spc
Search similar:

uniqs

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to Oregonian

to Oregonian

Re: [Other] Microsoft to Launch Tablet to Rival iPad?

said by Oregonian:

"Surface ME" anyone?

It will keep re-surfacing.

Personally, I'd probably find a better name for it than "Surface"....

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

But as the "iPad" has proven, what's in a name?

mastsethi
join:2012-05-26

mastsethi

The odds never favored Betamax!

Razzy12345
@rr.com

Razzy12345 to darcilicious

Anon

to darcilicious
»www.cnn.com/2012/06/20/t ··· dex.html

This sounds great. May win me from Android.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Razzy12345

Premium Member

to Razzy12345
said by Razzy12345 :

This is just a tablet. Those OEM can still make their cheap desktops/laptops/etc.

What about expensive desktops and laptops? The OEMs can no longer make those because ????

Razzy12345
@rr.com

Razzy12345

Anon

Um, there are many many many people who still want desktop, seriously. You're saying that each person should only own ONE thing? Not this guy.

natedj
Elected
Premium Member
join:2001-06-06
Irmo, SC

natedj to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

said by Oregonian:

"Surface ME" anyone?

+1
Microsoft wasn't thinking with that name at all.
It's not catchy, it's not prominent and to top it off it can easily be lost and be mistaken or misinterpreted in a sentence.
They didn't learn anything from their "Live" search engine that was renamed to "Bing" for similar reasons.
If I say iPad, as ridiculous as it initially sounded, there was no misinterpreting that, if I say Surface it could mean anything from a movie to an adjective. I wouldn't be this mad if I didn't expect better from Microsoft.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig

MVM

said by natedj:

said by aurgathor:

said by Oregonian:

"Surface ME" anyone?

+1
Microsoft wasn't thinking with that name at all.
It's not catchy, it's not prominent and to top it off it can easily be lost and be mistaken or misinterpreted in a sentence.
They didn't learn anything from their "Live" search engine that was renamed to "Bing" for similar reasons.
If I say iPad, as ridiculous as it initially sounded, there was no misinterpreting that, if I say Surface it could mean anything from a movie to an adjective. I wouldn't be this mad if I didn't expect better from Microsoft.

here is a real fresh perspective that is right on the money

»daringfireball.net/2012/ ··· re_place
90115534 (banned)
Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned) to natedj

to natedj
Surface was a TV Show a long while ago on NBC.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to dellsweig

MVM

to dellsweig
said by dellsweig:

here is a real fresh perspective that is right on the money

»daringfireball.net/2012/ ··· re_place

I disagree with a lot of what was said there so I wouldn’t say it was on the money.

The author was wrong about the circumstances of the Surface demo crash / freeze and he/she seems to think the Apple A4 is somehow more then unremarkable ARM Cortex and PowerVR. The supposition at the end didn’t really make much sense either IMO.
90115534 (banned)
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned) to darcilicious

to darcilicious
I wish we knew how much they are going to be.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

said by 90115534:

I wish we knew how much they are going to be.

I do too but I suspect the prices will be between current ARM devises (with 32GB flash) like the Asus Transformer (~$400+) to current x86 high-end PC tablets (~$1000+). That would be my best guess for starting prices of those categories. Ivy bridge versions will likely cost ~$1000+ and up depending on options if available. I for one expect the Acer Iconia W700 Windows 8 tablet with Intel Thunderbolt port to cost even more, perhaps in the ~$1500 range.

mastsethi
join:2012-05-26

mastsethi to darcilicious

to darcilicious
Will Surface support external storage? It can really kill off the competition..

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

That’s a good question too.

I think Microsoft is trying to emulate Apple here at least with the ARM based Windows RT devices. From what I have heard, there will be no desktop on ARM just Metro and all apps will come from the Microsoft app store. So this is presumably just as restrictive in nature as the iPad.

Will there be jailbreaks,..? I don’t know but I would hope so.

Will there be a way to hack Windows RT onto other ARM devices like the HP Touchpad,…? Again, don’t know but it would be interesting if it were possible,….

Will there be Malware vulnerabilities on Windows RT (ARM),..? I dont know but my guess is eventually,...yes.

I really don’t like the term “Surface” though as I think it allows the uninitiated to think of it as a singular device or experience like the iPad and that’s just not the case.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to mastsethi

Premium Member

to mastsethi
said by mastsethi:

Will Surface support external storage? It can really kill off the competition..

x86 is full win8. USB storage works fine there. The Arm tablet? Probably, Win Phone 8 (same core OS) supports flash storage, so it seems pretty likely.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to darcilicious

MVM

to darcilicious
Acer is skeptical of Surface tablets, thinks Microsoft isn't playing nice
quote:
We were worried that Microsoft might wind up with frenemies in the PC industry after introducing its Surface tablets. There hasn't been a lot of backlash so far, but the Windows 8 tablets clearly rankled some Acer executives -- they're lashing out at their OS partner in a very public fashion. Acer's EMEA senior VP Oliver Ahrens is accusing Microsoft of trying to copy Apple's business model and thinks the Surface line will struggle to get any traction. It could lead to a "defocus" at Microsoft as the software giant forgets the PC builders that got it to the top, he says. Meanwhile, frequently outspoken company founder Stan Shih isn't even convinced that Microsoft is serious about the whole affair

,….

