uniqs

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek

Premium Member

Galaxy S3

Who's getting one? I'm considering paying full price for one because I'm not due for an upgrade till October. I've called Verizon a dozen times practically begging for an early upgrade but no dice.

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue

Premium Member

Nope. TouchWiz sucks.

Skipdawg
The Original

join:2001-04-19
Mount Vernon, WA

Skipdawg to thegeek

to thegeek
Nice looking phone but I don't care for TouchWiz either. It and Moto Blur or what ever they call is just never went over well with me. Yea I like Sence.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek
I think I'll be ordering one, but not for my use.
I foresee a co-worker wanting a new phone in the coming months.

thegeek
Premium Member
right here

thegeek to Gbcue

Premium Member

to Gbcue
It won't take long and some devs will have a AOSP ROM for it I'm sure.

Gbcue
Premium Member
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue

Premium Member

The US versions are gimped (less memory), IIRC, or maybe I'm confusing the S3 with the HTC One-series.

Also, needs penta-band HSPA support.

Cryptic24
Go Stewie Go Stewie It's Your Birthday
Premium Member
join:2002-12-17
Corry, PA

Cryptic24

Premium Member

They come with a full 2 gig of memory, but only a dual core 1.5 processor.

Gbcue
Premium Member
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue

Premium Member

I think the T-Mobile version will be quad core.

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol

Premium Member

said by Gbcue:

I think the T-Mobile version will be quad core.

no

battlesite
Premium Member
join:2001-03-24
Burbank, CA

battlesite to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek
I plan to get one. I'm long overdue for an upgrade.
Some people love touchwiz. Others hate it.
Looks like it has a pretty good camera. That's my main (but not only) concern.
Dual core 1.5 processor should be enough for me. I'm not going to be doing heavy-duty gaming or anything.

Verizon has delayed the ship date to July 10ish. Unfortunately, beginning June 28th any new phone activation will not have the option of grandfathering in the unlimited data plan. So anybody getting this phone will have to give up their unlimited data plan. It's a pretty non-subtle way of saying, "F--k you", to all their loyal customers.

thegeek
Premium Member
right here

1 recommendation

thegeek

Premium Member

if you preorder before june 28th or pay full price after june 28th you can keep your unlimited data. also, it wasn't delayed to the 10th. they just sold out of the stock that they would be able to ship by the 9th.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Napsterbater to Gbcue

MVM

to Gbcue
said by Gbcue:

The US versions are gimped (less memory), IIRC, or maybe I'm confusing the S3 with the HTC One-series.

Also, needs penta-band HSPA support.

The Intl Ver has a Quad core 1.4ghz with 1 Gig of RAM, the US Version has Dual Core 1.5 with 2gigs of ram.

I have the Intl Version, and love it, But ill love it even more when they get CM9 on it.

battlesite
Premium Member
Burbank, CA

battlesite to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek
said by thegeek:

if you preorder before june 28th or pay full price after june 28th you can keep your unlimited data.

That's what I keep reading on the internet but I just got off the phone with a Verizon customer service rep who told me that that is erroneous information and that I will not be able to grandfather in my unlimited data plan with any phone activated after June 28th.

I will try some more phone calls and try a visit to the Verizon store to see if I can get a get a more satisfactory answer. I'm not buying any promises until I see it in writing.

thegeek
Premium Member
right here

thegeek

Premium Member

I would say the Verizon customer service agent is mistaken. I read in the Verizon press release that GS3 preorders would not be affected. I'm not sure what site that press release was on right now and don't have time to find it though.

ffblackie
You called 911 for this?
Premium Member
join:2002-01-13
Knoxville, TN
Actiontec T3200M
Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway
Ubiquiti Unifi UAP-AC-LITE

ffblackie to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek
said by thegeek:

if you preorder before june 28th or pay full price after june 28th you can keep your unlimited data. [snip]

Yeaaaaah... I'd get that one in writing from someone at Verizon before making any hasty decisions.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to thegeek

MVM

to thegeek
said by thegeek:

It won't take long and some devs will have a AOSP ROM for it I'm sure.

I wouldn't be so sure, until:

a) we know for sure Verizon hasn't forced Samsung to lock it down
b) devs pick up the VZW device and are willing to reverse engineer the RIL for CDMA/LTE
c) Samsung releases the source (afaik, they still have not)

I'd probably switch full-price if it does get AOKP and the radio performs better than the Nexus (I imagine it will, Qualcomm radios are way better than the VIA/Samsung trash in the Nexus) and if the screen doesn't have the same crappy video playback issues the Nexus and Note have (big if there).

battlesite
Premium Member
Burbank, CA

battlesite to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek
said by thegeek:

I would say the Verizon customer service agent is mistaken. I read in the Verizon press release that GS3 preorders would not be affected. I'm not sure what site that press release was on right now and don't have time to find it though.

Pretty sure no such official Verizon press release exists.

