how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

RipTides

join:2002-05-25
Dallas, GA

Dryer Bulb Not working.

We have a 2003-04 GE Brand Dryer, old style not the newer front loading washer matching style.

The Bulb for the 3rd time now has quit working when you open the door on the unit. The door switch works to cut off the dryer when the door is opened.

The Bulb being a tiny utility bulb, checks out for not being blown, but going to go ahead and pick up a pack of replacements today.

The thing is this is the 3rd time now it has quit working over the past 2 years, twice in the past it has come back on working automagically.

I'm worried about a short or something that may be more dangerous rather than just accepting it's wonky.

Of course I did some technical troubleshooting that got as far as jiggling and abusing the door switch to no avail.

So I was wondering if anyone had an idea of what may be going on. ?

treetop1000

join:2003-11-07
Lexington, KY

Is it a problem in that dark cave of a laundry room you have?
I've never seen a dryer with a bulb in it, but then again i'll not be surprised that such a thing exists. I'd learn to live without it if I were you.
It's not really indispensable like the refrigerator light is. Sometimes, in the middle of the night you need light to help find the Hersheys syrup and the icecream. Or the chicken wings left over from last night.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to RipTides

I've never seen a home dryer without a light.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1

I've never seen a home dryer without a light either

primeomega

join:2004-03-11
De Pere, WI
reply to RipTides

I can see the light...

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
reply to RipTides

I concur, every dryer I ever owned or used had a light in it, and it was useful.

In any case, if the bulb replacement cures the issue, I would lean toward the quality of the bulbs being a factor. It isn't likely to be a short, as the control unit would likely be affected too, since it also runs on 120V. My vote goes to crappy bulbs. Also, make sure you are getting "appliance" bulbs, as they are supposed to have a better-supported filament to withstand the vibrations.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to Jack_in_VA

said by Jack_in_VA:

I've never seen a home dryer without a light either

Me neither.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to mattmag

said by mattmag:

I concur, every dryer I ever owned or used had a light in it, and it was useful....My vote goes to crappy bulbs. Also, make sure you are getting "appliance" bulbs, as they are supposed to have a better-supported filament to withstand the vibrations.

+1
--
Splat

fluffybunny

@teksavvy.com
reply to RipTides

GE dryers use a non standard bulb which costs $6 in a 3 pack. get the GE branded one for your model not just any bulb off the shelf.
it took my 4 weeks to get mine from trail appliances.

LadyL
Premium
join:2002-09-18
Lorain, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to mityfowl

I've never seen a home dryer WITH a light bulb ! Maybe GE is the only brand that has a lightbulb? I've always had Maytag and none of them have ever had a lightbulb inside.
--
Lonnie

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to RipTides

I can't understand why I would need a dryer with a light bulb in it..not having ever seen one either.

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium
join:2004-09-11
Woburn, MA
reply to RipTides

Ours has one and has been working for 10 years.

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to LadyL

said by LadyL:

I've never seen a home dryer WITH a light bulb ! Maybe GE is the only brand that has a lightbulb? I've always had Maytag and none of them have ever had a lightbulb inside.

I've had Maytag's for over 30 years and both dryers have/had lights.

The old one was the cheapest model electric that they made and it had a light.

You might want to look inside yours to see if the light hasn't been burned out for so long you can't remember.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to RipTides

My new LG dryer has a light. Even the Frigidaire dryers I have in my rent houses have them! While not mandatory, having a light in the dryer is actually nice. Especially if you are like me and need to get some clothes out of the dryer to wear but plan to leave the rest of the load in there until later (or until you need something else to wear).

dosdoxies
Premium
join:2004-12-15
Wallingford, PA
reply to mityfowl

said by mityfowl:

I've never seen a home dryer without a light.

Stop over. I'll show you one. Call first.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
reply to RipTides

Always had Whirlpools. All of them have had a light inside.

iknow
Premium
join:2012-03-25
reply to RipTides

i had an old GE dryer that had a UV/ozone bulb in it, and that gave clothes a nice fresh smell, i haven't seen dryers with that in it anymore though, just plain bulbs.

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to RipTides

In high humidity environments, it's easy for screw-in type bulb sockets to get a little bit of corrosion on them (which may be all but invisible), which interferes with your ability to screw the bulb in all of the way and make a good, consistent contact with the base of the socket. This is something that I run into quite a bit - where you think you have the bulb screwed in all the way but it's really just barely making contact, if at all. The way I usually handle this is to put a very thin (barely there) layer of Vaseline or some other lubricant on the bulb base (they make special bulb grease for this), then screw the bulb all the way back in. This almost always cures the problem.

Other possibilities include a loose connection at the switch or the bulb base, or maybe a bad switch, as you suspect.

mr_slick

join:2003-05-22
Lynnwood, WA
reply to RipTides

am i the only person who has seen/used both kinds of dryers [ ones with lights and ones without ]??

for the record the one i own now does not have a light in it (came with the house and works fine), but i also have a lot of daylight and overhead light in the laundry room.

LadyL
Premium
join:2002-09-18
Lorain, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to mityfowl

Went downstairs, opened dryer door...stuck head inside dryer...nope no lightbulb at all ! This Maytag is about 30+ years old...btw, it's a gas dryer...don't even have the manual for it and it isn't even listed on the Maytag website (Mdl D3303 Series 05).
Have had only 1 replacement item done to it...son replaced the heat sensor thingy inside the control panel...and that was 10+years ago.
--
Lonnie

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to RipTides

It was just an idea.

My bad.

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to mr_slick

said by mr_slick:

am i the only person who has seen/used both kinds of dryers [ ones with lights and ones without ]??

for the record the one i own now does not have a light in it (came with the house and works fine), but i also have a lot of daylight and overhead light in the laundry room.

Nope! I've seen both. For the record, my old Maytag doesn't have a light, either, but IIRC it was available as an option.

Ivan
Premium
join:2001-11-15
Internet
reply to RipTides

2 whirlpools & 1 GE over past 26 yrs (all elect). None of them has/had a light inside the drum.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

Click for full size
Click for full size
said by Ivan:

2 whirlpools & 1 GE over past 26 yrs (all elect). None of them has/had a light inside the drum.

Whirlpool Dryer with Interior Light

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium
join:2004-09-11
Woburn, MA
reply to RipTides

I demand proof to the people claiming there's no light! Pics for proof.

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON
reply to RipTides

Never owned one with a light.

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to RipTides

I looked at my dad's Maytag today and it has NO light.

Now I've seen one.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to Edrick

I will post proof this evening! My 10+ years old GE dryer has no light.

ncbill
Premium
join:2007-01-23
Winston Salem, NC
reply to LadyL

No light in my 1989 Whirlpool electric dryer.

said by LadyL:

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

said by ncbill:

No light in my 1989 Whirlpool electric dryer.

said by LadyL:

»Re: Dryer Bulb Not working.