how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Nsane_iceman
Premium
join:2001-02-26
North Richland Hills, TX

[Help] It happened, tranny or rear diff going out, but which?

Morning all,

Was going to keep this post going, but it was too old:

»New starter to weaken other parts?

Yesterday my 1996 Dodge RAM 1500 v8 5.2L 318cu with ~212,000 miles had issues reversing after driving home (25 miles), making a few stops, then at the gas station it wouldn't reverse.

Got in it this morning and the reverse was working, drove down the street at 30 mph, stopped at a gas station for smokes, tried reverse and it worked. Got on the main street and up to 40 mph and it started to make a whine and grind sound, sounded like it was in the back being the rear diff.

Texted a mechanic bud, told him all the above and he said that the tranny shouldn't whine and grind, just the rear diff does. He asked that I remove the rubber plug and check for metal shavings, haven't done it yet, had to catch the train to work.

Need help figuring which it could be based on the above, to take it to a tranny shop, or a trusted mechanic in the area for a ~$200 rear diff replacement.

Thanks much for your help!
--
Avatar by: dandelion | Tell me, tell me what you're after. I just want to get there faster.

guhuna
Premium
join:2001-03-31
Clayton, CA

Re: [Help] It happened, tranny or rear diff going out, but which

Easiest would be to jack the rear up and take he pumpkin cover off to do a visual inspection.
You could pull the rubber plug but since its got all those miles on it might as well take the cover off and check it out.

Nsane_iceman
Premium
North Richland Hills, TX

1 edit

said by guhuna:

Easiest would be to jack the rear up and take he pumpkin cover off to do a visual inspection.
You could pull the rubber plug but since its got all those miles on it might as well take the cover off and check it out.

Yeah, spoke with the plant engineers here at work, they figure the rear diff is worn, low, or out of fluid which is stressing the tranny.

Starting with the rear diff cover off, visual inspection, 75w or 90w fluid back in it, and test drive, but watch out they said, they've seen rear diffs catch fire...

-edit-
Rear diff oil is 90, 80w-90, and 85w-90

--
Avatar by: dandelion | Tell me, tell me what you're after. I just want to get there faster.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

1 recommendation

reply to Nsane_iceman

Nsane_iceman
Premium
North Richland Hills, TX

1 edit
reply to guhuna

said by guhuna:

Removed the cover, oil was rather low, but the gears looked fine to me.

Changed gasket, there was a break and leak in the old gasket at the top right, added oil (2qt Lucas 85w-140 plus 1qt Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer), took it for a test drive.

Started by testing reverse, it worked, drove to a local gas station and when it downshifts from what I think is 3rd to 2nd going from 35mph to 25mph, I start to here clanking around and like I am dragging something metal. Slow it down to 20mph the rest of the way and stopped at the gas station.

Started it back up, tried reverse and it worked, drove back to the house and the same started to happen when getting up to 35 and going back down to ~25mph. I stopped, shift down to 2nd and drove home without an issue.

Texted with my mechanic bud, he still doesn't think it's the transmission, as it shouldn't whine, clank, or grind, but the drive shaft or the rear diff and asked me to check the drive shaft to see if it spins by hand or has play in it.

I'll have to do that today after work.

Thanks much for your help!

--edit--
Spoke with another IT coworker and he, despite all others, think that I maybe missing teeth on the 3rd or 4th gear. Just tossing that out there.

--

guhuna
Premium
join:2001-03-31
Clayton, CA
Reviews:
·PHONE POWER

I'd jack it back up with some jack stands, put some chocks on the front and free wheel the rear and have someone try and pinpoint it. Now this is very dangerous if you've never done it before so let your mechanic friend do it if you aren't comfortable.
At least that way you can get an idea if its a bad pinion shaft bearing or something tranny related.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

3 recommendations

reply to Nsane_iceman

If you actually could not make the vehicle move while the transmission was in reverse, (as in the engine revs up but nothing happens---feels like it is in neutral) then there are only *TWO* things that can cause that issue:

1. The transmission is failing.

2. the rear differential gears have failed.

If it's a 4X4, then add one more piece--the transfer case is failing.

Now, note that I said "failing" for the trans and/or the transfer case. Those are both capable of having an intermittent issue with engagement, which is what you are describing. It doesn't happen all the time.

The rest of the effort you are spending checking driveshafts, rear gears and bearings is a complete waste of time. They are either good (the truck will move) or they are broken, (the truck will not move) and are NOT intermittent, which your problem is. Leave them alone, and focus on the problem, which is almost for sure in the transmission. Reverse gear failure in a Dodge truck transmission is more than a common occurrence.

As far as your "mechanic bud" goes, you need a new bud. Automatic transmissions are more than capable of causing whining, clanking and grinding, and some do it with a real passion just before they dump their contents onto the pavement. To say they don't make noise in a failure says he has no idea what he is talking about, sorry.

Nsane_iceman
Premium
North Richland Hills, TX

1 recommendation

Hey Mattmag, thanks for the advice, to the transmission shop it goes on Thursday.

Figured "mechanic bud" knew more than I did / do about cars and was saying the transmission should only be linkage and not make those sounds, meh.

Now to put a used transmission in there and hope to get another 50k miles to buy a new one, and use this just for moving and towing, or have her rebuilt and maybe last another, what, 150k maybe?

Thanks much to all who posted and even read!
--

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by Nsane_iceman:

Now to put a used transmission in there and hope to get another 50k miles to buy a new one, and use this just for moving and towing, or have her rebuilt and maybe last another, what, 150k maybe?

What's the price difference between used or rebuilt? And how long do you want to keep the vehicle?

Nsane_iceman
Premium
North Richland Hills, TX

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by cdru:

said by Nsane_iceman:

What's the price difference between used or rebuilt? And how long do you want to keep the vehicle?

Sorry for the delayed post, wife's coworker's nephew has a car shop.
Worked with them to put a used transmission with 72,000 miles for $850.

While working on it, they said I needed to go with a different oil filter than K&N, something about it filtering too much, holding oil, and to use an STP filter...

Feel it's BS, the filter, ummm, well filters, not sure how one can do it too well. Oil pressure has been a bit high, but it seems to run better that way. Figured it was the timing chain working well due to the higher pressure and the Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer.

Works like charm now, good and smooth drive.

Thanks much to all who posted and read!
--