Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

adymax

join:2012-03-14
Rolling Meadows, IL
reply to Chuck

Re: Pixilation and freezing

I must say that I didn’t see any pixilation in the last week. Good job WOW!

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com

said by adymax:

I must say that I didn’t see any pixilation in the last week. Good job WOW!

I'm watching a lot of DVR'ed shows and it sure happens there. Two or three times and hour. Have also seen it on live TV so 10 miles west of you it is still happening.

And for WOW_Dan, my TV signal and wiring is fine. Tech confirmed it when he was out last month. He knew about the tiling and at that point said it was a Head End issue. So if it as you say that new frequencies are being used, if there's no signal issue what really is causing the tiling?

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:30

The last of the work being done to correct this issue was completed a few weeks ago. If you're still experiencing issues, there is most likely something else going on, and it could possibly be at the node level, but I do not have your information to check anything from my side. Do you use an external hard drive with your DVR by chance?

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com

said by WOW_Dan:

The last of the work being done to correct this issue was completed a few weeks ago. If you're still experiencing issues, there is most likely something else going on, and it could possibly be at the node level, but I do not have your information to check anything from my side. Do you use an external hard drive with your DVR by chance?

No external hard drive. Just the 8642 and a 4250 on another TV.

I still think they need to do more work. It seems as if there are a lot of problems that have cropped up over the last few months.

Let's not forget the aspect ratio that has been wrong on numerous local channels, the latest being SD NBC (turn it on and see how the picture is elongated). WOW refuses to believe it is their issue. I spoke to engineers at WLS (where it has happened several time though not currently) and WMAQ and they assured me it is not on their end. They said WOW should be passing along the 4x3 center cut safe picture instead of downconverting the 16x9 which is what they are doing on channel 5. FOX also changed recently. It's not elongated but it is different than it was three days ago. I wish someone at WOW would understand but it seems like they have written off the SD viewer.

It's a shame because WOW used to be so good. It seems as if all the problems started with the DTA conversion (or whatever it was called) and have snowballed since.

ericthered0

join:2010-10-08

1 edit
reply to mikmax11

same here, they are aware of the problem... no solution

ChiliBean

join:2009-02-02
Hammond, IN

Same here since 8:10PM. Losing internet and tv. Storm here.

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com

said by ChiliBean:

I was going to say that it can be expected when there are storms. Then I thought this isn't satellite TV. But doesn't WOW get their signals from satellites?

Regarding the pixelation the fact that it occurs every day (storms or not) is the real problem.

ChiliBean

Hammond, IN
reply to ChiliBean

Lost power on the whole block since 11PM. Back up at about 9AM. Have tv and internet.

ChiliBean

Hammond, IN
reply to troubleagain

said by troubleagain :

said by ChiliBean:

I was going to say that it can be expected when there are storms. Then I thought this isn't satellite TV. But doesn't WOW get their signals from satellites?

Regarding the pixelation the fact that it occurs every day (storms or not) is the real problem.

Are you from Hammind, IN? If so, the first channel that gets affected when I know there is a problem is EncoreHD 499.

adymax

Rolling Meadows, IL

It would be nice to have a “Service outages Status” page where we can go and see in what areas are outages and an estimate of restore and nature of the problem. Dan can you help us with this?

ChiliBean

Hammond, IN
reply to adymax

Just lost EncoreHD 499 at about 1PM...still down. Anyone else? Just checking if it's just me.

ChiliBean

Hammond, IN

Back up at 1:27PM.

ChiliBean

Hammond, IN
reply to adymax

EncoreHD 499 down again at 2PM.

ChiliBean

Hammond, IN

Back up at 2:25PM This is strange. The timing.

ChiliBean

Hammond, IN

Oh well. Internet and tv been going off/on since 1PM. Hope it goes away.

foamy909

join:2006-07-30
reply to adymax

Anyone else having issues with WGN HD and Fox HD (206 & 202) on a TiVo in Chicago City? I can get them without a problem on clear QAM, but it can't get a sufficient signal on the cablecards. When it does come in, the pixelation is worse the usual problems.

ChiliBean

Hammond, IN
reply to ChiliBean

The SNR on my cablemodem has be waivering from 26-35dbmV.

ChiliBean

Hammond, IN

Stabilized at 37dBmV guess it's finally over. Hope so.

@wideopenwest.com
reply to adymax

I have problems with the 2 channels I watch the most: HGTV and Food Network. Chicago City...since April. About to cancel my service and just watch episodes online. When I called, they mentioned having a tech. come out - but as others have posted here - it seems illogical that it's a wiring problem when other channels aren't affected!

ChiliBean

Hammond, IN

I started the service June 3rd switching from Comcast to WOW! but had a number of outages. It's happening again throughout today. I called and they are sending a supervisor Monday. If the supervisor fixes it then the problem comes back again, I'm going to switch back to Comcast. Last week I called Tuesday and the closest appointment was for Saturday. This tells me there are many people having problems with the service in my area. Even though I paid an extra $37 a month with Comcast at least the service RARELY dropped.

ChiliBean

Hammond, IN

1 edit
reply to adymax

Beautiful day. No clouds or wind.

Lost internet and tv service from 8:30PM-9:00PM also short times throughout the day.

Not sure if anyone experienced this in Hammond?

ChiliBean

Hammond, IN
reply to adymax

They swapped out my modem with theirs but unfortunately that didn't work. Still get intermittent service. Yesterday lost tv and internet service for about an hour between 4-5PM then it was going in and out til about 8PM when it went back to normal. This morning service is going in an out again. Switching back to Comcast. Appointment scheduled for the 31st. I had Comcast for over 10 years before switching and don't think I ever had a service call but the day I switched to Wow! on June 3rd, that night, the service was intermittent. There is definitely a problem from the pole to the station since I was lucky to have the first technician to measure a really signal low at the tap. All the other technicians after that came during the scheduled times when the service was working and changed about everything from the pole to the house. I'm sure the technicians are going to be glad to never have to come to this address anymore. LoL!

adymax

Rolling Meadows, IL

I’m experiencing pixilation on local channels lately again,, maybe all. Is it just me?

south1178
Premium
join:2001-12-17
Cleveland, OH

said by adymax:

I’m experiencing pixilation on local channels lately again,, maybe all. Is it just me?

Nope, not just you. I get it on the local channels in HD. Nothing like watching the news and only hearing half the story and seeing split screens and horrible audio. And they wonder why I don't pay for anything more than basic.

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com
reply to adymax

said by adymax:

In the same location as you I continue to experience little blips here and there. Every night on David Letterman for example. During Jeopardy. Others as well.

What is most frustrating is WOW thinks this is fixed. It clearly is not.