All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
kira023
join:2008-08-31
Prospect, CT

kira023

Re: dsl drop connection - CT

in the past 2 years, i've been through about 4-5 different modems. ATT usually blame the modem and use that as the fix. They had me buy/replace the damn things so often now, i can't believe that is the problem.
same thing with filters...bought/replace it so many times now, i can't believe filters can failed so often.

dmxrob
Premium Member
join:2005-06-24
Saint Peters, MO
·Charter
·StarLink
·Suddenlink

dmxrob

Premium Member

Join the crowd. Two years with the same behavior here; I have no less than 5 AT&T modems. Everytime I call in to support they say my line "looks fantastic" and when the techs come they just shrug and say "Looks good to us" and leave.

I'll go from a 12mb connection to a less than 3mb connection at times. Other times I'll pick the phone up to make a phone call and my SNR drops to -3.-5.

It's a headache - but AT&T is the only game in town :-(

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to kira023

MVM

to kira023
said by kira023:

in the past 2 years, i've been through about 4-5 different modems. ATT usually blame the modem and use that as the fix. They had me buy/replace the damn things so often now, i can't believe that is the problem.
same thing with filters...bought/replace it so many times now, i can't believe filters can failed so often.

They don't, and they most likely didn't...

I had AT&T dsl for over 10 years and never had a filter fail...the first modem that I had, still works to this day, although they have had a dud modem/gateway model or two.

It is entirely possible that you have issues either somewhere through the line, or at the CO itself.

A couple of years ago I had similar sounding issues to what you have (after having years of rock-solid connectivity). Even when a tech came out they tried to sell me that there was "great signal" and no problems on their end.

After basically telling them that it just was not so, and that I would need to explore a better alternative, lo and behold they escalated the case and discovered a bad connection at the CO was to blame...fixed it and had no further problems (though I've since gone to cable).
kira023
join:2008-08-31
Prospect, CT

kira023

how did you get them to escalate to the next tier? I've had many techs come out through out the past two years now and nothing really get done. The last tech that came out was very helpful and he actually did noticed the error i was getting in the line but he wasn't sure of the cause. He told me to call it in again if it still happen after he left but i'm afraid that when i called it will go nowhere again.
ClearFir
join:2012-04-09
Branford, CT

ClearFir to PeteC2

to PeteC2
I seem to be in the same kind of state. AT&T support says the line is fine, and I've replaced my modem, but something still isn't right. Perhaps what is needed these days is a third party advocate to handle dealing with your ISP and getting results.
OFBulldog
join:2009-12-15
Phoenix, AZ

1 recommendation

OFBulldog

Have you tried connecting your modem directly to the NID and seeing if your rate falls? If it doesn't then you have an issue with your inside wiring. The fix would be to do what is called a 'home run' directly to the jack you want to use for your connection. If your home is older, the custom was to wire the jacks in a loop. A home run connects directly from the NID to the jack. It took care of my issues.
ClearFir
join:2012-04-09
Branford, CT

ClearFir

In my case, an AT&T repair person came out and changed the setup so as to 1) put on a whole house filter, saying I no longer needed filters at each jack and 2) connect the DSL to just one phone jack in the house. My house was done in 2001 and I believe each phone jack (and cable outlet for that matter) is a home run.

It's hard to find the smoking gun for what's the matter.
1) my router which worked fine for >3 yrs can't reliably hold a PPPoE connection anymore, but my main computer mostly can. (replacing router and modem show them not to be the problem)
2) Crummy speed tests here in the Tools section.
3) The new modem showed stat's that didn't look terrible in terms of SN ratio and the likes except it does say I'm set to Interleaved not Fast Path. (I've bridged it now, so I'm not seeing those stat's at the moment)

I haven't yet tried the AT&T direct support forum here. I too am interested in how you get "escalated" service or support.