tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to chmod

Premium Member

to chmod

Re: Galaxy S3

Yes, you'd not be able to use an LTE version... would need a CDMA (correct?) version. But wait a couple of weeks and they will show up on ebay. A lot of people take advantage of their upgrade and sell the new phone to make a big profit (around $300-$400). Those should show up on ebay pretty quick.

But I also suspect that the price on this phone is going to crash. I have a strong feeling that it's not going to sell as well as the carriers thought it would. Certainly not on TM!

I think TM is going to find that not only is this phone not selling, but they are continuing to lose customers. Customers are going to see that TM is charging $80 more then _everyone_ else and go with the cheaper phone. TM likes to say that their plans are cheaper but people won't look at that (if they did, everyone would be on TM) and TM's service is not as good... that is why their plan is cheaper.

I'd buy the phone for $350 (16GB version) if TM would give me that price but I don't think they will. Right now I'm showing something like a $115 discount with a 2 year contract. If I knew for sure that I could still tether with this phone I'd consider paying a little more.

chmod
Premium Member
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL

1 edit

chmod

Premium Member

said by tcope:

But I also suspect that the price on this phone is going to crash. I have a strong feeling that it's not going to sell as well as the carriers thought it would. Certainly not on TM!

The samsung galaxy S line is dare I say comparable to the iphone in terms of people who must have it on the android side. For good reason I say to, it's a great device. I don't see the price on this phone dropping in any significant value anytime in the near future. As far as I know all the us sg3 variants on any provider carry the same specs. As far as t-mo service I won't get into a pissing match. All I can say is I avg 13mbps down on peak times and I've topped at 27 in my area on off peak. That beats my current cable internet provider by 12mbs on my peak and 2 below what I average. Of course this varies by area, phone, radio on our phone your using etc. I've have excellent results.
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

Yes, that is why TM still has customers. If you are in a city with good coverage.... you usualyl have a good data connection. But once you leave that city... good luck. Coverage drops to 2G according to the phone but good luck even maintaining a connection. That is where the other providers are much better and the reason why they are 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Why else would more people be paying more on those other networks.

What you are seeing now on the phone are reviews. The reviews are, for the most part good. They are not great. I fail to see why anyone would mention that this Android phone is comp to the iPhone. It's like saying a doberman is the just like a collie. But reviews drive initial speculation and initial sales. What you have after that is a _huge_ majority of possible customers who are not looking at haing the latest and greatest. They are looking for a good deal. At the current price structure, the S3 is not a great deal. I think carriers are going to see a back up of these phones pretty quickly.

On top of that, carriers usually discount phones pretty quick. It was mentioned in another forum that in 3 months this phone will probably be free. I suspect in 3 months it will be sold for $99 under 2 year contract. I don't think it will be free until Samsung comes out with another phone.

I think right now this phone is worth $200 with a 2 year contract. I don't think it's worth paying TM $280 as that $80 increase is just a slap in the face.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

The $80 increase is because no one else has it right now. I bet that price will come down as soon as the other carriers have stock.

Actually, the reviews for the most part are far better than simply good. I doubt the carriers will see "back up". Have you seen how well the Galaxy phones sell? This one will be no different.

On another note, we've been with T-Mobile for for about 10 years. We like them. A lot of people like them. In this area, ATT is/was a far worse quality carrier than TM. That's why I dumped them many years ago. Of course, that was back in the TDMA days, but I've never had a problem with T-Mobile.
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

said by 67845017:

The $80 increase is because no one else has it right now. I bet that price will come down as soon as the other carriers have stock.

TM has limited supply just like Sprint... but carriers do have the phone. We are also only talking about a matter of a few days. TM won't drop the price once everyone has ample stock so it's not the case of supply/demand.

They just feel that they can charge $80 more then everyone else.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

For now.

TM is I believe the only carrier that had immediate (limited) stock available.

mastsethi
join:2012-05-26

mastsethi to thegeek

to thegeek
said by thegeek:

said by mastsethi:

You cant price a phone that high unless it's an iPhone.

I wouldn't take a free iPhone. I won't even take one if I was paid to take it. I've used one and it is a horrible experience. I much prefer Android.

Android is like being single and living on a tropical island full of horny 20-something women. Lots of choice. Apple is like being married and living in Minnesota.

Android is awesome(I am using it) but it's a cheap copy of iOS
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

1 recommendation

tcope

Premium Member

said by mastsethi:

Android is awesome(I am using it) but it's a cheap copy of iOS

Troll some place else.

south1178
Premium Member
join:2001-12-17
Cleveland, OH

south1178 to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek
I looked at it. Touchwiz drives me nuts. After installing ICS on my Bionic, I can honestly say I'm not going to upgrade my phone for a while.

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

1 recommendation

thegeek

Premium Member

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered it. Can't wait for July 11th!
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope to south1178

Premium Member

to south1178
For what it's worth, I had read that Touchwiz was supposed to be reduced on this phone (from the S2 version).
Personally, the different UI's usually don't bother me too much. Right now I am using Tmobile's G2 and it's UI is pretty much stock Android. There can be something said about some UI's being better then stock. People have good things to say about HTC Sence.

