spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

activoice

join:2008-02-10
York, ON

[Homephone] Bell raised residential rates again (June 2012)

Ok Bell is getting out of control.

I just checked my June bill... Bell raised residential rates by $2.77 again... crazy bastards..

That's 2 increases of $2.77 in 6 months... the only reason I really keep my residential number is because I've had it for over 20 years, and without a residential line I'd have to switch over to dry dsl and probably lose my Grandfathered unlimited plan...

And unfortunately Teksavvy cable has a stop sell in my area...

grunze510

join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
kudos:1
TekSavvy offers resold Bell Home Phone service, but unfortunately that has a stop sell as well. The phone stop sell will probably be over before the cable internet one.

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to activoice
said by activoice:

I just checked my June bill... Bell raised residential rates by $2.77 again... crazy bastards..

That's 2 increases of $2.77 in 6 months... the only reason I really keep my residential number is because I've had it for over 20 years, and without a residential line I'd have to switch over to dry dsl and probably lose my Grandfathered unlimited plan...

And unfortunately Teksavvy cable has a stop sell in my area...

Not true, if you're willing to go VoIP, I ported my number to Voip.ms in November of last year and Bell put my grandfathered unlimited DSL on dryloop automatically.

NefCanuck

mand

join:2011-08-13
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to activoice
said by activoice:

the only reason I really keep my residential number is because I've had it for over 20 years, and without a residential line I'd have to switch over to dry dsl and probably lose my Grandfathered unlimited plan...

Hi,

What are the advantages of this "Grandfathered unlimited plan" ?
--
man-d

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
said by mand:

It's old ADSL 6Mb/800Kb but it is the only way to get truly unlimited internet from Bell. However from recent biannual price increases it's about $80/month including taxes now.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to NefCanuck
said by NefCanuck:

Not true, if you're willing to go VoIP, I ported my number to Voip.ms in November of last year and Bell put my grandfathered unlimited DSL on dryloop automatically.

NefCanuck

Just a word of warning - there's a big difference between "on dry loop automatically" and "Bell forgot to disconnect the DSLAM port when the phone number was ported out".

I've seen more than one person up and lose DSL sync when Bell got around to re-using their DSLAM port for another customer because they thought it was un-assigned. Could happen next week - could happen in 2 years.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
reply to decx
said by decx:

said by mand:

It's old ADSL 6Mb/800Kb but it is the only way to get truly unlimited internet from Bell. However from recent biannual price increases it's about $80/month including taxes now.

And has not been offered for several years. I'm on it and pay $80.11 a month.
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

mand

Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
said by mr weather:

said by decx:

said by mand:

And has not been offered for several years. I'm on it and pay $80.11 a month.

Ok, thank you. As I understand the op has BIG DSL bandwith usage and he really can't lower that usage ? How much bandwith you need ?

What is your home phone service plan and your usage ? How much $ ? International calls or only local ? etc.
--
man-d

sm5w2
Premium
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON
reply to activoice
Legacy sympatico HSE is currently $80.11 (total cost after all taxes). It's been this way since November 2011. Prior to that, the total cost was $73.33.

Current breakdown:
1 Modem Lease 4.95
1 Bell High Speed Internet Service 70.95
Less Bell High Speed Internet Service - Discount 5.00cr
Total Monthly Charges (before taxes) 70.90
Taxes 9.21

Previous breakdown:
Monthly Services (Oct 04 to Nov 03)
1 Modem Lease 3.95
1 Bell High Speed Internet Service 63.95
Less Bell High Speed Internet Service - Discount 3.00cr
Total Monthly Charges (before taxes) 64.90
Taxes 8.43

Average monthly use is about 150 gb. No caps, no overage charges.

I have a 7-meg service (7040 / 800 sync rate) - been that way for maybe 2 years now. I don't believe I can get anything faster (on dsl) based on the bell infrastructure serving my area (London - Westmount/Berkshire area served out of 744 Wonderland rd).

activoice

York, ON
reply to mand
My average usage in the last 3 months is 400gb, so if I were to leave Bell I would need to go with one of the unlimited offerings. I also work from home regularly, so I don't feel that I can trust that to a VOIP service, so I prefer to use a traditional land line.

Ideally I would like to try out Teksavvy's Cable 18 Unlimited, see how I like that and if it works well then cancel out the unlimited plan I've got with Bell... and because it's cable I can have both running concurrently.

Unfortunately there has been a stop sell on Teksavvy Cable out of the Scarlett Rd POI for a while now... waiting for an upgrade I guess..

decranez

join:2010-08-22
Gatineau, Qc
Reviews:
·gemstelecom
reply to activoice
I was tired of Bell increasing their rates too and was decided to switch.

Some Bell rep called one evening trying to sell me some other services (I only have my phone left with Bell). I said I was not interested in any other services with them, and was planning on switching away from Bell too for my phone. Bell rep said she could not offer me anything, but I should call customer loyalty the next day and they might do something for me. So I called, asked for customer loyalty department (or whatever name they use), told my story and got a 12$/month credit on my phone bill for a year. So I will stay for now.

Also, I don't understand why you are attached to an unlimited DSL connection costing you 80$ per month. Several other providers offer unlimited DSL for about half that price.

mand

Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to activoice
said by activoice:

My average usage in the last 3 months is 400gb, so if I were to leave Bell I would need to go with one of the unlimited offerings.

My first action was to call Bell with very clear target and of course knowing what other ISP offer. Bell don't want to loose customers but they can't give you all. Try and then you will know. It's easier to make decisions when you know.

said by activoice:

I also work from home regularly, so I don't feel that I can trust that to a VOIP service, so I prefer to use a traditional land line.

