share rss forum feed

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2
reply to chmod

Re: Galaxy S3

If I was eligible for a full upgrade (22 months into contract) the phone should be $200 for the 16GB. If the phone retails at $650, right now I'd have $150 off or $500. There is another upgrade level at 20 months, which would be Sept for me. I think that might put the phone around $350. If correct, perhaps I can talk them into giving me that Sept price in July. Otherwise I'll need to wait.

The only thing I'm a little nervous about is if Android 4.0 is going to break my free tethering. From what I read, I might have that included in my 5GB Preferred Android plan. There is just no good way to tell.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to thegeek

I'm waiting for them to be available and corporate approved on T-Mobile or possibly ATT. I'm going to let the company pay for the phone and data for me.

May get a TM one for my wife, whose eligible for upgrade on July 5. I like the new HTC One X, but I don't like the defeatured One S on TM.
--
Why is Obama a dismal failure? Read "The Amateur" by Ed Klein and find out.

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
reply to Napsterbater

Looks like CM9 Nightlys are available for the Galaxy S III I9300 (Intl)

This is a good day.

chmod
Premium
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL

They just started cm9 nightlies for my device (t-mo gs2 t989) I'm excited. I love me some cm9 goodness.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
reply to Napsterbater

said by Napsterbater:

Looks like CM9 Nightlys are available for the Galaxy S III I9300 (Intl)

This is a good day.

Wish I knew if the VZW SGSIII would get CM9/AOKP...if I knew it would, I'd ditch the Nexus for it in a heart beat.
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

steven s
Premium
join:2002-09-14
Dearborn, MI

I'd be shocked if it didn't. What will certainly be one of the most popular Android phones on the most popular network should get AOKP roms pretty soon.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

said by steven s:

I'd be shocked if it didn't. What will certainly be one of the most popular Android phones on the most popular network should get AOKP roms pretty soon.

There are already nightlies for CM9. But I'm talking the verizon sgsIII. The chances are better than some random HTC device on VZW (*cough* Rezound *cough*), but there is still RIL/CDMA/LTE to deal with, and that's all assuming VZW doesn't decide to be assholes and force them to lock the boot loader
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here

even if the boot loader is locked it won't last forever. some dev will eventually crack it.

thegeek
Premium
right here
reply to Badonkadonk

said by Badonkadonk:

I'm waiting for them to be available and corporate approved on T-Mobile or possibly ATT. I'm going to let the company pay for the phone and data for me.

I wish my company would get on the Android bandwagon. Still forced to use crappy BlackBerry's. Not that a company provided Android phone would be any good anyway; it would be so locked down and featureless it would be almost pointless.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

We're lucky here. The company is pretty good about keeping everything pretty much untouched. It used to be that only Blackberry phones were allowed, but over the last 2 years or so the company has been offering all the various phones (Android, iOS, Windows, Blackberry, etc.). We can even bring our own device and the company will reimburse the cost (after plan subsidy). The plan is then transferred over to the company.
--

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT
reply to thegeek

Company I work for just started allowing non RIM phones. So I can use my own phone and they pay most of the bill. The run a program called AirWatch Agent that locks up the phone pretty good and allows for a remote wipe if needed. It won't run on a rooted phone.

I have little to no interest in unlocking or running another ROM on the GS3 if I get it. It's really up to speed anyway. Also, it takes a _long_ time for a ROM to get good. Personally if things like the camera don't work, I don't see the point in running another ROM. For me, Android simply works. If I did not like the UI, I would not buy it.

I'm hoping that I may be able to talk Tmobile info giving me a good upgrade price (ie. early). Angle I'm going to use is how long I've been with the company (they are bleeding customers) and that the G2 that I bought is defective since it was upgraded to 2.3 and HTC is not correcting the problem (for example, the gallery does not always display all of the files on the phone... the SD card needs to locked and unlocked before it will display new photos/videos).

gdm
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to thegeek

We are giving a person a new smartphone at the office so I upgraded one of our flip phones to a smartphone. I'll take the SIII and give my Bionic to the other person. Apparently this phone was out of contract and still had a new every 2 so I got the 32GB blue for $100.

This is with Verizon and looking at our account. We are moving to the new share plans with out data usage. We have unlimited on all our smartphones but not using that much data. Moving to a data pool will save us about $350 a month.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to thegeek

Not the greatest review of the S3:

»www.wired.com/reviews/2012/06/sa···y-s-iii/
--
Obama in 2012 - There's No Tea Left In The Bag.

gdm
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

There is alot of new software with the SIII so it will be buggy IMO because of that. Mostly that's the Touchwiz specific things to the SIII. I think most things folks are complaining about software wise can be fixed easily.

The one thing to remember is what Samsung has done with making this a standard across call carriers should mean faster update cycles compared to what we see now.

Wired was probably one of the harshest reviews of the SIII from what I've seen. Some things IMO aren't a deal breaker. Again it's things that are specific to touchwiz/samsung feel. What they are saying I say about Motorola's and HTC's overlay of Android as well.

Over I think this is breaking ground moving forward for the Android eco system. Being able keep 1 name/branding across all carriers will honestly help the Android system. I think of what Samsung has done is version 1 in this new chapter of Android.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to lordpuffer

A single review is hardly dispositive as to the GS3's quality or capabilities.