Verizon's own website (verizonwireless.com) has a community member forum. The S3 grandfather situation is a hot topic right now. Everybody is trying to get an official word. None seems to exist.

Here is a summary of the conversations from verizonwireless.com.

Many people were originally told that they would be able to keep their plans by pre-oredering before June 28th but upon further examination of anything in writing it appears that Verizon has filled the contracts with misleading wording and loopholes allowing them to cancel the grandfathered plans with the pre-ordered phones.

One member posted a screenshot of an online conversation with a Verizon rep who told the member that he would be able to keep his unlimited data plan, but in reality the Verizon legal dept will be able to blow that argument out of the water as a non-binding poorly-worded conversation.

Most of the Verizon reps when pressed hard enough to give precisely worded exact information will "check with their supervisors" and then say that they're not sure but that it doesn't look like the grandfathered plans will be available.

Here is a link to the latest discussion thread on the subject.
»community.verizonwireles ··· d/775227

chmod
Premium Member
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL

chmod to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek
I'd get one if my handset upgrade was up. I just can't justify paying full price to replace my gs2 and stay on the bleeding edge of technology. I'm curious to see how the snapdragon will compare to the exynos.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek
I want to get one but my full upgrade time is not until 11/12. Right now I only get around $150 off full price. I'll wait until next month and see what the deal is.

Right now I have a G2. LOVE the phone but really need a bigger screen. I like the ability on the S3 to take photos while recording video. Several other features I like as well.

For me, the breaking point price would be $350. Any more and I'll need to wait.

chmod
Premium Member
Lockport, IL

chmod

Premium Member

said by tcope:

I want to get one but my full upgrade time is not until 11/12. Right now I only get around $150 off full price. I'll wait until next month and see what the deal is.

Right now I have a G2. LOVE the phone but really need a bigger screen. I like the ability on the S3 to take photos while recording video. Several other features I like as well.

For me, the breaking point price would be $350. Any more and I'll need to wait.

You won't see that price point by the time your eligible for an ungrade. I've been thinking and I might sell my gs2 to offset the cost of a full price t-mo gs3. I'm going to wait and see how the us version is before I make any commitments.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

If I was eligible for a full upgrade (22 months into contract) the phone should be $200 for the 16GB. If the phone retails at $650, right now I'd have $150 off or $500. There is another upgrade level at 20 months, which would be Sept for me. I think that might put the phone around $350. If correct, perhaps I can talk them into giving me that Sept price in July. Otherwise I'll need to wait.

The only thing I'm a little nervous about is if Android 4.0 is going to break my free tethering. From what I read, I might have that included in my 5GB Preferred Android plan. There is just no good way to tell.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to thegeek

to thegeek
I'm waiting for them to be available and corporate approved on T-Mobile or possibly ATT. I'm going to let the company pay for the phone and data for me.

May get a TM one for my wife, whose eligible for upgrade on July 5. I like the new HTC One X, but I don't like the defeatured One S on TM.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA

Napsterbater

MVM

Looks like CM9 Nightlys are available for the Galaxy S III I9300 (Intl)

This is a good day.

chmod
Premium Member
Lockport, IL

chmod

Premium Member

They just started cm9 nightlies for my device (t-mo gs2 t989) I'm excited. I love me some cm9 goodness.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to Napsterbater

MVM

to Napsterbater
said by Napsterbater:

Looks like CM9 Nightlys are available for the Galaxy S III I9300 (Intl)

This is a good day.

Wish I knew if the VZW SGSIII would get CM9/AOKP...if I knew it would, I'd ditch the Nexus for it in a heart beat.
steven s
Premium Member
join:2002-09-14
Dearborn, MI

steven s

Premium Member

I'd be shocked if it didn't. What will certainly be one of the most popular Android phones on the most popular network should get AOKP roms pretty soon.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by steven s:

I'd be shocked if it didn't. What will certainly be one of the most popular Android phones on the most popular network should get AOKP roms pretty soon.

There are already nightlies for CM9. But I'm talking the verizon sgsIII. The chances are better than some random HTC device on VZW (*cough* Rezound *cough*), but there is still RIL/CDMA/LTE to deal with, and that's all assuming VZW doesn't decide to be assholes and force them to lock the boot loader

thegeek
Premium Member
right here

thegeek

Premium Member

even if the boot loader is locked it won't last forever. some dev will eventually crack it.
thegeek

thegeek to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
said by 67845017:

I'm waiting for them to be available and corporate approved on T-Mobile or possibly ATT. I'm going to let the company pay for the phone and data for me.

I wish my company would get on the Android bandwagon. Still forced to use crappy BlackBerry's. Not that a company provided Android phone would be any good anyway; it would be so locked down and featureless it would be almost pointless.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

We're lucky here. The company is pretty good about keeping everything pretty much untouched. It used to be that only Blackberry phones were allowed, but over the last 2 years or so the company has been offering all the various phones (Android, iOS, Windows, Blackberry, etc.). We can even bring our own device and the company will reimburse the cost (after plan subsidy). The plan is then transferred over to the company.