrosoft,….ummmm I mean Microsoft runs the risk of vilifying “Tiles”,…ummmm I mean “Windows” and its new Metro interface if it feels like a forced agenda to the user / administrator.

Real or not, if the perception is that Metro is an unusable dog then that is what it will be in the minds of the populous. In some cases reality is what people make it. In other words it’s the perception of reality, not necessarily reality itself that often shape our world.

Kerodo

join:2004-05-08
reply to Mele20

"They are not forcing me. I am like many who will be buying a new computer (still on XP Pro) before Windows 8 is released. I will use Windows 7 for the next 5-6 years. I'll be buying a new Dell Ultrasharp 24 inch monitor fairly soon too. I have no desire to mess up a $500 monitor with nasty fingerprints. Microsoft is supporting Win 7 until 2020 so they can go jump in the lake in regards to trying to force Metro on desktop users. They are just setting themselves up for a repeat of XP refusing to die...now it will be Win 7 refusing to die."

I have to agree with you 100%. There is no way I will accept Win 8 on a desktop or laptop. I will stick with Win 7 till support ends if necessary, or if I really get desperate, I'll use linux. Forcing Metro on desktop/laptop users is the biggest farce I've ever seen...

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

Windows 8 has the same quasi built in success as its predecessors given that it will be preinstalled on new PCs, laptops, ultra books, tablets and so on. Maybe there will be a downgrade option but Microsoft sells to OEMs in all likelihood on a much larger scale then individual users and "a sale is a sale is a sale".

Razzy

reply to Kerodo

said by Kerodo:

"They are not forcing me. I am like many who will be buying a new computer (still on XP Pro) before Windows 8 is released. I will use Windows 7 for the next 5-6 years. I'll be buying a new Dell Ultrasharp 24 inch monitor fairly soon too. I have no desire to mess up a $500 monitor with nasty fingerprints. Microsoft is supporting Win 7 until 2020 so they can go jump in the lake in regards to trying to force Metro on desktop users. They are just setting themselves up for a repeat of XP refusing to die...now it will be Win 7 refusing to die."

I have to agree with you 100%. There is no way I will accept Win 8 on a desktop or laptop. I will stick with Win 7 till support ends if necessary, or if I really get desperate, I'll use linux. Forcing Metro on desktop/laptop users is the biggest farce I've ever seen...

You know your monitor gets dirty overtime? When you cough or sneeze or whatever? There are far more nasty stuff than fingerprints on many monitors =)