There are many other reviews that praise it. Besides, software issues can be fixed. No one seems to begrudge Apple the fact that Siri was half-baked when it first came out.
--

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

said by Badonkadonk:

There are many other reviews that praise it.

I had the S2 for a while and loved it. Was just looking at CNN's home page and saw this review by Wired. Thought I would make everyone aware.
--
Obama in 2012 - There's No Tea Left In The Bag.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

1 edit

I think it's good. It's helpful to get all the information on these devices. The one thing that's good about Android is that the brand of Apple fanboiism that blinds reviewers to the more questionable aspects of iStuff isn't there for non-Apple devices. This way actual informed choices can be made, rather than following the herd mentality.

Edit: Now, a melted GS3 would be a problem. »www.engadget.com/2012/06/20/sams···i-melts/

--

mastsethi

join:2012-05-26
reply to thegeek

S3 is sleek, looks better than S2 but is overpriced. You cant price a phone that high unless it's an iPhone.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL

1 recommendation

Not true unless you're an iFanboi. A lot of people pay the same price for non-iPhone devices. We do.
--

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
kudos:1
reply to thegeek

preordered a Verizon one. Paid Full Retail since I am not eligible for an upgrade. However, if Verizon screws me over with my grandfathered unlimited data, it goes back and they can go f*ck themselves with the share everything plans. I will be coming from an iPhone 4.

thegeek
Premium
right here

1 recommendation

reply to mastsethi

said by mastsethi:

You cant price a phone that high unless it's an iPhone.

I wouldn't take a free iPhone. I won't even take one if I was paid to take it. I've used one and it is a horrible experience. I much prefer Android.

Android is like being single and living on a tropical island full of horny 20-something women. Lots of choice. Apple is like being married and living in Minnesota.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

At work we can choose whatever phone we want. I can't bring myself to getting an iPhone--not after using and experiencing the freedom of Android.

In fact, with the new Windows 8 phone announcements, I'm likely going to get a Windows phone. I like the Lumia, but didn't like the single core and lower resolution screen. MS has basically taken care of those concerns and this fall should be interesting. I was leaning towards the GS3, but I'm going to wait for the next Lumia model. I bet it'll be killer.
--
Brian Terry died. What are you hiding, Obama?

Axekick

join:2005-05-01
Saint Louis, MO
reply to thegeek

I was planning on purchasing one but T-Mobile's website is showing my full upgrade price would be $329?? I will jump the T-Mobile ship before I pay that much over other carriers. Data is faster on ATT in my area and monthly plans are slightly cheaper for my use(2GB, minimal texting)

When the 'HTC One S' came out they also wanted $329 for me to upgrade(if I remember that price correctly, it was way out of line what ever it was).

T-Mobile use to always give me great deals both in the store and with customer service. I'm in good standing and have remained so for 10 years now.

chmod
Premium
Lockport, IL
reply to thegeek

I'm on the fence about this. Thinking about selling my current gs2 which should fetch $400 with the accessories. Paying full retail from t-mo which still comes out cheaper than discount with 2year contract. I'll wait to get my hands on it in store and play around with it a bit. On the other hand the specs aren't that much different than my current s2 and most of the new software stuff implemented into the s3 have already been ported to my phone ie. s-voice. Also the us version being somewhat neutered of 2cores. Hmmmmm
--
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT

I don't see how paying $650 for a phone is cheaper then $200-280 (your still paying a monthly fee either way).

The dual core is just as fast as the quad core. You won't see any difference.

chmod
Premium
Lockport, IL

said by tcope:

I don't see how paying $650 for a phone is cheaper then $200-280 (your still paying a monthly fee either way).

It's late for me I work midnight's, but I'm not following your logic?
--
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT

said by chmod:

said by tcope:

It's late for me I work midnight's, but I'm not following your logic?

That $280 is cheaper then $650?

Perhaps you are on a pre-paid plan... which is cheaper then going under contract.

chmod
Premium
Lockport, IL

"I don't see how paying $650 for a phone is cheaper then $200-280 (your still paying a monthly fee either way)."

I was contemplating offsetting the cost of a full price s3 by possibly selling my s2 for $400ish. Your saying $650 is cheaper than $230?
--

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT

No... you said that:

Paying full retail from t-mo which still comes out cheaper than discount with 2year contract.

That would be the same as, paying [$650] full retail from t-mo still comes out cheaper then [$280] with 2 year contract.

This only works if perhaps your comparing a different plan cost.

Much better off buying the phone some place else and using it on TM. TM's price is $80 more then everyone else (for no good reason).

chmod
Premium
Lockport, IL

said by tcope:

No... you said that:

Paying full retail from t-mo which still comes out cheaper than discount with 2year contract.

That would be the same as, paying [$650] full retail from t-mo still comes out cheaper then [$280] with 2 year contract.

This only works if perhaps your comparing a different plan cost.

Much better off buying the phone some place else and using it on TM. TM's price is $80 more then everyone else (for no good reason).

Sorry what I meant was I'm already on t-mo have been for 10years and don't plan on switching and not upgrade eligible. As far as other devices cheaper are you talking international? They won't work with 4g on t-mo's network from what I understand?
--