Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium Member
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA

Voxxjin

Premium Member

Falling Skies Returns Sunday

Just a reminder for anyone interested. I have been rewatching the first season to remind me what has been going on. I am surprised though that TNT didn't replay the first season over the past couple of weeks. I thought for sure they would have. Or at least had a Saturday or Sunday marathon before the premier.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Thanks,.....

I had to reset one of my Windows 7 Media Center systems so I need to add Falling Skies as a series recording. That and True Blood as well as a few others.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

Not really crazy about this show, but I watch it anyway.

I don't know what it is about it, but it just doesn't seem to have any life to it. And the older son is annoying.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium Member
Dupont, WA

Voxxjin

Premium Member

Last season when I watched it, I felt the same way. Actually had missed the last couple of episodes when they came out. Strangely as I watch the season again this week, I find myself liking it better than the first time. Maybe because as I watch it now I don't have 5 minutes of commercials after every five minutes of show time.

SRFireside
join:2001-01-19
Houston, TX

SRFireside

I plan on DVRing it and watching later for the exact same reason.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
said by Alpha Phoenix:

Not really crazy about this show, but I watch it anyway.

Same here. It needs less boo-hooing and more alien ass-kicking, which the promos seems to suggest we'll get.

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau to Voxxjin

Premium Member

to Voxxjin
I agree with the consensus in this thread. It had good start but got tired of the older son boohooing. I just hope it isn't just another beat aliens drama. I was hoping for some twist.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

What I dont' get is how the hell this show got renewed, but other shows that are MUCH better got cancelled??? Smh...

Wily_One
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

Wily_One

Premium Member

Steven Spielberg might have something to do with it.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by Wily_One:

Steven Spielberg might have something to do with it.

That and that it stars Noah Wyle. He has some pull.

Kosh
We are all Kosh
Premium Member
join:2005-11-16
Z'ha'dum

Kosh to Wily_One

Premium Member

to Wily_One
Thankfully he couldn't save Terra Nova at least.

Tonight's ep will be interesting, even the writers of Falling Skies admitted they "wrote themselves into a corner".

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

I am not sure what to make of last night's episode. I'm glad to see that the kid's have taken a more role in 'fighting' the aliens. But I would have liked to seen more aliens.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium Member
Dupont, WA

1 recommendation

Voxxjin

Premium Member

I was ok with them last night. Though there is one thing that has bothers me between the end of last season and even this season. If they are using mech slugs that seem to put a good sized hole in mechs, why does it seem that you still need 10 people to each use a whole mag to put one down? BTW I have a word of advice for the resistance....landmines.

Whatever the eyebug thing is, I feel that is a little over the top. Also I am not fond of Ben's 'powers'.
12188073 (banned)
join:2012-06-18
united kingd

12188073 (banned) to Voxxjin

to Voxxjin
i have watched a few episodes of falling skies before the end of first season although i didn't really get to finish the whole season as i got interested in other shows but then now that i have heard news that it is coming back i would love to be able to catch up on a few episodes too.Hopefully i can stream online or catch some marathon on tv if the will show the first season again.

Wily_One
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
Once again they didn't waste time getting to the boo-hoo parts, but I'll cut them some slack since it's to be expected following the father's return. The whole catch and release thing does add an interesting dynamic now, I expect we'll see more flashbacks over the course of the season.

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by Wily_One:

Once again they didn't waste time getting to the boo-hoo parts, but I'll cut them some slack since it's to be expected following the father's return. The whole catch and release thing does add an interesting dynamic now, I expect we'll see more flashbacks over the course of the season.

Yea. He did mention that he lost some of memory, so I expect that as the season progresses, his memory will come back.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
Maybe TNT is willing to take a chance, that a major network isn't willing to take.
Granted NBC carried Chuck for 5 years, and Fox carried Fringe for 5 years. But those are exceptions. I haven't figured out why they were exceptions, but other shows weren't.
Snakeoil

Snakeoil to Voxxjin

Premium Member

to Voxxjin
I thought hey had a limited number of slugs.

The eyeball bug sorta got my "ugh" feeling going. Seeing the bug swim in the eye, then the tool, being used to pull it out.

