Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Shoot

join:2010-01-31
Castleton, ON
reply to xnetdealer

Re: still WISP or highspeed available in Flamborough

But would you rather get 40kbps than 1.98Mbps? Me either.

Then price this shit according to 1.98Mbps and stop charging people like your service is actually what you advertise because it is not. Just overpriced, overrated, oversold, underwhelming crap.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to bpFlamb
40 Kbps with 150ms of latency, or 1980 Kbps with 750ms of latency?

If I were stuck in a rural area, I'd take both, and use each for whichever was most appropriate. Latency sensitive things like games over the dialup, bulk data transfers over the satellite.

While I did outline some ideas for merging the two into one effective connection dynamically, a simpler approach is just to route different outbound ports through different connections. You can do that with iptables on your router without any remote server.

Basically, an outbound connection on port 27015 UDP should go through the dialup, since that's Half-Life, and twitch gaming. But an outbound connection on port 80 is browsing, that should go out over the satellite.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

xnetdealer

join:2012-07-20
said by Guspaz:

40 Kbps with 150ms of latency, or 1980 Kbps with 750ms of latency?

If I were stuck in a rural area, I'd take both, and use each for whichever was most appropriate. Latency sensitive things like games over the dialup, bulk data transfers over the satellite.

While I did outline some ideas for merging the two into one effective connection dynamically, a simpler approach is just to route different outbound ports through different connections. You can do that with iptables on your router without any remote server.

Basically, an outbound connection on port 27015 UDP should go through the dialup, since that's Half-Life, and twitch gaming. But an outbound connection on port 80 is browsing, that should go out over the satellite.

Seems reasonable, for an expert! But can you even connect a dialup connection to a typical router?? (not saying you can't, I genuinely have no idea).

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to bpFlamb
I was assuming a computer for the router in that scenario, but you could probably do this with OpenWRT and a USB dialup hardware modem on a router that has USB ports.

Personally, if I was stuck living in a rural area, I'd maintain a full-blown PC router (something I don't bother with now) to handle all this, as well as to run a squid proxy or something to cache more stuff. Maybe act as a SPDY gateway or do some other sort of HTTP pipelining to reduce the effects of satellite latency.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

the cerberus

join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

4 edits
reply to xnetdealer
said by xnetdealer:

Re: your buddy with Xplornet... which Xplornet network is it?

New, just installed a few weeks ago. Like I said before, its a physical latency problem, it takes too long to go to space and back. the bandwidth is less important to me.

said by xnetdealer:

Yes, of course an 800ms ping gets an F compared to urban services. But would you rather get 40kbps than 1.98Mbps? Me either.

Yes i'd rather have 40kbps 150ms ping than 1.98mbps with 800ms for lots of reasons. Mainly gaming, voip and other time sensitive applications (encrypted streams that wont work if theres too much latency/jitter as the key change is too quick).

Speedtest will even give a 100mbps connection an F if the latency is 800ms.....

Having said all this, I'd pick a local WISP if one is available, as the ping will likely be similar to dial up ~150-200ms and benefit from the added bandwidth.

said by Guspaz:

EDIT: there is not much point in doing VoIP over dialup, though. In order to do it, you would need a telephone line anyhow, at which point you might as well just get a cheaper long distance provider, which gets you most of the cost savings that VoIP would anyhow.

Well, if you dont want to disconnect the internet to use your phone line, VoIP can be a good option over dialup.
Sometimes you want to use the internet while someone else is on the phone.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
reply to bpFlamb
Where in flamborough?

Get me a grain leg over 110 feet Ill get a signal to it.
See my sig!
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

scorpido
Premium
join:2009-11-02
New Hamburg, ON
kudos:1
Not really any over in that area..lol Or I would already be there :P

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
reply to xnetdealer
said by xnetdealer:

Seems reasonable, for an expert! But can you even connect a dialup connection to a typical router?? (not saying you can't, I genuinely have no idea).

Yes you can. You could even route specific protocols through one link/technology or the other if you cared to.... but personally I'd take dialup over Satellite Service in the blink of an eye.

And when you say "xPlornet is investing"... you truly mean they are spending gobs and gobs of mostly Government money to build a sub-par infrastructure with ridiculous promises of performance and no care to actually meet those promises... but we all understand that's implied of course.

xnetdealer

said by Semaphore:

And when you say "xPlornet is investing"... you truly mean they are spending gobs and gobs of mostly Government money to build a sub-par infrastructure with ridiculous promises of performance and no care to actually meet those promises... but we all understand that's implied of course.

Sorry, but you speak of what you do not know. Yes, Xplornet has received gov't funding, to the tune of 10's of millions over the past half dozen years or so, but the latest figure I've seen in private capital funding for the company is over $800 million including the latest investments in the 2 newest high throughput satellites. Gov't money is a very small portion of the capital invested, and comes with very stringent (but realistic) technical compliance requirements and potential penalties.

Building a coast to coast network covering the lowest density populations is massively expensive. If it was easier and/or less expensive, the telco/cableco's would have already done it. And they are delivering what they promise. They just may not be delivering to your urban-biased expectation. I speak with happy customers every day (and a few unhappy ones, as does any company) and I can tell you from personal experience that both fixed wireless and satellite Internet are good technologies that meet the needs of most rural customers. But, like anything, one size does not fit all.

Semaphore
Premium
LOL - really building an ISP is expensive ? Urban biased expectations ? Sorry chum but it's YOU who speaks of what you do not know.

xnetdealer

said by Semaphore:

LOL - really building an ISP is expensive ? Urban biased expectations ? Sorry chum but it's YOU who speaks of what you do not know.

Ok. It's cheap to build high quality infrastructure to cover areas that have less than 10 households per square kilometer on a grand scale. Go do it then.

I have huge respect for many of the small wisps who build good infrastructure in areas with 10-20 housholds per sq. km., many do a great job. I've also seen too many broadcast "towers" on residential tv towers/baseball diamond light standards/etc. and using unlicensed spectrum. And once you get below a certain density, forget wireless, you'll never make yoru investment back.

If you can find an inexpensive way to build/launch/operate a satellite, let me know.

Semaphore
Premium
LOL - I would certainly never attempt such a thing without gobs of government money for sure..... otherwise I'd end up with a few thousand customers spread over thousands of square Km's of low density rural and be taking customers from your beloved xPlornet every single day by delivering the SPEED I advertise at LATENCY that's totally competitive with DSL (in my urban centric view) without EVER going to the public trough and having virtually NO debt.... nope wouldn't want to do that it sounds like it might be difficult and require a lot of work.... better I should borrow to the eyeballs to pay off existing debt and pony up the government trough as soon as someone mentions a penny of grant money.
Expand your moderator at work

scorpido
Premium
New Hamburg, ON
reply to Semaphore

Re: still WISP or highspeed available in Flamborough

So just wondering who pays for the barn that burnt down because of faulty electrical by xplornet? Lol

xnetdealer

I'm not aware of that situation or rumour so I won't speak to it, but you sure seem to enjoy slagging others.

I find it much more productive to talk about the strengths of the products/companies I represent.

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium
join:2003-12-24
Brantford, ON
kudos:3
said by xnetdealer:

I'm not aware of that situation or rumour so I won't speak to it, but you sure seem to enjoy slagging others.

I find it much more productive to talk about the strengths of the products/companies I represent.

The problem is that xplornet has zero strengths. They are a complete joke and provide subpar and substandard service so that they can maximize profits.
--
Broadline Networks Inc.

scorpido
Premium
New Hamburg, ON
Click for full size
Click for full size
Thanks xplornet

xnetdealer

said by scorpido:

Thanks xplornet

Is this what you're talking about? »www.therecord.com/news/local/art···r-elmira

scorpido
Premium
New Hamburg, ON
What I heard was that lighting struck the xplornet tower and the tower was not grounded properly. There was an actual xplornet truck that came out of the woodwork to investigate. The firemarshal and the police were talking to him. I have a bunch of fire fighters who responded on service so I'm in the loop. In one of them called me to let me know my tower was being turned off to which I replied thanks for the heads up but that isn't my tower so unplug it all you want.

xnetdealer

Of course an Xplornet truck would come - their tower was affected.

I have no idea what happened, first I heard about it was your post. But I'd be careful about making serious accusations when the investigation has barely started from the looks of it.

I'm going to sign off from this thread. I feel bad that it's gone so far off track from the OP's post.

scorpido
Premium
New Hamburg, ON
Well just shows how much people dislike xplornet. Why don't you start a wisp? I mean it is funny that when xplornet moves into a location were a current wisp is that the current local wisp does not even classify that as competition. Either way to the OP suggestion is stay as far away from xnet as you can and call either netflash or megawire

xnetdealer

Ugh. I want to stay away from this, I really really do. Not competition? Really? With over 150,000 customers, not competition??

scorpido
Premium
New Hamburg, ON
You only have that many from buying out other wisps with the government grant money you get. If you didn't have grants you would be just like all other wisps. Most of those customers were forced to go with xplornet like when you bought out Everest. Your didn't earn these customers you bought them with our tax dollars. When a local wisp starts up 80 percent jump from xplornet and are so thankful that a real caring local provider has arrived

xnetdealer

Wrong. Period. End.

funny_one
Previously known as 'Deadpool'

join:2010-11-01
reply to scorpido
said by scorpido:

You only have that many from buying out other wisps with the government grant money you get. If you didn't have grants you would be just like all other wisps. Most of those customers were forced to go with xplornet like when you bought out Everest. Your didn't earn these customers you bought them with our tax dollars. When a local wisp starts up 80 percent jump from xplornet and are so thankful that a real caring local provider has arrived

That's like saying Bell only exists because of gov't funding! LOL

Ah, the uneducated relying on rumours and second-hand info...hilarious!

scorpido
Premium
New Hamburg, ON
I never said that they wouldn't exist I just said they word be just as big as any either wisp.

funny_one

said by scorpido:

I never said that they wouldn't exist I just said they word be just as big as any either wisp.

Not true, considering the (almost) $1B in PRIVATE funding they've received over the last few years.

I don't see any other WISP's getting that kind of funding...

Do you actually believe the Gov't has given Xplornet enough money to pay for two new sattelite's, which probably cost about $250M each?

The EORN project alone is probably only worth $100M - IN TOTAL - and that's for the entire project end-to-end (last mile, backhaul, etc...).

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to funny_one
said by funny_one:

said by scorpido:

That sure was the case with Fed money and Provincial money in certain area's of Canada. For example, PEI and Bruce Country.

funny_one

said by hm :

said by funny_one:

said by scorpido:

That sure was the case with Fed money and Provincial money in certain area's of Canada. For example, PEI and Bruce Country.

If I recall the press-releases, those projects are only 50% funded by the Fed and Province. The other 50% is fronted by Xplornet.

And those are project costs only.

Xplornet still has to spend money above that on marketing, support, employees, etc...

hmm

@videotron.ca
I wonder what these small wisps can do with 30-million dollars handed to them with no need to pay it back?

Hmm....

I wonder if they would throttle, charge usage after a gig or two, require contracts, and say 900-gigasecond ping is normal?

Things that make you go Hmm....