I'd _LOVE_ to get the S3 but TMobile's website shows it for around $575 for me. That's too steep for me to pay. I think I'll call them and see if they would sell to me for $350. I'd pay that. It's possible my upgrade status might improve next month so I might need to wait.

I really do like what I'm reading about this phone.

Mentat
Premium Member
join:2001-02-25
Houston, TX

Mentat to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek
said by thegeek:

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered it. Can't wait for July 11th!

I just ordered one for my wife from VZW.com as well. She's still using the original Fascinate so this will be a nice surprise for her.

thegeek
Premium Member
right here

thegeek

Premium Member

Reminder: Anyone on Verizon has just a couple days to pull the trigger and get a new device if you have an upgrade available and want to keep unlimited data if you have it now. Starting June 28th you'll be forced to take the crappy family share plans or a capped data plan.

south1178
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

south1178

Premium Member

said by thegeek:

Reminder: Anyone on Verizon has just a couple days to pull the trigger and get a new device if you have an upgrade available and want to keep unlimited data if you have it now. Starting June 28th you'll be forced to take the crappy family share plans or a capped data plan.

Not true. If you want a subsidized phone yes but you can buy a phone retail and keep your unlimited for now.

thegeek
Premium Member
right here

1 recommendation

thegeek

Premium Member

said by south1178:

said by thegeek:

Not true. If you want a subsidized phone yes but you can buy a phone retail and keep your unlimited for now.

That is why I said if you have an upgrade available.

battlesite
Premium Member
join:2001-03-24
Burbank, CA

battlesite to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek
I was due for an upgrade so I went ahead and rolled the dice and ordered one. Supposedly I can keep my unlimited data plan. We'll see if Verizon tap-dances their way out of that verbal promise when the phone gets here.

thegeek
Premium Member
right here

thegeek

Premium Member

If for some reason my unlimited data goes away when I activate then Verizon will get the big FUCK YOU and I'll go to AT&T. I've stayed with Verizon for the superior network coverage but the more I look at it AT&T has decent coverage just about everywhere I go.

south1178
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

south1178 to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek
If more like when, unlimited, goes away. I'm hitting up boost or t-mobile.

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek
I bit the bullet and got mine yesterday, after walking around with a shattered EVO for a week.

I like it so far....really light in comparison to the EVO. Battery life is way better. Still getting familiar with it, but not bad. I wanna try out the tectiles as well.

Anyone have a recommendation for a case & holster for this thing?
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek
Preorderd my VZN version, I have been using a Droid-X since they where fairly new so figured it was time to use my upgrade.

gdm
MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL

gdm to thegeek

MVM

to thegeek
Rumor has it they are shipping pre orders early. People have been getting emails saying 7/6 delivery according to Droid Life. I haven't gotten an email on shipping yet.

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

mromero

Premium Member

i got the email that its shipping. They also charged my bank account.
mromero

mromero

Premium Member

can anyone recommend a decent 32 gb or 64gb micro sd card for my SIII? I don't mind spending a bit of money on quality if it lasts longer btw.

I don't know if I need a class 6 or 10 card either. I've read that it makes a difference going from a class 2 to a class 6, but nothing on class 6 vs class 10.

planning on putting a crap load of

1080p video/
Photos/
ROMS/
Apps/
Spotify 320 kbps files

Is this my best bet? something better?
»www.amazon.com/dp/B005LFT40G

gdm
MVM
Mchenry, IL

gdm

MVM

That's what I use fir ask are corporate phones they work great. I just did a 32 fir my s3.

When did you preorder yours?

mromero
Premium Member
Fullerton, CA

mromero

Premium Member

second day it was up for preorder

gdm
MVM
Mchenry, IL

gdm

MVM

I did mine on the 19th so maybe it'll ship this week. Original email said delayed shipment date of 7/10.

mromero
Premium Member
Fullerton, CA

mromero

Premium Member

This is not good!

»www.droid-life.com/2012/ ··· network/

gdm
MVM
Mchenry, IL

gdm

MVM

As someone posted it's typical of new phones to do this. Also the SIM in the S3 is different than the Droid Bionic and other phones from what I was told. So inserting an existing SIM won't do you any good if it's the wrong kind.

I just tried to check status of mine and the site says they are having technical difficulties right now.

south1178
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

south1178

Premium Member

Happens every release. Thunderbolt, Bionic, etc.
said by gdm:

As someone posted it's typical of new phones to do this. Also the SIM in the S3 is different than the Droid Bionic and other phones from what I was told. So inserting an existing SIM won't do you any good if it's the wrong kind.

I just tried to check status of mine and the site says they are having technical difficulties right now.

Correct. They are now using a micro-sim card.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek

I got mine

on Sprint.

GB is right, touchwiz sucks

but my biggest complaint is that it doesn't match up in benchmarks to other US SGS3s. Consistently, it comes up just a hair above the GNex. and just below SG2s.

and the wi-fi is a little funny, doesn't always connect to my home LAN.

Otherwise, I am very happy with this phone.