Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to Voxxjin

Re: Falling Skies Returns Sunday

I've been hoping for a relaunch of Logan's run, as a series of Movies.

There were a couple of Books that went beyond the original Logan's run book, and seemed interesting. I recall that they had tried putting together a second movie but it never went anywhere.

I can just barely recall the TV series.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

seginus

join:2008-01-30
Worcester, MA
reply to Voxxjin
Wasn't the round Pope demo'd a .44 or .50 revolver round? So 5.56mm or 7.62mm rounds wouldn't have as much punch, right?

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Voxxjin
I finally got around to watching the season premier two-parter last night. I can't really remember much about season 1, but I feel like season 2 is off to a very good start. Plenty of alien-killing action, some "what did they do to me?" intrigue, and a meeting with a "skinny." And I like that they have to keep moving or risk getting trapped and slaughtered.
Like most here I find plot points involving the kids to be annoying.
I hope they eventually dissect a mech to find out where to shoot the thing to bring it down without first firing off 100 rounds of mech-piercing ammo.

More Moon Bloodgood, please.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

I would like to see them move away from Alien invasions, and back into space exploration.
Maybe a rebirth of Farscape, or Blake's 7, or even Space 1999.

Between V and Falling Skies, and The Event, Dr. Who, alien invasion has been a tad over done the last few years.

A cross between Firefly, Farscape, and Stargate would be sweet.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
I could see one between Farscape and Stargate. As they both dealt with wormholes.

cobracmdr

join:2007-01-21
Ambridge, PA
reply to Voxxjin
Watched this weeks episode with the lady in the airplane, telling the group about Charleston, SC, I can see it being a reservation or interment camp set up by the aliens.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
said by cobracmdr:

Watched this weeks episode with the lady in the airplane, telling the group about Charleston, SC, I can see it being a reservation or interment camp set up by the aliens.

I kinda thought the same thing. During the season premier, the alien said something about living in a protected area. I wonder is Charleston is it and the pilot is a ruse
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
said by Voxxjin:

said by cobracmdr:

I kinda thought the same thing. During the season premier, the alien said something about living in a protected area. I wonder is Charleston is it and the pilot is a ruse

Agreed. I kept hearing a ding ding ding noise in my head.

I don't think Mason has revealed the aliens plans at forcing humans onto a reservation. If he hasn't I wonder why.

--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
I feel the same way as the last few posters.
Or, as Admiral Ackbar would say: "It's a trap!"

So far the season is pretty good.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
reply to Voxxjin
Question - the commander of the 2nd Mass (I forget his name), he always has a couple pieces of string tied around a couple of his fingers. Anyone have any idea what that is about?
--

Rob
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Snakeoil
I don't think Mason has told them because he's afraid they'll accuse him of being under the control of Aliens.. that or.. he really is under the control of Aliens and that will be revealed at the end of the season
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to Voxxjin
What are the aliens after? Resources?

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

1 recommendation

reply to Voxxjin
Finally got caught up with all DVRed episodes, just wanted to say I was underwhelmed at this season. The need to stay with injured while enemy is close (reminded me of a MASH episode) also the kids who fend for themselves ( I thought of Combat!) It's okay, I was expecting more with the harness factory, more "high-tech" looked ehh made on a shoe string.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
said by Warzau:

I was expecting more with the harness factory, more "high-tech" looked ehh made on a shoe string.

Not sure what the aliens are doing but it seems odd to have the harnessed kids picking up scrap metal all over the place. Still haven't understood the purpose of the harnessed kids are.

Though last night's episode introduced a new twist inthe story line.
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to Voxxjin
So they now have “Kate” from BSG and “Henry” from Sanctuary.

Good for them,…..

While I continue to tune in and have watched every episode aired the show is somehow lacking something. Its never grabbed me, I can’t exactly call myself a fan of the show. Like other I likely watch it out of a dearth of scifi shows.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
said by Octavean:

So they now have “Kate” from BSG and “Henry” from Sanctuary.

Good for them,…..

While I continue to tune in and have watched every episode aired the show is somehow lacking something. Its never grabbed me, I can’t exactly call myself a fan of the show. Like other I likely watch it out of a dearth of scifi shows.

