uniqs
share rss forum feed

Nazcar
Posting tag
Premium
join:2001-01-24
Topeka, KS

How to check power supply

I have a emachine d620 laptop and thinking my power supply is dieing out, maybe my mother board, does anybody know how I can find this out using a multi meter?
--
Random posting, move if needed

techguy2012

join:2012-05-17
Mundelein, IL
Just cause your multi-meter says 12 volts is coming out, doesn't prove it is capable of outputting 12v with a load connected.

I'd try another (known good) power supply, see if it works.

Radio Shack used to sell a universal laptop power supply, try it in the store to see if it works.

Nazcar
Posting tag
Premium
Topeka, KS
I actually meant the power supply inside the laptop.
--
Random posting, move if needed

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to techguy2012
said by techguy2012:

Radio Shack used to sell a universal laptop power supply, try it in the store to see if it works.

Most stores including Radio Shack will not let you open the box and try the power supply or any thing else electrical as a diagnostic for your hardware. Your hardware if defective could damage their power supply. Now you can buy it and try it, but most stores again will not let you return electrical items once opened and used.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Nazcar
Posting tag
Premium
Topeka, KS
Got it going again, it was actually a simple fix, a stick of ram fell out of its holster. 2 Gigs now, running pretty good now.