For me voip works very well but we don't have the same internet and phone user profile. And we don't live in the same area.

said by activoice:

Ideally I would like to try out Teksavvy's Cable 18 Unlimited, see how I like that and if it works well then cancel out the unlimited plan I've got with Bell... and because it's cable I can have both running concurrently.

That is great for testing the service but will have it's price too.

said by activoice:

Unfortunately there has been a stop sell on Teksavvy Cable out of the Scarlett Rd POI for a while now... waiting for an upgrade I guess..

Here's the Bell forum maybe would you read the canadian broadband forum at dslreports ?

Hope it helps a little.
Good luck.
--
man-d

yyzlhr

@rogers.com
Does this price increase affect everyone? I'm in Toronto and didn't see any notices on my June bill. If it goes up again, the pricing will put it on par with many other competitors, thus making it very attractive to switch. The only reason, I've stayed with Bell for so long is because I'm on an old home phone plan that is cheaper then most POTS resellers and competitors in my area.

camelot

join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to activoice
Wow you're getting hosed...

Unlimited 6MB/800K from Teksavvy is $46/month.

If you contact TekSavvy, they'll figure out the change overs for you, as well as porting.

Many have done it in the past.

I love unlimited, however it's not worth $86 a month (and counting) from Bell.

PRIUS

join:2009-09-17
Toronto, ON
reply to activoice
The new prices that took effect June 3, 2012 is for Home Phone Services not in a Home Phone package. Home Phone packages (including Lite, Basic, Choice and Complete are not affected; in other words, no price increase).

»www.bell.ca/Residential_services···_updates

activoice

York, ON
Right but if you are NOT in a home phone package then you will see an increase, and looking at that chart the increase varies widely... (from .69 to $3.04)

I fell into the $2.77 increase, as I was previously getting billed 21.79 for the residential line, .17 for 911, and $2.80 for touch tone service, (how the heck is touch tone service still considered a feature)

PRIUS

Toronto, ON
Bell has a fashion of telling customers that the Touch-tone fee is mandated by the CRTC. The CRTC never mandated that Bell charge customers Touch-Tone fee. The Touch-Tone fee is a voluntary fee that Bell charges customers; a cash grab.

Bell got caught in a lie on CBC Market Place April 6, 2012 when Bell told CBC that the Touch-Tone fee is mandated by the CRTC. After indepth investigation, the CBC reported back that the CRTC DOES NOT require Bell to charge for Touch-Tone. See the video below; as well, Bell's response: Touch-Tone Busted.

To answer your question, Touch-Tone IS NOT a feature. It's a cash grab from Bell.

»www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2012/busted/

»www.cbc.ca/marketplace/includes/···ment.pdf

yyzlhr

@rogers.com
reply to PRIUS
said by PRIUS:

The new prices that took effect June 3, 2012 is for Home Phone Services not in a Home Phone package. Home Phone packages (including Lite, Basic, Choice and Complete are not affected; in other words, no price increase).

Thanks for your link, but what exactly are they referring to when they say home phone service not in a home phone package? I signed up with Bell ages ago and have not made any changes so I have no idea what they're talking about.

Also, I'm paying 21.79 for my home phone right now and it says it will go up to $24.56 as of June 3rd, but on my latest bill I've been billed up until Jun 24 at the $21.79 rate. I also don't recall receiving any notice regarding this price change. Are they going to backcharge me on my next invoice?

PRIUS

Toronto, ON

2 edits
Click for full size
said by yyzlhr :

said by PRIUS:

Thanks for your link, but what exactly are they referring to when they say home phone service not in a home phone package?

P.O.T.S (Plain Old Telephone Service) Line. Bell still offers P.O.T.S. telephone service to new and existing customers, as indicated in the 'Full Offer Details' at the bottom of the page (See attached).

So, for example, John Doe is a Bell Customer to Home Phone Basic offering two calling features and wishes to downgrade to a P.O.T.S. line. According to the 'Full Offer Details' (disclaimer notice) on Bell's website, P.O.T.S. is available to NEW and EXISTING CUSTOMERS.

As well, Bell cannot raise the price on a regulated line without the approval from the CRTC. On a deregulated line, Bell can raise the prices anytime the company wishes to do so (Home Phone Packages).

zong
Premium
join:2005-07-21
Scarborough, ON
Mine finally went up $2.77.

Does anyone know what month the notice of increase was supposed to be in?

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to PRIUS
said by PRIUS:

Bell got caught in a lie on CBC Market Place April 6, 2012 when Bell told CBC that the Touch-Tone fee is mandated by the CRTC. After indepth investigation, the CBC reported back that the CRTC DOES NOT require Bell to charge for Touch-Tone. See the video below; as well, Bell's response: Touch-Tone Busted

Sortof. It is a fee that Bell asked for permission from the CRTC to charge when Touch Tone was introduced. The fee is part of an approved tariff.

Bell has simply never ASKED the CRTC to rescind the tariff item, and NOT charging it to someone would be against the tariff.

Bell is free to apply to the CRTC to remove the touch tone fee as an approved tariffed service, but why would they? Until then, they have to charge it to everyone, otherwise they're violating tariff.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
Wasn't the touch tone fee supposed to cover the cost of the new equipment to support it way back when? That ship has LONG sailed as all switches are digital for how many years now, 15, 20?

Shouldn't the public be able to call out Bell on this bullshit and bring it in front of the CRTC?

This is profiteering at its finest.
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

RMerlin

join:2009-10-09
Montreal, QC
said by HiVolt:

This is profiteering at its finest.

Same deal with the DSL modem rentals IMHO. DSL modems have dropped in price over the years, yet Bell recently increased the rental fee. And they also make it mandatory. My 2701 spent its time in its original box in a closet. I took it out one time as I was having a DSL outage, and I wanted to ensure it wasn't my Speedtouch the culprit (turned out it was a widely spread outage on Bell's end).