Agreed!
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

Warzau
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to Voxxjin
Ohh boy just saw last nights episode, now it's gone down the 1980's V mini series, sigh I was hoping for more.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
I was thinking The humans need an ally against the aliens. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a third alien race that was at war with the other 2

And lo and behold look what happened. lol....

Either there are no new things to create [meaning audiences are jaded], or they had to really dig deep to do what they did
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
If its done exceptionally well, it doesn’t necessarily matter that the story line has been done before ad nauseam. An example of this would be (arguably) “Avatar”.

Warzau
Premium
Naperville, IL
True but I was expecting more of a twist than this. Perhaps their creation that has gotten out of their control?

SRFireside

join:2001-01-19
Houston, TX
reply to Octavean
said by Octavean:

While I continue to tune in and have watched every episode aired the show is somehow lacking something.

Agreed. What I am noticing is the either the writing is a little off or the way the character are written just bugs me. This is the second time a significant element regarding their alien enemies comes to light and the humans just brush it off so they can hate more skitters. I feel like the show takes several steps back each time they do this.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Yeah, its difficult to pinpoint what the problem is,…

I don’t really care about the characters or feel invested in them in any way. If given the option I probably would have cast many of the key roles differently which suggests I don’t much care for the actors. The writing isn’t spectacular either IMO. Execution in terms of overall production quality seems a little lacking as well.

This is sort of how I felt about Caprica but not quite as bad. Caprica was IMO an abysmal failure in the face of the unmitigated excellence of BSG.

I’ll give honorable mention to Moon Bloodgood though. I’ve always found her to be incredibly attractive in a bewitching kind of way. Unfortunately, this season has her looking chronically tired (understandable given the fictional situation), chronically dirty (again understandable) and seemingly heavier then I have ever seen her (what’s up with that,..?). I believe they changed her wardrobe a little this season to try and cover it up.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
Agreed wholeheartedly!

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Voxxjin
I like the direction that the show is heading in so far this season. I think it opens up a whole new set of possibilities for plot developments further down the line and broadens the scope of the war. I like it better than the "all skitters must die" approach, but the 2nd Mass could use a few more strategists and a few less gung-ho shooters to make something work with the new information.
It is a bit of a tired theme, but it can work if written well enough.

And I'm glad they got rid of one more of the kids too.
--

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to Voxxjin
It's already been renewed for a 3rd season. Not sure if that's good or bad yet. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
»www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/1 ··· 059.html

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Rook008
said by Rook008:

I like the direction that the show is heading in so far this season. I think it opens up a whole new set of possibilities for plot developments further down the line and broadens the scope of the war. I like it better than the "all skitters must die" approach, but the 2nd Mass could use a few more strategists and a few less gung-ho shooters to make something work with the new information.
It is a bit of a tired theme, but it can work if written well enough.

And I'm glad they got rid of one more of the kids too.

I've been liking this season as well.

Though I've had to over look a bit of nit picking:

1]Fire at night. Really? The enemy can't detect the heat from fire, or a large group of people.

2]Noise. The camp seems pretty noisy for a group of people trying to stay hidden.
--

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
said by Snakeoil:

Though I've had to over look a bit of nit picking:

1]Fire at night. Really? The enemy can't detect the heat from fire, or a large group of people.

2]Noise. The camp seems pretty noisy for a group of people trying to stay hidden.

Yeah I have thought about the fires and even the lights but I am guessing that they have stayed far enough away from most alien outposts that patrols are rare.

I am surprised at the number of times the aliens send ground troops when they could probably send a 'plane' to bomb.
--

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
reply to Voxxjin
Yea lots of things 'off' about Falling Skies. They paint the aliens as stupid. I mean a mech walks by a car with people in it and doesn't notice their heat signatures or noise they're making? The main ways to track humans would be: motion, noise, heat. It seems all the humans have to do is mitigate one or even two of those to defeat them all. You just have to overlook that and chalk it up to stupid aliens or the aliens are overlooking it in order to get a season 3!

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Snakeoil
Best not to look too deep. Recall the aluminum siding used to mask the heat signature of vehicles. Well not all of their vehicles use them especially not the two stroke (Noisey) motorcycles.

But yeah, there should be any number of ways to track humans. Car imissions, methane / ammonia from human waste and so on,.....

I don't really take issue with the show over such things though,...