spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Razzy12345

@rr.com
reply to djdanska

Re: [Other] Microsoft to Launch Tablet to Rival iPad?

Yeah really, Just share the Recorded TV folder and viola. Anything can play from it. Even PS3.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to alg

said by alg:

I'm curious to see if they actually come up with something unique and compelling or if it will just be a large Windows Phone. I keep waiting for somebody to release a tablet that I actually want but it seems that, for me anyway, tablets try to fill a void between my smartphone and my laptop that simply doesn't exist.

It may just be my interpretation but it seems as if you’re saying there is no room for another device between your laptop and your phone. If that is indeed what you are saying then it just might be you aren’t a good candidate for a tablet. In other words, there is nothing wrong with tablets as they stand now and likely in the future, they just don't serve a need or niche for you.

If that be the case I’m not clear on why you would be waiting for a compelling tablet that you actually want.

The Asus PadFone seems like an unholy marriage between a phone and a tablet but it also seems a little like a gimmick. So beyond oddities like that I don’t think you’ll ever find what you’re supposedly looking for.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to Razzy12345

The phone market is tiny tiny tiny.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to darcilicious

In a very odd way, I think one of Apple’s greatest strength is their lack of choice and variety. If you buy Apples latest model when it is released you know there wont be anything better in the ecosystem until the next product refresh. That gives you a decent run before the next big thing (from Apple). That works out well for people who don’t want to research what they are buying or are uninitiated users. Little or no choice makes things simple and a lot of people like things simple,…..(I’ll resist the obvious “simple minded” joke but others feel free).

On the other hand there are a plethora of Windows OS, Windows phone and Android devices. So much choice that inexperienced users can easily be overwhelmed. One of the advantages of independent product cycles is that there can be faster responses to new hardware. So for example, the Intel Sandy Bridge-E platform or just about any new Intel platform can be rolled out by HP, Dell and others much faster then Apple. Serendipity or some kind of under the table deal would have to be made to allow Apple to get their products out faster (and I think we have seen evidence of this).

Microsoft releasing their own hardware can put them in the position of tighter controller over the given device as a whole but it doesn't stop the rush of other OEM products. It also puts them in competition with their partners which isn’t a good way to build trust and harmony.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to darcilicious

Follow the Microsoft event here. It started at 6:30P.M. ET.
»live.cnet.com/Event/Microsofts_m···_Angeles

Razzy12345

@rr.com
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

The phone market is tiny tiny tiny.

but growing.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
reply to darcilicious

Tablet it is!

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

Ballmer unveils some type of tablet. More details to come.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to darcilicious

Tablet called Surface
USB 2!!! Ports magnisieum

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

It crashed lol

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

said by FFH:

Ballmer unveils some type of tablet. More details to come.

Wide, thin, and not high. 10.6" screen

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to darcilicious

They stole the playbook design, with changes
10.6"

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to darcilicious

Here you go

»www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/···ace.aspx

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

3 edits
reply to darcilicious

Another pic with the magnetic cover / keyboard shown.

»www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/···ace.aspx

Uses Intel i5 processors
600 dpi screen

Has 2 types of covers. Touch cover & a thicker Type cover with a trackpad.

The TYPE cover

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to darcilicious

the intel tablet looks pretty promising. The screen size should have been smaller but i'm sure it feels comfortable.

Definitely looks good enough to buy. Will be better than my touchpad and ipad.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to FFH

I5!!! It's going to eat the battery.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to darcilicious

MS pitching this as a laptop replacement & not just an iPad competitor. The Type Pad cover and desktop mode and MS Office all designed to replace laptops.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

3 edits
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

Still no comment from MS on battery life yet.
Or any mention of cell radio capability, though I guess you could plug one in to the USB port.

No price quotes yet except it will be in ballpark of larger Android tablets. Say $800 approximate.

CNet attendees not overly impressed with the event. Not enough info on apps software, cell service, or tie-ins with other MS devices like Xbox.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

Another tech web sites take on the new MS tablet:
»gizmodo.com/5919328/what-is-micr···ng-live/

Microsoft's press release:
»www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/pre···nce.aspx

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

I have an ASUS Eee Pad (Eee Slate) EP121-1A010M Windows Tablet PC with Intel Core i5 470UM (1.33GHz Turbo Boost up to 1.86GHz), 12.1" Wide SVGA, 4GB Memory DDR3 1333, 64GB mSATA SSD and Intel HD Graphics.

Its battery life isn’t anywhere near my iPad 3 or HP Touchpad but powerful x86 / x64 processor based Windows tablets (or even weaker Atom based) are not designed to compete with such ARM devises either. In addition, more powerful x86 / x64 based tablets will cost more (~$1000+ range. Its more akin to a laptop then an ARM tablet. Windows RT (ARM) will be more of a direct competitor so I think there may be some confusion if people think this is a direct competitor to the iPad or like ARM based devices.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

2 new tablets from Microsoft. The Windows RT & the Windows 8 Pro. Different hardware and different software.

Here is some info on the differences.
»www.engadget.com/2012/06/18/micr···-window/

Surface for Windows RT tablet »www.engadget.com/2012/06/18/micr···nounced/
Processor: NVIDIA-made ARM chip
Weight: 676 grams
Thickness: 9.3 millimeters
Display: 10.6-inch ClearType HD capactive touchpanel
Battery: 31.5Wh
I/O: microSD, USB 2.0, Micro HD Video, 2x2 MIMO antennae
Software: Windows RT + Office Home & Student 2013 RT
Accessories: Touch Cover, Type Cover, VaporMg Case & Stand
Capacity: 32GB / 64GB
Availability: "Around" the Windows 8 launch (fall 2012)
Pricing: To be determined

Surface for Windows 8 Pro tablet »www.engadget.com/2012/06/18/micr···s-8-pro/
Processor: Intel Core i5 (Ivy Bridge)
Weight: 903 grams
Thickness: 13.5 millimeters
Display: 10.6-inch ClearType Full HD (1080p) capactive touchpanel
Battery: 42Wh
I/O: microSDXC, USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort, 2x2 MIMO antennae
Software: Windows 8 Pro
Accessories: Touch Cover, Type Cover, VaporMg Case & Stand, Pen with Palm Block
Capacity: 64GB / 128GB
Availability: "Three months after" the Windows 8 launch this fall
Pricing: To be determined

It's worth pointing out that the ARM-based WinRT (psst -- you can catch up on what exactly Windows RT is here) model is both thinner and lighter than the version with Windows 8 Pro. Moreover, the battery is sized up in the latter, presumably to handle the higher power drain of the 1080p panel and the Core i5 processor.

Expand your moderator at work

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to darcilicious

Re: [Other] Microsoft to Launch Tablet to Rival iPad?

They are making a HUGE mistake, and it's going to cost them.
They are effectively biting the hand that feeds them. What do you think all the OEM's that buy MS licenses for their hardware are going to think, when their software supplier has gotten into the hardware business to compete directly against them?

If I was HP/Dell I'd be screaming pretty loud right now.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

Yeah MS will have to tread lightly there.

I’m just trying to recall a market where Microsoft basically competed with their partners successfully. With Microsoft Media Center and extenders 3rd party devices were all rendered obsolete and nonfunctional with the exception of the Xbox 360. Maybe not the best example though,….

Perhaps phones would be a similar model,….

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to darcilicious

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpzu3HM2CIo

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to darcilicious

I wonder if I can Nuke Windows 8 and go back to 7?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

Yes.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to darcilicious

I'll be looking to buy a Surface Pro when they are released. Wonder if I can get it in a bright Lime Green.

Blake

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Oooh...nice in lime but I want the magenta! I am interested in this too...the Pro one. But I wish Microsoft would change the name as "Surface" is stupid and hard to remember. I was trying to tell someone about it when I was out walking earlier today and, for the life of me, even though I had just been reading several articles about it....I couldn't recall the name.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

FS613
Premium
join:2002-11-18
Brooklyn, NY
reply to darcilicious

Is there any information about the Surface's print capability and which printers it's compatible with?