spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JackPearson2

@verizon.net

TV with a non-verizon box? possible?

Years ago, you'd have to rent your telephone from the phone company. Today, you can just buy your own phone & not pay a monthly rental fee for a telephone.

Can a box to get Verizon TV be purchased so as to not pay Verizon every month for the cable box? If so, what kinds are available.

Thanks.

Teasip

join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX
Yes/no. You can get Verizon TV without using one of their boxes but it would require you to purchase a TiVo device, or something similar (HTPC), to where you would have to rent a cablecard. You could also obtain their local package and if you have a QAM capable TV get your locals (and a couple of other non-encrypted channels) but that defeats the purpose of their TV package.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
reply to JackPearson2

majortom64

join:2004-09-12
Skokie, IL
reply to JackPearson2
I use my TiVo Premiere Elite with my FiOS service. I pay for a cable card. It works great.

JackPearson2

@verizon.net
how much did the cable card cost you and where did you get it from?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
Cable cards are $3.99 and only available from VZ.
»www22.verizon.com/home/fiostv/#equipment
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by More Fiber:

Cable cards are $3.99

thats $ 3.99 per month, rental only, no purchase....
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

JackPearson2

@verizon.net
so there's no way to make a 1 time purchase of a device to get fios tv?

miataman

Chelmsford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
said by JackPearson2 :

That's correct. Avoid the EBay Motorola or Cisco boxes; Verizon won't activate any box they did not provide TO YOU...
--

dcborn61

join:2001-02-14
Bethesda, MD
said by miataman:

said by JackPearson2 :

That's correct. Avoid the EBay boxes; Verizon won't activate any box they did not provide TO YOU...

Completely wrong. Verizon will activate TiVo box. They'll send you a cablecard, does not require a truck roll, can be self-installed.

miataman

Chelmsford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by dcborn61:

Completely wrong. Verizon will activate TiVo box. They'll send you a cablecard, does not require a truck roll, can be self-installed.

.. My bad, I edit to qualify as "Avoid the EBay Motorola or Cisco boxes;"
--

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17

(topic move) ONT not provisioned correctly?

Moderator Action
The post that was here, has been moved to a new topic .. »ONT not provisioned correctly?

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to JackPearson2

Re: TV with a non-verizon box? possible?

Yes, but it is not a verizon box it's an xbox 360. The only fee I have outside of the 3-play is a cablecard $3.99/mo RENTAL.

That CC plugs into a SiliconDust Prime w/ 3 recorders. That connects into a virtual machine running W7MC in the basement. The VM has 2TB, so I am good.

I have 5 TV's and 5 refurbished/used Xbox 360 slim that I paid no more than $130 for (each). However if I want to add a TV, I just plug in another Xbox, no more fees.

I also added xbox gold family to get amazon and netflix on the same box (up to 4). For the 5th TV I have an old Roku on it.

Now my Verizon "guarantee" is up in Jan 2013 (MTM), and I noticed that to keep the same extreme package and 50/25 that is going to run me $30/month more, which is negative.

The best thing about the CC is that I can throw VZ to the curb, plug in a Time Warner cable card, fix the lineup and nobody knows the difference.

I may dump the triple play altogether and just go internet and OTA for the regular channels (which that's all my wife watches anyways).

At that point, I just swap my 3CC for my old HDHR, update the channels and nobody knows.

The only thing you lose is all the ads and VOD. Big loss.

I have had this setup in place for almost 2 years, so it has already paid for itself.

I hear VZ is working on a similar IP model where CC is not needed for each box, but you get a little roku-like device for each TV, and a master DVR. The question is how will they price them. If it's $5 then maybe it's worth the lease, but if the price is the same as today maybe not.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to JackPearson2
U can get just the basic channels (locals (HD also) and afew national channels) on TV's or equipment that support QAM without a cablecard. I think basic runs like $15.99 month in Jersey.