share rss forum feed

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to petercarlos

Re: free or low cost voip with caller id.

I'm not confusing anything; an extension is a convenience that allows you to more easily route inbound calls, something you register an ATA to. It has nothing to do with outbound calling. A $4.95 VoIP.ms DID includes "unlimited" minutes (there's a soft cap on that of 3500 minutes, as has been mentioned), rendering the $10 fee you list unnecessary.

You also give a "variable" rate of $5.20 to $20.70 for Canada outbound, but there is no pricing rate that could produce $20.70 outbound ($0.0207). The *ONLY* Canadian destination that costs more than $0.0052 per minute are the territories at $0.0102, and considering that very few people live in the territories, I don't think it's something most people consider. The other destination is 310 numbers, but that's a service (like 310-bell), not a person you'd call, and even that is only $0.0125 per minute).

The Real PBX's cheapest listed plan is $9.95 per month, and no option to pay only $2 for a DID alone is listed on their pricing page (except a $2 per month extra fee for a toll-free number). That $9.95 per month does not include many of the features you get for free from VoIP.ms, such as follow-me, unlimited voicemail boxes, call routing, multi-level menus, dial-by-name, etc.

So, basically, you've artificially overinflated voip.ms prices by including unnecessary charges (inbound on an unlimited DID) and non-existent rates (there is no $0.0207 rate for Canada). You appear to also have under-stated costs at The Real PBX; either you or their pricing page is lying or incomplete...

As for the "extra reliability and security" that you're paying multiple times more money per month for, check again. voip.ms is a Canadian company based in Montreal, operating in the VoIP business for more than five years. Real PBX is based in New Delhi, India, only registered their domain in 2010, and used a domain anonymization service to hide their information. I'm starting to wonder if you're astroturfing...
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

petercarlos

join:2012-03-14
An extension can make an outbound call. DID (Direct Inward Dialing) is a number that you can use for inward dialing only. Whenever a call comes, it is received on DID from where it is directed to the extensions.

Answering according to the requirements, newcust123 has mentioned his basic requirement as I would need caller id, but i do not do long distance. Just local call. So, the only feature that is essential for him is caller ID. So, why to discuss other features? I suggested the most basic plan which can meet his requirements.

See, I dont know about what services you are using or how the services are, all I want to say is that it does not matter how old the company is, it is a matter of the reliability and security that I have personally experienced with this company.

zorxd

join:2010-02-05
Quebec, QC
Reviews:
·Acanac
I think you confuse extension with SIP account.
Technically you can have an SIP account that can only make (but not receive) calls if you really want to.
An extension is a an internal phone number. It works like a DID but can't be dialled from the outside world.

petercarlos

join:2012-03-14
This is exactly what I am trying to say. DID is a local area number that you can use. This DID is internally connected to extensions. Whenever a user makes a call, he calls the DID but it has to be answered on an extension. An extension cannot be directly dialed. However, when one needs to make a call, it has to be dialed to the outside world through an extension. The main use of DID is that when we call a customer, our local number gets displayed so that if he wants to call back, we can receive the call. That’s why I said that it can be used for incoming. We dial through extension but we can set our local number or original number or even a toll-free number to get displayed through the caller ID. DID is basically a virtual number that cannot be configured on any phone.