join:2007-12-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Channels being removed from Premier and Extreme HD on 7/23

Click for full size

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

I just got the same letter. Two more channels bite the dust from my Extreme package!

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to chewypgh

First question, is "Premiere" the new name for Ultimate?

Also with my ExtremeHD we do not even get the channel MNET.

matcarl
Premium
Franklin Square, NY

said by bohratom:

First question, is "Premiere" the new name for Ultimate?

Also with my ExtremeHD we do not even get the channel MNET.

Mnet replaced Soundtrack Channel a few months ago, it's some asian music channel which I never watch anyway, but still it's all being taken away. Premiere was an old package.
Expand your moderator at work

razambon

join:2000-09-18
Laurel, MD
reply to matcarl

Re: Channels being removed from Premier and Extreme HD on 7/23

Glad they are streamlining my package by removing channels...

Interesting they aren't streamlining my billing by removing dollars from it at the same time though.

Acct101
Premium
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA

You gotta love it. They keep taking and our bills keep going up. Where can I extend my contract? THis is wonderful.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

said by Acct101:

You gotta love it. They keep taking and our bills keep going up. Where can I extend my contract? THis is wonderful.

My bill went down a few months ago when I signed up for another two year term. I'm paying the lowest amount each month than I have during the last five years with FiOS/Verizon for my four services with them. And I'm getting more for less money too. Of course when the contract is up I'll probably have sticker shock.

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

said by aaronwt:

said by Acct101:

My bill went down a few months ago when I signed up for another two year term. I'm paying the lowest amount each month than I have during the last five years with FiOS/Verizon for my four services with them. And I'm getting more for less money too. Of course when the contract is up I'll probably have sticker shock.

I changed to digital voice a couple of months ago. Just noticed that they extended my two year contract. I didn't know that would happen. I had the triple bundle, still do, same price but they extended the time. No incentive, no letter, not even a kiss.

bsangs

join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ
kudos:1
reply to chewypgh

Sorry, but there might be what, two people out there that watch these channels? Buh bye. Nothing to see here.

Teasip

join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX
reply to aaronwt

I'm also paying less by going bare minimum, Prime and 15/5. I don't believe that I've missed a thing.

FiosTV1080I

join:2010-09-06
united state
reply to chewypgh

They should add new hd instead taking away stuff and yet they will increase each std box 2 bucks a piece

Bytezboy

join:2001-05-17
New York, NY
reply to chewypgh

Nice way to complement the price increase in their wireless services.
--
35/35 Fios, Triple Play Extreme.

chitchatjf

join:2008-07-13
Lawrence, MA
reply to chewypgh

dosen't bother me
I have Ultimate

anonanon

@verizon.net
reply to chewypgh

It probably has more to do with negotiations with the content providers of these channels. I doubt Verizon took them away for no reason whatsoever. Probably if they stayed in Extreme it would cut into the profit margins of the Extreme HD package perhaps due to a slight increase in price the provider was asking for. Due to the low viewership of these channels, they probably figured they can cut it out of Extreme/Premier, nobody would miss it, and they actually increase profit margin on the Extreme/Premier package because now they don't have to pay those two networks their cut of each Extreme/Premier subscriber.

texastown

join:2008-04-25
Plano, TX

Verizon didn't take them away for no reason. All their moves are to increase their profits. Of course that's capitalism, but in the context of capitalism we are supposed to have competition built into the equation. And these days, all the providers match their deals and prices to each other, therefore there is no competition. Just monopolies.

So it's just a utility without any constraints charging what they want. If we don't like it, go somewhere else? really, where?

You have to be a Verizon employee to say what you did.

knarf829

join:2007-06-02

said by texastown:

And these days, all the providers match their deals and prices to each other, therefore there is no competition. Just monopolies.

Or, the costs to provide the services are similar so the charge to the customer is similar.

I'm sure if you go from diner to diner in your area, the price of a plate of eggs also matches closely. Same if you go from mechanic to mechanic looking to get your brakes fixed. Are the diners and auto repair shops in cahoots, too?

said by texastown:

You have to be a Verizon employee to say what you did.

texastown

join:2008-04-25
Plano, TX

1 edit

You are wrong about other businesses and their pricing. Where I live there is plenty of competition in grocery pricing, restaurant pricing, electronics pricing, you name it, if you shop a little you can find various prices for most all items.

Where the pricing is set is in utilities, and those are regulated by government agencies at least trying to keep some costs down. Cable companies are utilities, they should be regulated and not allowed to do anything they want to their customers without any particular reason than they want more money. Not added value or content, just more cash. Services without competition do what we see here.

knarf829

said by texastown:

You are wrong about other businesses and their pricing. Where I love there is plenty of competition in grocery pricing, restaurant pricing, electronics pricing, you name it, if you shop a little you can find various prices for most all items.

Where the pricing is set is in utilities, and those are regulated by government agencies at least trying to keep some costs down. Cable companies are utilities, they should be regulated and not allowed to do anything they want to their customers without any particular reason than they want more money. Not added value or content, just more cash. Services without competition do what we see here.

Nope, no price benefit to anyone for shopping around for TV service. None at all.

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

I beg to differ. I saved money when I switched from cable to DirecTV and saved money again four years later when I switched from DirecTV to Verizon. We'll see who is offering what in two years, but after nine months I am well satisfied with FiOS TV.

knarf829

'Twas sarcasm...obvious if you read the linked post.

matcarl
Premium
Franklin Square, NY

These two channels are only avaialbale in Ultimate now. I just realized that the letter that Verizon sent in the mail and on the STB has Mnet listed on channel 226, but it's really on 229. They couldn't even get the channel position right in the messages, lol.

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC
reply to chewypgh

Interesting that if one agrees a contract with V FIOS that means one agrees to a price ONLY as FIOS can deduct channels from the contracted tier? How is this? Has there been a legal challenge to this? Surely it means there is no contract in either direction.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2

The contract states all channels may not be available at all times (or something like that). So, that is how they can remove them.....

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC

Then legally there is no "contract", IMHO. For there to be a legal "contract" BOTH parties must agree to a level of performance. i.e the customer to pay an agreed amount, on time and the supplier agrees to a privide a specific level of "service". If Verizon denies the level of service in the fine print then the contract is not "real".

Andy from CA
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA
reply to matcarl

said by matcarl:

These two channels are only avaialbale in Ultimate now. I just realized that the letter that Verizon sent in the mail and on the STB has Mnet listed on channel 226, but it's really on 229. They couldn't even get the channel position right in the messages, lol.

I have Extreme but I'm still getting both channels in SoCal.

joe01880

join:2007-10-26
Wakefield, MA

1 recommendation

reply to texastown

said by texastown:

You are wrong about other businesses and their pricing. Where I live there is plenty of competition in grocery pricing, restaurant pricing, electronics pricing, you name it, if you shop a little you can find various prices for most all items.

FiOS is a utility? TV, Intenet, even phone service is comparable to electricity, gas and water service?

I kinda of thought it was a luxury service.

crgauth

join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to IanR

They can (and have) added channels as well. May not be ones you want, but they have done so. Should they be able to charge us more when they do?