All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
GrandMstrBud
join:2005-05-25
Davenport, IA

GrandMstrBud

Re: [IA] Mediacom shut me off

I'm not talking about switching to DSL to download anything I'm doing it because I can and because if they want to shut off a customer of 12 years for some bogus crap that's their loss. I myself am not getting DSL I'm just going to switch some business accounts out to DSL just because they pissed me off. I myself wasn't downloading anything but they don't care so neither do I and it's their loss. There's plenty of open WiFi in my area so I can use that or use a data card. The ones in my household are the ones SOL and they can figure out on their own how to get internet, damn teenagers.

lhollow
join:2010-12-02
IL

lhollow

said by GrandMstrBud:

There's plenty of open WiFi in my area so I can use that or use a data card. The ones in my household are the ones SOL and they can figure out on their own how to get internet, damn teenagers.

If they don't change their behavior, they will follow your lead, connect to your neighbors' WIFI, and get them shut off too.
GrandMstrBud
Davenport, IA

GrandMstrBud

Yeah they could but you can only do so much especially when friends come over and they seen open networks. But for me one less bill to worry about a month is how I'll look at it. I get 8mb down and 2mb up on a data connection so for me it doesn't matter and it's locked down from all the kids. I just need my laptop and netflix in all reality for myself.

ZC_217
join:2010-02-07
Des Moines, IA

ZC_217 to GrandMstrBud

to GrandMstrBud
said by GrandMstrBud:

There's plenty of open WiFi in my area so I can use that

So you're going from one crime/offense to another one. Since it is illegal to connect to another WiFi network without permission.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le ··· d_States
GrandMstrBud
Davenport, IA

GrandMstrBud

Since when is it illegal to connect to it if they leave it wide open? What's the point of locking your WiFi network then if it's illegal? It's not that hard to clone a MAC address but if your not smart enough to lock down your WiFi then that's your problem

ZC_217
join:2010-02-07
Des Moines, IA

ZC_217

Perhaps you need to educate yourself with the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act that does say that connecting to open wifi without permission is illegal. On top of that, gaining access by spoofing a MAC address is illegal too.

IOWA
§ 716A.1 Definitions
§ 716A.2 Unauthorized access
§ 716A.3 Computer damage defined
§ 716A.4 Computer damage in the first degree
§ 716A.5 Computer damage in the second degree
§ 716A.6 Computer damage in the third degree
§ 716A.7 Computer damage in the fourth degree
§ 716A.8 Computer damage in the fifth degree
§ 716A.9 Computer theft defined
§ 716A.10 Computer theft in the first degree
§ 716A.11 Computer theft in the second degree