spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Zoomer30

join:2003-05-01
Mason City, IA

Looking at a Motorola combo modem/Router. Any opinions?

Motorola SURFboard Gateway SBG6580 DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless Cable Modem

Looking to "refresh" me gear, I have an old Moto Surfboard that is about 6-7 years old and a router abouter the same age (N Draft, so probably slow by todays standards)

Its DOCSIS 3.0, which may be overkill for me since I only have the "basic" 11 Mbps Mediacom connection.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:103

That modem should work well for you. I am not showing any firmware updates needed at the moment and since we are doing channel bonding on all tiers of service it should help solidify your service if/when D3 is available in your area. If you have any issues with it let us know and we can try to help. As always though, when you purchase a modem we can not guarantee support for that product. At times we are at the mercy of the manufacturer for firmware updates and such.
--
MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
»mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport/

mike1965
Geek4rent

join:2002-09-23
Marion, IL
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Zoomer30

I would never buy a combo.....always better to have separate units......leave you more options in unpgrading down the road.......if router is working fine...and you have no other reason to upgrade it I would just buy a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem

just my opinion

TJFriday

join:2009-06-29
Des Moines, IA

^ This. x 100

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

said by TJFriday:

^ This. x 100

2x that!!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Zoomer30

Mason City, IA
reply to Zoomer30

Thanks for the info. I can see both points. One is you only have one thing so you save an outlet, and really ANYTHING would be better than what I have now (standard surfboard and Draft N router) My router does have giga-ports however.

Zoomer30

Mason City, IA
reply to Zoomer30

The way I see it if things are consolodated, it should work better (mine is alright but not great, that DRAFT N thing still bugs me, cant even guess at the wifi speed and it has a nasty habit of losing the sync now and then).

The one I am looking at runs $150 at Target, perhaps someday

jpatton

join:2010-04-07
Ames, IA

1 recommendation

said by Zoomer30:

The way I see it if things are consolodated, it should work better

For most computer stuff, I would say the opposite is true! It's easier to figure out what's wrong when things aren't consolidated and easier to swap out whatever is causing the problem. Moreover, as good as Motorola is at manufacturing modems, Linksys/Buffalo/etc. are good at manufacturing wireless routers. (It's for similar reasons that I prefer, at home, to build my own desktop computers rather than buy them pre-built.)

But, of course, I can't argue against the convenience of having one device to do both!