TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to Voxxjin

Re: Falling Skies Returns Sunday

Will Patton (Capt Weaver) as got to be one of the worse actors in the World. How he keeps getting work is beyond me.

Terry O'Quinn's presence is awesome, it will elevate the show.

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
Canada
reply to Rob
said by Rob:

I wonder if Noah is upset that in ER, he had to report to Dr. Weaver. And now in Falling Skies, he has to report to Captain Weaver. Poor man can't get away from having to report to 'a' Weaver

Mwahaha I had forgotten about that.

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
Canada
reply to Voxxjin
Lt./Admiral/Lt. Hoshi is in too apparently.

Kosh
We are all Kosh
Premium
join:2005-11-16
Z'ha'dum
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Rob
Last episode was pretty good. I liked some of the character developments and friction that occured.

As for the Manchester question, I don't think he's a collaborator or has any ulterior motives. In fact the real problem may be that he believes so strongly in his principles that he's dangerous. He honestly believes that the aliens will leave eventually, and that the best way to protect his people is to assert a strong civilian control over the military and not take any unnecessary risks. It's a respectable and honorable viewpoint, but completely incorrect in light of what viewers have seen through the eyes of the 2nd Mass.

--
"I'm just a human being trying to make it in a world that is very rapidly losing its understanding of being human." - John Trudell

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
Agreed. The head in the sand approach that so many favor vs facing the problem head on.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Kosh
Yeah, that basically sums it up.

But I think the military solution went a bit too far at the end of the episode. I think it would have been simpler (though less dramatic) to split the military from the civilian government, with Gen. Bressler calling the shots for the military and Manchester in charge of the civilian population. Bressler would still have to provide for the defense of the settlement, but could mount patrols and attack the enemy if the opportunity arose.

Pretty good episode. And Pope sitting down to a meal was hilarious.
Oddly, while there were no aliens in the episode, there was more tension than in episodes filled with them.

--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Rob
said by Rob:

Is Manchester working with the aliens, or does he have an ulterior motive?

He's too enamored with the idea of being "the father of a new government" to be working with the aliens.  That guy has drank his own koolaid.

P.S. Do we really need spoiler tags anymore? If I miss an episode or don't watch right away, I just don't open the thread until I catch up...

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
I just watched it last night. I agree with Wily_one regarding manchester. The guy wants to be George Washington.

Though when I see the general, I can't stop thinking "Max Headroom".

I can't wait until next week to see if the meeting is truly a game changer.
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
I can't stop thinking "Taggart" from Eureka.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Rook008
I agree with the points you mention, a two pronged leadership.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
I think it would be important to have a secure home base from which the non-fighters can live/rebuild. Have a defense force to protect them but in general, to lay low.

At the same time, they should have a 'field army'. One that will take the fight to the enemy. Strike away from Charleston so as to not draw extra aliens to the area.
--

Wily_One
Premium
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

The kid already told the harnessed girl about Charleston, so it's just a matter of time before he finds out that was a bad move.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
Ya. I've been curious as to why she was "out in the wild". Are there harnessed kids that are with the rebels [still wearing harness]. She may have been one of them. Or maybe someone killed their skitter watchers, and they were free. Did they ever cover what happens to harness kids if their skitter controller was killed?
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Wily_One
Premium
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
Wow, so we have to wait until 2013 to find out if the new aliens are friend or foe ?

Is it me or do the TV seasons make no sense any more. This is the kind of crap SciFi pulls.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

1 recommendation

I think they do the short "season" for 2 reasons.
1] To help keep costs down, or to allow a bigger nugdet per episode.
2]Easier to slip in between the "breaks" of the main networks seasons. So while the big 4 is showing reruns, you get to watch new shows on the alternate networks.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

SRFireside

join:2001-01-19
Houston, TX
Also it's pretty much the "in" thing as just about all the networks are doing these truncated seasons and have been doing it for quite a few years. When was the last time you seen a season of more than 24 or 25 shows?

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to Wily_One
I'd bet that the new aliens were enemies of the fish-heads, and turn into allies of the humans. They suggested as much when we saw the weapon the fish-heads were building was pointing skyward, probably to defend against the enemy they knew were coming.
That, and unless you're reading The Forever War, the bad guys always look like bad guys and the good guys always look like good guys. The new alien looked pretty friendly to me.