I think some people have been loosely suggesting that Microsoft wants to cut out its partners and be the only producers of hardware using Microsoft operating systems.

However, if this were indeed the case why wouldn’t Microsoft simply launch Windows RT (ARM) without any additional launch partners. Microsoft doesn’t have to license its software to anyone does it?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

Here's the thing. If a company do as well or as better in the hardware arena than Microsoft, they have nothing to worry about. And if they can't, well that's the effin American way. You compete for market share and I fail to see how Microsoft could have any kind of unfair advantage (except maybe that they don't have to purchase the OS??)
90115534 (banned)
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned) to darcilicious

to darcilicious
This is all getting so interesting. I can't wait to see how the market looks like in 6 to 8 months.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to darcilicious

to darcilicious
I was skeptical at first but most of the articles/reviews I have stumbled upon are highly favorable.

Good luck MS.

They are finally getting that software licensing is not the best business model any longer.

SAAS is the wave of the future.

Dave

natedj
Elected
Premium Member
join:2001-06-06
Irmo, SC

natedj to 90115534

Premium Member

to 90115534
said by 90115534:

This is all getting so interesting. I can't wait to see how the market looks like in 6 to 8 months.

Which reminds me of another thing ....
One thing about Apple that I like is that after a press release of a new product, their actual launch date is almost instant or a few weeks out. I've been bashing Apple for years, but I just bought my first iOS device and I'm quite pleased. I hate getting teased and then having to wait months to get it.
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

Riamen to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
The Surface has piqued my interest but I'm still puzzled. Why were there no software demos? Why couldn't journalists try the keyboard on a running device? Why no mention of battery life or price? Why no mention of cellular data? Why did Sinofsky have to exchange his device? When is it available?

It seems to me that this event was hastily put together in order to get the drop on Google who may be announcing their own tablet next week.

The next year or so will be interesting.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to natedj

MVM

to natedj
Ive been waiting for OS X Mountain Lion since its announcement and now iOS 6. I don't see the grass as being greener in this respect,....you'll wait for updates either way,....

OS X being free (for some with new Apple hardware) or a ~$20 upgrade is a point of interest IMO and no activation / re-activation to contend with.

I expect iOS 6 to be a no hassle free over the air upgrade too, and that is something I would like to see Microsoft do,...on ARM,...

The thing about it is the upgrade cycle for a Microsoft OS. ARM devices from Apple would get a full free OS upgrade within a year (if they are not dropped like the first gen iPad and iOS 6). When has Microsoft ever been on an annual OS upgrade cycle and when have they ever made an OS upgrade totally free much less over the air,.....?

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by Octavean:

When has Microsoft ever been on an annual OS upgrade cycle and when have they ever made an OS upgrade totally free much less over the air,.....?

Since Windows Phone 7?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to natedj

Premium Member

to natedj
said by natedj:

They've always been poor marketers, there never has been a reason to "market" their products, not when your core business is selling to OEM's.
Razzy
join:2012-06-21

Razzy to Octavean

to Octavean
There are users that was able to upgrade from Windows Mobile 5 to 6 for free back then. Probably why they couldn't make an easy upgrade path for Windows 8 Phone is because of completely different codebase that is same as Windows 8 OS.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to natedj

Premium Member

to natedj
said by natedj:

said by 90115534:

Which reminds me of another thing ....
One thing about Apple that I like is that after a press release of a new product, their actual launch date is almost instant or a few weeks out. I've been bashing Apple for years, but I just bought my first iOS device and I'm quite pleased. I hate getting teased and then having to wait months to get it.

Exactly, the announced the new Macs a few weeks back, and before the conference was even over, they were in the Apple Stores and online.

Like Intel, they launch a product and volia here it is. M$ has always been the king of Vapourware. They announce and you wait...

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to Razzy

MVM

to Razzy
Fair enough, but I'm not simply talking about one or two things I'm talking about all of them together. Annual OS upgrades for years, for free and over the air. It's a reasonable expectation at this point from such devices.

I don't have a Windows Phone so I wouldn't know what they are doing in this space. Im not saying they wouldn't or couldn't do it just that I would like to see it.
Razzy
join:2012-06-21

Razzy

I don't have one either, was never interested in it until Windows 8 version. It could sway me away from Android.... we'll have to see...
Razzy

Razzy to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
First iPad announced in January, didn't get released until April.

First iPhone announced in January, didn't get released until June.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Not anymore, they announce a product it's in stores then or within weeks.

Point taken though.