Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to Smith6612

Premium Member

to Smith6612

Re: Youtube throttled by TWC?

"I know, it sucks. I'm lucky if a 3 hour video with a lot of activity in 1080p/Original from YouTube finishes overnight. If there's any sort of traffic coming into my connection I can expect it hitting a day to download which is pretty normal. Outgoing traffic doesn't bother the download though, have QoS set up.

I use a Greasemonkey script that disables the pausing on the buffering if the video is not playing, and one that also offers up download links. Have to do it that way to get decent looking videos.'

And this is what it takes to cut the cord?
Outstanding.

Hob

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

said by hobgoblin:

And this is what it takes to cut the cord?
Outstanding.

Hob

Much of what I used to watch on TV isn't aired anymore, so it never gets turned on by me anymore. What I get on my computer is what I get (most Bills games, some Sabres games). Others here use TV service to watch re-runs. I've uploaded an attachment above/last page of what the norm is here when I'm not the only one awake. So, I enjoy the fresh content, it just takes a while to get unless I'm at work where 125MB/s (that's Megabytes) can be achieved, server permitting without grinding anything to a halt.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

I am a little confused.
You said "What I get on my computer is what I get (most Bills games, some Sabres games)."
So you are happy watching an illegal feed of sporting events rather than subscribing to a TV service that provides it.
You are happy watching poor quality video feeds, rather than kicking back on the couch in front of Instant or DVR'd sporting events?
I cant see why anyone would embrace that scenario.

Hob

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

said by hobgoblin:

I am a little confused.
You said "What I get on my computer is what I get (most Bills games, some Sabres games)."
So you are happy watching an illegal feed of sporting events rather than subscribing to a TV service that provides it.
You are happy watching poor quality video feeds, rather than kicking back on the couch in front of Instant or DVR'd sporting events?
I cant see why anyone would embrace that scenario.

Hob

I use a TV tuner in the PC so what comes in would be 1080i, so nothing illegal about it (no DBS support, though). Most Bills games air on there. One or two Sabres games, sometimes. I refuse to use pirated streams as I would rather pay to see the game in person at that point, which is something I do for both the Sabres and the Bills. Stop by Orchard Park for a few games, stop by First Niagara for a few games.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

You are using OTA?
Very very few Sabres games, of course all Bills games other than the blackouts.

Hob

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

We have pay TV service here as I sort of stuck in as an implied mention above, but yes I use OTA myself. The stations I pick up are really the only ones I would even turn on with the current lineup of shows on network programming. My notion is, I'm paying for something I don't use (others in my home use it though which is why it's paid for), so why watch a local station, which should already be covered by advertisements and other funding I view watching OTA content anyways and then pay to receive the same transmission, only compressed further when OTA comes in strong enough with some provider advertising mixed in (eg: Time Warner, FiOS, Dish, DirecTV) on top of the station's normal ads?

If network programming had better things on it and the good shows weren't being cancelled by "ratings" I would probably sit down and enjoy a bit more TV time on the couch, and I wouldn't mind paying for it.