Pretty much everything on TV has a cliffhanger ending. I guess it's something to get people to watch when the show eventually starts back up. I don't think anyone who watches TV likes it.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
I think the same think. When they were at the weapon, when Tom asked why it was pointed towards the sky when the Fish Heads have already eradicated the Air Force, Ben responded that it's not for us.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

Wily_One
Premium
San Jose, CA

2 recommendations

reply to Rook008
The cliffhanger ending is not the issue - nothing new there. These wacky "seasons" make it so I never know when anything is on anymore. Falling Skies is ending right when other shows should be starting.

Thank goodness for DVRs.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

Agreed! I hate these partial seasons, then they come back months later and you don't remember what the hell happened before, and I hate these weeks/month long breaks between episodes. I just want them to air a complete season, start-finish consistently.

I actually have to have a list for all the shows I watch to keep track of when what is coming back. Thanks goodness for darcilicious See Profile!
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

Kosh
We are all Kosh
Premium
join:2005-11-16
Z'ha'dum
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Voxxjin
Looks like it's going to be 10 months before we find anything out about the paratroopers. In all likelihood, they are allies as Rook008 See Profile says. Is it just me, or was the helmeted dude giving us a shit-eatin' grin?

The long waits between seasons alienate me a bit as well, and IMO this strategy can backfire. Viewers like me are liable to simply forget during the interregnum. Sickbeard does help though.
--
"I'm just a human being trying to make it in a world that is very rapidly losing its understanding of being human." - John Trudell

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
said by Kosh:

Looks like it's going to be 10 months before we find anything out about the paratroopers. In all likelihood, they are allies as Rook008 See Profile says. Is it just me, or was the helmeted dude giving us a shit-eatin' grin?

Yeah, well if you had a killer entrance , and the whole cool helmet thing going on, you would have a shit-eating grin on your face as well.
--

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
reply to Kosh
Yeah, it was a shit-eatin' grin of sorts.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Wily_One
I guess I'm used to it by now. Most of the shows I like are on cable TV where the seasons are between 10 and 13 episodes long. And they usually air straight through without much in the way of breaks, which I prefer to watching a show on a broadcast network which is interrupted for sports and awards shows and reruns.

Broadcast TV is where you'll likely find a season that is 20+ episodes long, and there's not that much there that I watch.

For instance, on Sunday night there were 6 shows I wanted to watch. None of them is a broadcast TV show.
--

facepalm

join:2012-08-20
Lumberton, TX
reply to Voxxjin
2013 is still a long way off! I hope we're talking January and not April. lol

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
Canada
reply to Voxxjin
I'd vote for the new aliens to be friendlies.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Alpha Phoenix
I guess it'll be a wait and see. In 2013 it will be war of the Alien invasion TV series. The veteran Falling Skies vs the new comer Defiance on Sy-Fy. There might be another Alien invasion series, not sure though.
--

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Voxxjin
First reaction is also the new aliens are friendlies. Part of me thinks would be too convienent. maybe the new guys are badder guys who don't mind killing fishheads and humans. Seems like they have some nice tech. Interesting they picked Charleston to land. Did they land elsewhere?

So Hal now has a problem. Not sure how to take Bressler, esp considering his actions against the reb skitters.
--

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

2 edits
reply to Rob

[Falling Skies] Rolly Polly Fish Heads.

OMGz I'm shellshocked! Falling Skies S02E10 "A More Perfect Union". Oh sheet, NEW alien in encounter suit! Good or Baddie? Yikes! I'll Take Alien Bovine Deserts For $100 Alex. And wow the helmet shape and big shoulders brings the Vorlon image into my brain. Hopes they're goodies with the rebel skitters, and yes that was definitely a "shit eating grin on the face of the alien boogie. . Can't wait for next episode! Death to the FishHeads! Meanwhiles I'm haunted by Hal's new bug symbiont that crawled into his ear. Good or bad omen, depends I guess on who's on the other end of it, RedEye had one but is this the same side's (rebel) bug?
> In other news TNT picked up Falling Skies for a 3rd season, production is underway. Debuts sometime in 2013 so I guess we're in for a wait.
--
You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.
Twitter:Merv Chat:irc.teksavvy.ca

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

[Falling Skies] Now in Production Season 3

New Falling Skies Casts members.

Robert Sean Leonard, Gloria Reuben, Doug Jones

--
You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.
Twitter:Merv Chat:irc.teksavvy.ca