Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek

Re: Galaxy S3

I picked up an S3 yesterday. This thing is far better than the Motorola Droid Razr that I had.

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek

Premium Member

Now do yourself a favor and at the very least install a custom launcher. Better if you just install a custom ROM though. AOKP is the bee's knees.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

Personally speaking, Apex Launcher is a great alternative. But yes, AOKP is great. Been running it for over a month and a half on a GNex.

If you want a ROM built from the latest source, I can get one compiled up in about an hour.
trparky

trparky

Premium Member

If anyone wants it, here it is. A new build of AOKP for the Verizon Galaxy SIII, hot off the compiling box. Built from the latest source code from the AOKP Github.

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

mromero

Premium Member

bunch of horse shit!

»www.theverge.com/2012/10 ··· g-months

glad I rooted and flashed the unlocked bootloader

Steimes
I make internets
Premium Member
join:2002-01-08
Belle Vernon, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Steimes

Premium Member

This is the major flaw with Android in general. The software needs customized for each phone, then each launcher needs updated, then the carries dictate it further by adding and optimizing the bloatware. Almost six months after the release of it, how many phones are actually running it officially on US carriers?

I was content waiting for the official release, but it is getting silly now. I was talking to a friend asking if he was excited for JellyBean on his device, he has no idea what I was talking about though... even though he is pretty tech literate. Maybe the carriers know it is not that big of a selling point to have the latest version?

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

android is open for carriers, not users.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

No, Android is open for users as well... that is, if you are willing to take the plunge and get into the whole root and ROM scene. Which I have and I'll say that it's great being able to run any distro of Android I can get my hands on.

mromero
Premium Member
Fullerton, CA

mromero

Premium Member

Key Lime Pie will be out by the time Samsung releases Jelly Bean at this rate.

Post Op
Premium Member
join:2001-11-06
inside out

Post Op

Premium Member

I don't know if it's Samsung or the individual carriers that are responsible for getting out OTA updates at a snail's pace. It took forever for frozen yogurt and gingerbread for my epic 4g and there will be no more official updates which is why I rooted and installed CM9 Ice cream sandwich. If you want the latest on a Samsung product you'll have to go to xda developers and root and custom ROM your S3.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

Not only that, but RootzWiki too. That's another place for Android modders.

mromero
Premium Member
Fullerton, CA

mromero

Premium Member

forgot to mention that I ended up buying a Monoprice battery for my S3. Not bad for the price.

BKayrac
Premium Member
join:2001-09-29

BKayrac to Post Op

Premium Member

to Post Op
said by Post Op:

I don't know if it's Samsung or the individual carriers that are responsible for getting out OTA updates at a snail's pace. It took forever for frozen yogurt and gingerbread for my epic 4g and there will be no more official updates which is why I rooted and installed CM9 Ice cream sandwich. If you want the latest on a Samsung product you'll have to go to xda developers and root and custom ROM your S3.

for most phones, first it goes through the phone maker.....for instance the galaxy s3........samsung needs to create the build for jellybean..........after that is done(which takes a while), it is then passed onto the carriers.......the carriers then need to do their tests, and trials, and modify anything they need/want to..........after that, it is then approved for OTA

which is why i have a galaxy nexus..............google announces update..........google decides to push update.........my phone receives update......no middle man

mromero
Premium Member
Fullerton, CA

mromero

Premium Member

new AOKP build 5 is up
New features:
Custom NavBar for Tablets
NavBar widgets are back from ICS
Highly customizable Lockscreen Ring targets, with a shiny new editor in ROMControl! (also thanks to CM for the base of the framework part)
Alternate default app picker (like in GB)
Menu UI Overflow Toggle
Option to disable vibration for Notification expansion
RAM Bar in the Recents panel
Timeout and instant lock options for Slide lock
VPN Traffic amount in human readable format

i really like some of the new features...

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

do the latest non-TW roms have two microphones working in call and do they support LTE?

mromero
Premium Member
Fullerton, CA

mromero

Premium Member

lte works

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

good to know

gjrhine
join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine to BKayrac

to BKayrac
said by BKayrac:

for most phones, first it goes through the phone maker.....for instance the galaxy s3........samsung needs to create the build for jellybean..........after that is done(which takes a while), it is then passed onto the carriers.......the carriers then need to do their tests, and trials, and modify anything they need/want to..........after that, it is then approved for OTA

which is why i have a galaxy nexus..............google announces update..........google decides to push update.........my phone receives update......no middle man

.....Lose the.........freakin.....annoying.......................dots..............

Steimes
I make internets
Premium Member
join:2002-01-08
Belle Vernon, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Steimes to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek
Okay this page really made me want my 4.1 right now: »www.samsung.com/us/artic ··· i-update

I know you guys love the custom ROMs, and unlike a lot of you I like the touch wiz interface. Anyone know if there is a stable release I can slap on my AT&T phone that will essentially give me the out of the box 4.1 that will get pushed out to me "soon."

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

We are getting 4.1 in the next coming weeks? Schweet!

mromero
Premium Member
Fullerton, CA

mromero

Premium Member

if you have the international quad core version yes. If you have one of the US versions with dual core, it's going to take a few months according to the verge.

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

said by mromero:

if you have the international quad core version yes. If you have one of the US versions with dual core, it's going to take a few months according to the verge.

According them to them. That page says nothing about dual/quad. I guess we will see.

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol

Premium Member

said by Cheese:

said by mromero:

According them to them. That page says nothing about dual/quad. I guess we will see.

They've made a public announcement saying US versions will take a few more months, aka carriers are fucking shit up again.

mromero
Premium Member
Fullerton, CA

mromero to Cheese

Premium Member

to Cheese
if you got the Sprint version, check for updates for nice surprise.

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

said by mromero:

Verizon :/
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to Alcohol

Premium Member

to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

They've made a public announcement saying US versions will take a few more months, aka carriers are fucking shit up again.

I don't think Samsung ever stated that... and it proved to be incorrect as of today.

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD to mromero

Premium Member

to mromero
said by mromero:

mannn... I have to flash the stock recovery...

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

1 edit

Harddrive to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek
My phone (on VZW) just rebooted on its own and is installing some new software.

(edit) Damn, only for minor fixes. Was hoping for Jelly Bean.
»www.verizonwireless.com/ ··· support/

mromero
Premium Member
Fullerton, CA

mromero

Premium Member

anyone try this kernel?

»forum.xda-developers.com ··· =1853816

I like it so far.
mromero

mromero