Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky to jvmorris

Premium Member

to jvmorris

Re: Galaxy S3

Well... obviously the S4 will be more than the S3 will be because they are probably going to lower the prices of the S3 just to try to move what devices they still have in the warehouse. This much I know. But, the question is... will the S4 be priced similarly to how the S3 was priced when the S3 came out?

Rumor has it that the S4 will have a quad-core CPU in it. The S3 only has a dual-core CPU.

I have a Galaxy Nexus right now and that only has a dual-core CPU in it and it's starting to show its age in the sense that some of the most mundane tasks seem to make the phone become sluggish.

When I buy this phone I'm going to be obviously locking myself into a two year contract so that means I'm going to be shackled to the phone for that much time. Obviously I wouldn't want to be stuck with a phone that's obsolete and slow some time in the future.

So if the S4 is going to be out soon and you had a choice, which would you choose? Wait for the S4 or grab the S3? I just don't want to be stuck with a paperweight a year from now.

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

said by trparky:

Well... obviously the S4 will be more than the S3 will be because they are probably going to lower the prices of the S3 just to try to move what devices they still have in the warehouse. This much I know. But, the question is... will the S4 be priced similarly to how the S3 was priced when the S3 came out?

I am by no means an expert on the ins and outs of the Android market, but I would not be surprised to see the S IV priced $50 to $100 more than the current list price on the S III. They'll soak the first adapters for every last penny they can get and then start dropping the price down towards the current list on the SIII when and only when demand starts falling, at least that would be my guess.

Rumor has it that the S4 will have a quad-core CPU in it. The S3 only has a dual-core CPU.

I think most, if not all, S IIIs currently being sold in Europe are quad-core. Dual-core, to the best of my knowledge, is US market only.

I have a Galaxy Nexus right now and that only has a dual-core CPU in it and it's starting to show its age in the sense that some of the most mundane tasks seem to make the phone become sluggish.

When I buy this phone I'm going to be obviously locking myself into a two year contract so that means I'm going to be shackled to the phone for that much time. Obviously I wouldn't want to be stuck with a phone that's obsolete and slow some time in the future.

I currently have an S III and I'm not worried about it becoming behind the curve any time soon. Course, I don't do lots of gaming on it or even watch many videos. As it is, my limit is with the pipe -- give me 4G or work through my home LAN which has a high speed connect and I might as well be using my laptop; 3G I can definitely see the slow-down on operations needing remote data access. I've downloaded some huge map files via the home LAN and it sucks them up at almost the same speed as the laptop.

If you're having problems with sluggishness, you might want to examine memory usage on the Nexus and see what you can do to cut it down. My old GARMINfone (which was pretty much obsolete when I first got it) was just poky if I had enough free memory but would slow to a crawl if my memory usage got too high. (It also had a memory leak which meant a full restore and reload to solve the problem, not something I ever enjoyed to say the least.)

So if the S4 is going to be out soon and you had a choice, which would you choose? Wait for the S4 or grab the S3? I just don't want to be stuck with a paperweight a year from now.

Well, I've got the S III for about six months now and I'm quite happy with it -- of course, YMMV.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

aren't the SGS3 going for $50 on contract

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

Probably, which is why I referred to current list, not the so-called special offers which usually require you trade in an existing phone (hopefully on which the existing 2-year contract has been fulfilled) and agree to another two-year contract.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
Netgear R7000
Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

nekkidtruth to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
said by Subaru:

Someone else said that and I got half that.. my htc evo is by far the worst.. sucks working 8 hour days and hardly making it before 3 pm.

If you truly aren't able to get at least a full day (aka. From the moment you leave your house in the morning, until you come home at night under a regular work schedule) out of your device, the first thing you should be looking at is "How can I change my usage and what useless apps should I get rid of?".

From there, you change other obvious things such as how often something syncs in the background, how bright the display needs to be in order for you view it without stressing your eyes, widgets that eat battery life (and data)...

If you're serious about wanting to get the most out of your battery, seriously consider a custom ROM for your S3. There are so many out there. I know a lot of people are afraid of going through that process as well as some who feels you shouldn't have to, but that's really a lame excuse.

Custom ROM's are optimized specifically for the device it's being compiled for and most times have a custom kernel which utilizes the hardware much better than stock Android. You would think "Who better than the manufacturer to optimize for their own device???". However, most manufacturers don't care enough to dig deeper into Android or Linux to optimize. They merely bring the device up to snuff (aka their own standards) and then throw them out into the market. Some manufacturers are better than others of course.

With highly optimized custom ROM's/kernels such as Cyanogenmod, AOKP and a few others (most based off CM), there's really no point in running stock ROM's from manufacturers. At least not at this particular time. Some may change that in the future by getting better at it. This of course is my own personal opinion.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

I used to use tasker to limit certain things, right now what has me going for the note 2 over the GIII is it has dual speakers, my last phone that had dual speakers was the HTC wizard I'm not sure if the note2 is as loud as that one but two over one could be better.

As for the data I'm sure I can limit that, and hopefully being in a not so great signal area wont eat up as much battery.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
London, ON
Netgear R7000
Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

nekkidtruth

Premium Member

Which carrier would you be going with or which carrier will you be getting the phone from? So I can point you towards the correct are on XDA for custom ROM's if you're interested in reading/learning

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

It would be sprint, I'm not new to rooting as my evo is but I'd be curious to know which one is the best for the note.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
London, ON
Netgear R7000
Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

1 recommendation

nekkidtruth

Premium Member

Here you go: