Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Fed Up

join:2007-02-19
m4m2v
kudos:2

[Cable] DCM476 Logger - Track Your Cable Modem Signal Levels, Et

After a few disconnects and realizing how crappy the built in interface of the DCM476 is, I created this excel file which uses web queries to pull data from the modem diagnostic pages to essentially capture the data of the modem every minute.

downloadDCM476 Logger.xls 466433 bytes
(DCM476 Logger.xls.zip)

While not guaranteed to always work perfectly it has been gathering my stats for almost 24 hrs with one short reset at 6:10 am where the cable signal reconnected. I made a change to the queries that hopefully prevents it from having the $REF that happened between 6:10 and 6:23 AM June 15th. When deleting rows, delete from bottom up and never delete above row 9.

Hope this helps others and ISP troubleshoot because ISP's always ask for your signal level but your never there to capture it when there is a failure. At least this would have a one minute interval record.

Feel free to improve or adapt for other modems. Not sure if it will work with the DCM475 or with other firmware versions.

It was built to interface with a DCM476 using:

Status Code: Operational
Software Version: STAC.02.31
Software Model: a81a
Bootloader: 2.3.1

Babuloseo

join:2010-03-13
Brampton, ON

Re: [Cable] DCM476 Logger - Track Your Cable Modem Signal Levels

tested.. and itworks on DCM475.. btw whats so good about the DCM476 anyway?

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to Fed Up

Pretty cool. I wonder if you could make that for the SB6120/SB6121 series?

What info would you need?

Fed Up

m4m2v

1 edit
reply to Babuloseo

said by Babuloseo:

tested.. and itworks on DCM475.. btw whats so good about the DCM476 anyway?

Not the event logging or diagnostics thats for sure.

Fed Up

m4m2v
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Pretty cool. I wonder if you could make that for the SB6120/SB6121 series?

What info would you need?

The basics are simple if the diagnostic pages can be queried than it can be pulled into excel. If you right click over one of the data ranges on the 1st sheet and edit query you can change the web address to the diagnostic page for the SB61XX. Select the tables to import and the rest is just cell links on the 2nd sheet and macros that copy and paste a range of cells. Alt-F11 will bring up the macros to edit and it would only be a matter of mapping the information into the top row of the second sheet and adjusting titles, and finally the range to copy. It would not be hard to develop but someone with a SB6120/SB6121 would have to take it on.

I said to myself at first that I did not have time to do the file but a couple of hours later and a late night to sleep I had it working. I had previously done the night before timed screen captures every 10 seconds with "Snagit" and then put all the jpegs into an .avi file for a timelapse but it was too time consuming and did not allow direct access or filtering to the data. It was helpfull to show a spike on the downstream power to 20 dBmV for several hours before a reset. So it identified to Teksavvy that there was definitely an RF spike at least that evening.

This solution works much better.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

Cool !

More things like this are always welcome.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

1 edit
reply to Fed Up

Any idea why when attempting to import 1 table into a modified logger for the SB6120, it instead chooses the 3rd table, which wasn't even selected?

Edit: nm.. Managed to get it working a different way.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

2 edits

Edited quite a bit, and it now works for the SB6120 & SB6121. Removed a bunch of things which I just couldn't get working with the SB6120, compared to the DCM476 version.

EDIT:
Fixed 2 problems
- Removed a query I couldn't get working properly & was overlapping another
- Fixed values so Downstream Power charts properly

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

Instead of Excel, can this script thingy be recoded to use Open Office or Libre Office huh, huh?

Fed Up

m4m2v

2 edits
reply to Fed Up

Here is version 1.1.

As confirmed above, it appears to also work with the DCM475.

I added toggle buttons to show / hide individual channels and made the downstream series match colors and markers for power and SNR. (most data stripped from this copy so just a little to show the graphing)

downloadDCM476-475 L···V1.1.xls 488527 bytes
(DCM476-475 Logger V1.1.xls.zip)

A few things to note:

the filename of the actual logger cannot be changed in the one that is used for logging as the filename is used in the macros so that updating happens in the background and does not affect other open excel workbooks. If you do save off existing data with save as and change the name, than you must reopen the original logger, delete the rows you don't want to reduce the filesize (you now have them in the saved off version) and continue on with the original filename to log. Otherwise the VBA will give you an error. So far I have about three days of data and the file is ~ 10 MB.

If the logger cannot access the modem for some reason - (timing of the request, the modem is busy with something else) than the logger stops with a popup that must be acknowledged. It is rare, but requires acknowledgement to start logging again. That is the reason for the gaps in the data for most of June 18th through the workday.

There was a spike to 25 dBmv on Sunday morning at 7:51 am and low and behold a couple of hours later at 10:26 am when I am leaving there is a rogers truck in the condo parking lot. Did not see the tech to ask him why he was there or mention the spike but I would have mentioned it had I seen him. I don't think he was there when it started but don't know when he arrived - update: check security cam and he drove in at 9:24 am. Coincidence?? who knows. No dropout in time frame of the spike though.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:20
reply to Fed Up

With all the talk of modem firmware issues, this thread needs a bump.

dra6o0n

join:2011-08-15
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·ITalkBB
reply to Fed Up

We need some 'special agents' to check them out, I wonder if anyone's up for it?

If you tried mentioning it to him he'll just make an excuse...

There was some sort of Rogers technician strike in Ottawa or something a month back when I skimmed google news.

But yeah when I see rogers technicians they give off vibes like they hate their jobs.

Thunder storms here in missisauga, hope power doesn't go out.

dateke

join:2011-11-06
Kanata, ON
reply to Fed Up

Anyone have issues with the DCM476/475 file? Excel reports the files aren't in the format specified and just appear as corrupts ASCII.

Using Excel 2007.

Thanks