As for Ben's "powers". It could be how the writers are trying to write themselves out of the corner.
Ben might still be evolving. I recall that a couple of the humans were discussing how the skitters might reproduce. Maybe they don't reproduce, but are produced by the harness changing it's host

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium Member
Dupont, WA

Voxxjin

Premium Member

said by Snakeoil:

I thought hey had a limited number of slugs.

The eyeball bug sorta got my "ugh" feeling going. Seeing the bug swim in the eye, then the tool, being used to pull it out.

As for Ben's "powers". It could be how the writers are trying to write themselves out of the corner.
Ben might still be evolving. I recall that a couple of the humans were discussing how the skitters might reproduce. Maybe they don't reproduce, but are produced by the harness changing it's host

I know they had a limited number of bullets but before one group leaves someone drops off two large boxes to the rearguard and says they are the new bullets. But still I feel it took an awful lot of rounds to kill a mech considering the damage one round could do.

As for your spoiler comment, that was my impression between the changes that have gone on and the autopsy of the one skitter.
netsurfer1
join:2012-04-13
Atlanta, GA

netsurfer1 to Voxxjin

to Voxxjin
Is this a good show guys? Will you recommend this?

Wily_One
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

Wily_One

Premium Member

Let me put it this way - it lasted longer than V.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium Member
Dupont, WA

Voxxjin to netsurfer1

Premium Member

to netsurfer1
It's not bad. I am enjoying overall. But it is not like some shows where each episode is its own separate story. Like the Walking Dead, the episodes feed into the next. If you miss one (and you are like me) you won't watch the future episodes until you watch the one you missed or you might be missing something.

Kosh
We are all Kosh
Premium Member
join:2005-11-16
Z'ha'dum

1 recommendation

Kosh to netsurfer1

Premium Member

to netsurfer1
It's something that you watch between programs you really like. Never my first choice, but worth watching when everything else has been exhausted. Frankly there aren't a lot of great sci-fi options right now, so I'm glad to see something in the genre at least.

And yes, it's much better than V and Terra Nova, but that doesn't tell you much.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

1 recommendation

Draiman to netsurfer1

to netsurfer1
said by netsurfer1:

Is this a good show guys? Will you recommend this?

I wouldn't recommend it at all. My wife likes it so I force myself to watch it with her so we can spend an hour together. I can't see it making it past this season either. If Spielberg wasn't behind this it wouldn't have been renewed last season. "V" was much better and that's not saying a lot.

SRFireside
join:2001-01-19
Houston, TX

SRFireside to Wily_One

to Wily_One
Technically V lasted two seasons and we are on just season 2 for Falling Skies. Still Falling Skies is a good deal better than V. You can tell, however, that the writers are starting to slip. Hopefully the story gets better footing in the coming episodes.

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium Member
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA

Daarken

Premium Member

One thing to consider is that Falling Skies 1st season was only 10 episodes, (I hate these half seasons) but it ended with a 5.9 ratings.
Season 2's starting episode had a 4.5 rating.
Those are strong numbers, however it will be a wait and see, between what it costs to produce and what the advertisers bring in.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

1 recommendation

Draiman to Voxxjin

to Voxxjin
I guess debating which show sucked more, "V" or "Falling Skies", isn't that productive but.....I watched the original "V" so given that the edge goes to "V" for me. Not sure why the new sci-fi stuff is so bad these days. We have stuff like "V", "Terra Nova", "Lost Girl", "Falling Skies", etc. yet they cancel good stuff like "Eureka". Can we get a new series on the level of the original "Star Gate" series?

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

I would like to see them move away from Alien invasions, and back into space exploration.
Maybe a rebirth of Farscape, or Blake's 7, or even Space 1999.

Between V and Falling Skies, and The Event, Dr. Who, alien invasion has been a tad over done the last few years.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium Member
Dupont, WA

Voxxjin

Premium Member

said by Snakeoil:

I would like to see them move away from Alien invasions, and back into space exploration.
Maybe a rebirth of Farscape, or Blake's 7, or even Space 1999.

I have heard rumors of a revamp of Space:1999---to be called Space:2099. Not a whole lot of info out there for it.

Recently I have been jonesing for some of the scifi shows from my childhood that I haven't seen in a long time. Currently been watching the original Battlestar Galactica. Space:1999, Logans Run and Buck Rogers are on my list to watch again. Then probably will watch all the Babylon 5 and Crusade episodes/movies. And somewhere in there Firefly as well.