spc
uniqs
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

asdfdfdfdfdf to rolfp

Premium Member

to rolfp

Re: EVGA GTX 470 with Corsair HX520W PSU, is ok?

"2. The crash triggers a reiserfsck and rebuild of dirty filesystem on next boot, at least the last two times I was watching."

Because the drive wasn't unmounted properly when the system crashed.

38 amps is not what the card requires. It is a suggested total for the machine the card is in but is only a padded estimate to lower the probability of problems.

Your supply specs label here, you have 40 amps or 480w on your 12v. I think you are worrying unnecessarily about this.

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 17139001

"7. It's not hard to deduce that the power supply is marginal and fails, occasionally, when cold."

I'm not sure why you come to this conclusion and I don't think it is warranted. It could be that there is something about the power up timing of particular devices on boot up but if you had a power problem the system should either be randomly unstable or become more unstable when you are stressing the cpu and graphics card. Neither seems to be the case here. If the power supply was being stressed on boot up from powering up devices and drives then I would expect the crash to happen during boot and not a long time after.

You have tested memory. My next suspect would be the fact that you have 5 drives. Are your hard drives in a raid array or just 5 separate drives? If the latter then I would disconnect the 4 drives that aren't necessary for booting and see if the system becomes stable.

Other opinions about this?

rolfp
no-shill zone
Premium Member
join:2011-03-27
Oakland, CA

rolfp

Premium Member

said by asdfdfdfdfdf:

"2. The crash triggers a reiserfsck and rebuild of dirty filesystem on next boot, at least the last two times I was watching."

Because the drive wasn't unmounted properly when the system crashed.

Right. I know about reiserfsck, a bit, and offered this as a metric of the nature of the crash, i.e. X can crash w/o leaving an unclean filesystem.

38 amps is not what the card requires. It is a suggested total for the machine the card is in but is only a padded estimate to lower the probability of problems.

Your supply specs label here, you have 40 amps or 480w on your 12v. I think you are worrying unnecessarily about this.

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 17139001

"7. It's not hard to deduce that the power supply is marginal and fails, occasionally, when cold."

I'm not sure why you come to this conclusion and I don't think it is warranted. It could be that there is something about the power up timing of particular devices on boot up but if you had a power problem the system should either be randomly unstable or become more unstable when you are stressing the cpu and graphics card. Neither seems to be the case here. If the power supply was being stressed on boot up from powering up devices and drives then I would expect the crash to happen during boot and not a long time after.

I was not trying to imply the deduction was, necessarily, an accurate one. I haven't seen a crash except soon after a cold boot and don't think I said anything about "a long time after."

I have been reading a lot of related resources that refer to the limitation of multiple rails including, possibly, over-taxing the per-rail overcurrent rating. Some might be based on inaccurate deductions but others, such as the following, seem well-reasoned:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· NTjrX8Ug

Such sorts of reasoning, taken together with the results of my system entered into the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite,

are what make me say something like, "It's not hard to deduce that the power supply is marginal and fails, occasionally, when cold."

You have tested memory. My next suspect would be the fact that you have 5 drives. Are your hard drives in a raid array or just 5 separate drives? If the latter then I would disconnect the 4 drives that aren't necessary for booting and see if the system becomes stable.

Other opinions about this?

With about 11 days between occurrences, I'm not too motivated to do multiple reboots/unplug drives.
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member

asdfdfdfdfdf

Premium Member

"With about 11 days between occurrences, I'm not too motivated to do multiple reboots/unplug drives."

I understand, intermittent problems can be tedious to troubleshoot. Unfortunately you either have to do these things or live with the problem.

"don't think I said anything about "a long time after."

What I meant was that the system has booted completely and is being used. If it was a power draw on powering up components issue then it should show up well before this during boot.

I don't know what to tell you. If you really feel sure that the power supply is the problem and want to replace it then don't let me talk you out of it. You should do what you feel comfortable doing.

rolfp
no-shill zone
Premium Member
Oakland, CA

rolfp

Premium Member

Still mulling. Thanks for your advice.
rolfp

rolfp

Premium Member

Update: After about an hour of down time, boot up crashed to reboot from the login screen this a.m.

Yesterday, after considering the TDP of the 470 gtx, maybe 220W, compared to something like 50W for the 9500 gt it replaced, and that I can't find a significant benefit to running the 470 when I don't play games, I bought a gt 440 (56-81W).
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member

asdfdfdfdfdf

Premium Member

You mean it is behaving the same way with your new 440gt?

rolfp
no-shill zone
Premium Member
Oakland, CA

rolfp

Premium Member

No, @ bought that item on ebay, don't have it, yet.