uniqs

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

Re: [Other] Microsoft to Launch Tablet to Rival iPad?

said by Mele20:

No, I don't multi task. It is not possible anyway....

So, um, when you are NOT working on your computer, but it's on, and say it's sitting there, and you're doing something else for a few minutes... and you look at the computer because it's time to start doing your laser-like single task you're going to embark on... you could look at the metro tiles you've selected to be shown on your monitor in one quick scan, and see if you have new mail, or if something interesting has happened with some people you follow, or if some news broke.

Then you could go to the desktop and return to your focused, single app.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to Razzy

to Razzy
said by Razzy:

There IS a normal desktop in Windows 8. Metro "doesn't get in your way" at all - I don't get that part. The only time I see Metro UI is when...

You are trying to get us to pretend the UI doesn't exist or with a wave of our hand goes away. If any of that was true, Microsoft wouldn't be promoting/selling/pushing it in everything we see. And no regular user is going to attempt to make Win8 behave differently than out of the box.
Razzy
join:2012-06-21

Razzy

LOL dude, I didn't say it doesn't exist. The Metro start screen is ALSO the desktop's start menu.

Like my friend said "It's like Mac OS X's mission control had sex with Android widgets and gave birth to this".

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

1 recommendation

darcilicious to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I generally do only one task at a time. I keep my computer's speakers turned off all the time unless I decide to watch a video which I don't do often. If I want to listen to music, I listen to music but I don't do other stuff then. If I want to admire the artwork on my walls then I walk around and do so. But I block everything out except what I am doing right then so I don't even realize there is anything on my walls when I am on my computer.

And most people aren't like this. That's what you seem to overlook, time and time again.

I work in a small office environment and at any given time, half of us have our headphones on, listening to music while we work to block out the distractions of other folks talking on the phone, talking with other folks, people coming in and out of the office, etc.

That is more the norm that what you describe for yourself.

So yeah, we get it, Windows 8 isn't for you, it will be too distracting.

Windows 8 is for me, I do like the notion of ambient tools, I like getting notified when I have new email (customers contacting me) just like I need the phone to ring when a customer calls me. And in between, I do (the rest of) my job.

P.S. I drive for over an hour each way to work, and if I didn't have music and audiobooks to help occupy my brain, I'd probably fall asleep. And in nearly 7 years of this commute, I have never caused an accident. I don't know if that qualifies as multitasking or not but I'd have to guess, yes it does.

mastsethi
join:2012-05-26

mastsethi to JohnInSJ

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

said by mastsethi:

Will Surface support external storage? It can really kill off the competition..

x86 is full win8. USB storage works fine there. The Arm tablet? Probably, Win Phone 8 (same core OS) supports flash storage, so it seems pretty likely.

If that's the case, it would sell like hot cakes. MS wouldn't give a reason to buy iPad

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to darcilicious

MVM

to darcilicious
I think I like this tablet:

The Modbook Pro gets official, CEO Andreas Haas talks success in an iPad world
quote:
It's easy to see his point -- the iPad and most Android tablets are certainly limited as tools for creative professionals. The Modbook Pro, on the other hand, gives the user full OS functionality on a stylus input device. With the base configuration, you're getting a 2.5GHz, dual-core Intel Core i5 processor (upgradable to a 2.9GHz, dual-core Intel Core i7), up to 16GB of RAM and up to either a 1TB HDD or 960GB SSD, for starters -- this is very much a real computer. On top of all of that is a pen system that offers 512 pressure levels on its 1280 by 800 pixel display.

And unlike past Modbooks, born in an era in which dual-boot wasn't the MacBook standard, the company is now pushing the Windows experience on this device. "The Modbook Pro runs both Windows 7 and OS X," says Haas, "and if you use them side-by-side and you don't mind, if you are one of those users who'd rather lose his right arm than a Mac operating system and you don't care, then I would actually expect you to end up on the Windows side of things."

I’d like to see it with Thunderbolt and a higher resolution though.

Not sure how they are pulling off this OS X support.
Razzy

Razzy

Yeah I can't see it either. Apple will iikely go after them.. unless of course (but I still cant see it) Apple allowed them to.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to darcilicious

MVM

to darcilicious
quote:
Surface is just a proof of concept?

Subject: General Tech | July 11, 2012 - 01:38 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: microsoft, surface, ballmer

Microsoft's CEO, Steve Ballmer, recently referred to the Surface ultraportable as "just a design point". This is bound to disappoint a lot of geeks who fell in love with the new touchscreen tablet/laptop which showed off the new Win8 interface in a much more effective manner than we have seen from previous computers. On the other hand, many OEM's will find this announcement reassuring as when the Surface was first introduced they were less than impressed at a software company muscling in on their territory. Still, he expects to sell a million or so of the devices so those who really desire a Surface should be able to get their hands on one.

»www.pcper.com/news/Gener ··· t-193411

As I suspected, more of a reference or proof of concept design then anything else. I also highly doubt that Microsoft ever referred to the Surface initiative as an iPad killer with any degree of specificity. There is room in the market for different kinds of tablets aimed at different price ranges and it is likely the media and those entrenched in one camp or the other (MS vs. Apple) that insist on forcing such an issue.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Razzy

Premium Member

to Razzy
How can I sit down and learn it when I currently have an XP Pro SP2 machine? I have to just read about it. I was able to do the Windows 7 public beta on a virtual machine so I know something about it. I had to immediately add third partly applications to get it to work as all previous Microsoft OS from 95 on through Vista have worked (classic mode). I don't even like Win 7 without third party applications so I can't imagine wanting Win 8 as my understanding is that you cannot use Classic mode on Win 8. You can on Win 7 but it was a hassle to do so with the public beta. Again, just from reading, I gather it became a bit easier with the release version. But I still face a lot of fixing of Win 7 to have it like all previous versions of Windows GUI wise.

I don't believe that Win 8 allows one to fix it. Microsoft has broken free of classic mode with Win 8 as far as I have read and I cannot test that for myself on this XP machine. I want Display Properties/Appearance/Advanced Display/Item List and there I configure Windows display and buttons as I want everything. I think Microsoft removed this in Win 8. In Win 7 public beta it was accessible ONLY from Accessibility type themes until I was able to force Win 7 to let me make my own theme and forced use of Item list. Win 7 kept trying to force me to use Accessibility special themes if I wanted the Advanced Display properties/Items list. Drove me nuts but I heard that changed with the final release version of Win 7. I also heard that classic display is completely gone from Win 8. Maybe that is not true but I can't test any of this on my XP computer. Nor can I test Win 8 on a virtual machine on VMWare Workstation 7 that I have as it won't work on it.
Razzy

Razzy

said by Mele20:

How can I sit down and learn it when I currently have an XP Pro SP2 machine? I have to just read about it. I was able to do the Windows 7 public beta on a virtual machine so I know something about it. I had to immediately add third partly applications to get it to work as all previous Microsoft OS from 95 on through Vista have worked (classic mode). I don't even like Win 7 without third party applications so I can't imagine wanting Win 8 as my understanding is that you cannot use Classic mode on Win 8. You can on Win 7 but it was a hassle to do so with the public beta. Again, just from reading, I gather it became a bit easier with the release version. But I still face a lot of fixing of Win 7 to have it like all previous versions of Windows GUI wise.

I don't believe that Win 8 allows one to fix it. Microsoft has broken free of classic mode with Win 8 as far as I have read and I cannot test that for myself on this XP machine. I want Display Properties/Appearance/Advanced Display/Item List and there I configure Windows display and buttons as I want everything. I think Microsoft removed this in Win 8. In Win 7 public beta it was accessible ONLY from Accessibility type themes until I was able to force Win 7 to let me make my own theme and forced use of Item list. Win 7 kept trying to force me to use Accessibility special themes if I wanted the Advanced Display properties/Items list. Drove me nuts but I heard that changed with the final release version of Win 7. I also heard that classic display is completely gone from Win 8. Maybe that is not true but I can't test any of this on my XP computer. Nor can I test Win 8 on a virtual machine on VMWare Workstation 7 that I have as it won't work on it.

See bold? That barely exist in my world.
Razzy

Razzy to darcilicious

to darcilicious
»www.zdnet.com/microsoft- ··· 0000714/

Summary: Does the iPad finally have a genuine rival in the shape of Microsoft’s Surface? CIOs polled by ZDNet and TechRepublic certainly reckon so

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

And a quick lookaround will show far more articles saying Windows8 tablet will fail. Anyone can link to articles.
Razzy

Razzy

Yep! Like we said before!

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to Razzy

MVM

to Razzy
said by Razzy:

»www.zdnet.com/microsoft- ··· 0000714/

Summary: Does the iPad finally have a genuine rival in the shape of Microsoft’s Surface? CIOs polled by ZDNet and TechRepublic certainly reckon so

said by howardfine:

And a quick lookaround will show far more articles saying Windows8 tablet will fail. Anyone can link to articles.

Its difficult to predict the future and I think a lot of articles are designed to be provocative and generate traffic regardless of where they fall in this overly hyped rivalry.
Razzy

Razzy to howardfine

to howardfine
Although except that, zdnet did a survey with a bunch of CIOS.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

No, I don't multi task. It is not possible anyway....some think it is but science has recently proven that is not possible for humans to multitask.

And yet here I am, typing this, watching the TV, and amusing the cat, all at the same time.

I think the only non-multi-tasker on record was Gerald Ford.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Razzy

Premium Member

to Razzy
?? You mean reading and listening hardly ever happens in your world?
Mele20

Mele20 to dave

Premium Member

to dave
You just think you are doing all that simultaneously. You should look into the research on this.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Doesn't make any difference. You're effectively arguing that moving pictures don't exist - which they don't, it's just a sequence of still pictures. But they're interleaved quickly enough to give the illusion of continuity. Ditto with keyboard, TV, and cat.

Re:multitasking. The main point of the research was to show that multitasking is not a gain in efficiency. Which is good for me, since I'm a one-thing-at-a-time guy.

»www.thenewatlantis.com/p ··· itasking

This doesn't mean you shouldn't have a clock or a radio in the room when using a computer. And note that me doing one thing at a time is a far cry from the computer doing one thing at a time. E.g., if I am writing a technical document, my computer simultaneously needs to have several sources of information open and available (thus MS Word, Adobe Reader, a web browser and an email client are all running, maybe a couple of specialized computer programs as well). I'm still concentrating on exactly one task.
Razzy

Razzy to Mele20

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

?? You mean reading and listening hardly ever happens in your world?

Like half of the times, it does. Most are just bullshit.