Hardware God
Premium
join:2002-03-07
Windsor, CO
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

[IPv6] Native IPv6?

So is Comcast providing any native ipv6 addresses? Sorry if this is a stupid question.. I'm a bit confused on this whole setup.. I'm running 6to4 now with the 192.88.99.1 gateway.. is that how it should be setup?
--
...I don't have a 50mb speedy connection, I fly through the net at low altitudes!

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

Yes they are in some areas. There are several other threads about this that you may want to read.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:80

1 recommendation

reply to SolarPup
said by SolarPup:

So is Comcast providing any native ipv6 addresses? Sorry if this is a stupid question.. I'm a bit confused on this whole setup.. I'm running 6to4 now with the 192.88.99.1 gateway.. is that how it should be setup?

If you dont have native dual stack or DHCPv6 then yes 6to4 is the only option. I can check for you if you have NDS if you PM me your Cable Modem MAC address and I will take a look.

johnpoz

join:2012-06-14

1 edit

1 recommendation

Hey netdog I PM you my cmts-mac quite a few days ago... Did I miss some info or did you miss the PM?

Or have just not gotten to it.

I am currently running a HE tunnel, but would like to go native.. But I don't seem to be seeing any RA when I try and go native route. I get an IP with what looks to be /128 -- but I never get a default route. And I did a tcpdump -vv ipv6 and was not seeing any RA.

edit: Just found your PM netdog, I resent you all the info I could find of my SB 6120 as far as mac's - thanks in advance!

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
said by johnpoz:

Hey netdog I PM you my cmts-mac quite a few days ago... Did I miss some info or did you miss the PM?

Got it, you should have a reply. It has been really busy lately trying to keeping the forums up to date..

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
My TM602G has the same problem- I can't get to anything on 192.168.100.1. I know this is a known issue, apparently with Arris DOCSIS 2 modem (402, 502, 602) but I'd like to understand what the problem is. Can you provide any details? Any idea when it will be fixed?

Thanks.

JohnShade

join:2009-03-07
Pearland, TX
198.162.x.x IP see Wikipedia "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network"

"These addresses are characterized as private because they are not globally delegated, meaning they are not allocated to any specific organization, and IP packets addressed by them cannot be transmitted onto the public Internet."

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
192.168.100.1 is the LAN side management address of the modem.

You can also use the routable IPv4 modem address, but you can't determine it until you first get into it via the private IP.

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to JohnShade
said by JohnShade:

198.162.x.x IP see Wikipedia "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network"

"These addresses are characterized as private because they are not globally delegated, meaning they are not allocated to any specific organization, and IP packets addressed by them cannot be transmitted onto the public Internet."

JohnShade,

First of all, it is 192.168.x.x, not 198.162.x.x, and second, no kidding...

You apparently do not understand the issue. 192.168.100.1 has been the standard address for the Arris (and probably other) modems information pages from the user side, but it currently does not work on certain models under certain circumstances. It has nothing (well not in terms of this problem) to do with private vs. public network addresses. From what I've read, the problem is related to IPV6 being available as an admin address on the provider (rather than the user) side ion DOCSIS 2 modems. I am hoping to get more information from someone who knows.

SolarPup
Hardware God
Premium
Windsor, CO

1 recommendation

reply to NetDog
So apparently business customers don't get IPv6. The gateway comcast hands out is d3, but non-ipv6...
--
...I don't have a 50mb speedy connection, I fly through the net at low altitudes!

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to owlyn
I just wanted to report that I have the same issue not being able to go to 192.168.100.1 to check the stats on my Arris eMTA modem. My model # is TM402P/110.

I did start a separate thread on this if anyone is interested in posting more info there.

»[Connectivity] Arris TM402P/110 Status Page not working

Maybe a good idea to keep all the discussion about this problem in one place.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
reply to SolarPup
said by SolarPup:

So apparently business customers don't get IPv6. The gateway comcast hands out is d3, but non-ipv6...

Not at this time but we are working on it.

SolarPup
Hardware God
Premium
Windsor, CO
Any idea on a timeframe at all?

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:3
said by SolarPup:

Nope. Sorry....
--
JL
Comcast

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to SolarPup
said by SolarPup:

Anyone who went through the fiasco with the supposedly IPv6 ready 3.1.4.51.1 firmware for the SMCD3G-CCR that was tried in May is not in any big hurry for the next attempt. Let's give Comcast all the time they need to test it thoroughly before releasing it into the wild.
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower