dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere

Re: Is this forum only for Cogeco haters?

Yowling = sad
Caterwauling = horny

I suppose either could apply to the noises coming out of Audet. Yowling over the screwin' they took in Portugal. Caterwauling for layin' the pipe to their customers to pay for it.

Mike

shwing
A Sphincter Says What ?
join:2002-11-14

1 edit

shwing to lockejcole

to lockejcole
I am amazed at how far my original post has gone, I do like Cogeco and this thread should be about good service...not wining just my $0.02
diskdocx
join:2005-09-26
Burlington, ON

diskdocx to lockejcole

to lockejcole
So I will post an update to my response from a month or so back, and an update wrt the initial yowling

My year contract is now up with Cogeco. I have looked around at the various options, done some research, and explored the service alternatives.

I spoke with Cogeco, and indicated what my expectations were to continue as a customer.

While it did require a phone call, and 'haggling' if you will, we have decided to renew for another year. Our overall fees are down, we dropped a couple of redundant TV packages, moved the internet package up to the 30 meg tier, while getting it discounted to $45/mo, and had the phone costs dropped to a little over $20.

I am happier with the cost value, and while still not completely satisfied with the TV quality, it is not bothersome enough to warrant a switch.

From a total cost perspective, splitting our services with 3 providers would have been significantly more costly.

I would not go to Bell, and even with Tek (which I have a basic account with), I cannot get the speed or stability that I need from a primarily line. Cogeco has always provided a good quality connection, and I would have expected the same from Start.

So I have traded off about 100gig/mo of data (which I currently don't need), for a cost savings of $15/mo - factoring in the modem cost, which at $150 ultimately ended up being the deal breaker with Start.

Perhaps in another year the options will be different.

Am I 100% satisfied? No, but I think that increasing competition will ultimately improve the cost offerings, and while the customer service is not what it once was, the company is bigger, and in many ways the same scenario is playing out with Tek, and likely will with Start if it continues to grow.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

3 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by diskdocx:

So I will post an update to my response from a month or so back, and an update wrt the initial yowling

My year contract is now up with Cogeco. I have looked around at the various options, done some research, and explored the service alternatives.

I spoke with Cogeco, and indicated what my expectations were to continue as a customer....

$45 per month for 30/2 service ?

NICE ! (albeit the 175GB cap, no doubt)

Just before I went to START, I tried to beat Cogeco down, and they wouldn't even budge a dollar.

Their 'Retention' department parroted "Sorry, gotta be with us for a whole year before we can offer you any deals."

In MY observation, the cart was juxtapositioned with the horse.

And this in particular surprised me, as they had then just snail-mailed us all a promo offering 30/2 for $60 per month instead of the $70 which I had been paying, if I simply agreed to lock in for a year, and it read that it did not matter whether you were an existing or new subscriber, and no bundle was required (so I would have qualified).

This hard copy promo was issued around March or April.

I asked the rep what they knew of such a promo and they shrugged their shoulders over the phone.

THAT sort of stuff is what annoys me about Cogeco.

They have a robust network, but their CS is so inconsistent (and some policies so insane), and it should not be ME who trains the reps who have fallen thru the cracks.

....UNLESS of course they were to offer me a decent paying job to do so.

shwing
A Sphincter Says What ?
join:2002-11-14

shwing to diskdocx

to diskdocx
said by diskdocx:

I spoke with Cogeco, and indicated what my expectations were to continue as a customer.

While it did require a phone call, and 'haggling' if you will, we have decided to renew for another year. Our overall fees are down, we dropped a couple of redundant TV packages, moved the internet package up to the 30 meg tier, while getting it discounted to $45/mo, and had the phone costs dropped to a little over $20.

I am happier with the cost value, and while still not completely satisfied with the TV quality, it is not bothersome enough to warrant a switch.

From a total cost perspective, splitting our services with 3 providers would have been significantly more costly.

I would not go to Bell, and even with Tek (which I have a basic account with), I cannot get the speed or stability that I need from a primarily line. Cogeco has always provided a good quality connection, and I would have expected the same from Start.

So I have traded off about 100gig/mo of data (which I currently don't need), for a cost savings of $15/mo - factoring in the modem cost, which at $150 ultimately ended up being the deal breaker with Start.

Perhaps in another year the options will be different.

Am I 100% satisfied? No, but I think that increasing competition will ultimately improve the cost offerings, and while the customer service is not what it once was, the company is bigger, and in many ways the same scenario is playing out with Tek, and likely will with Start if it continues to grow.

Right On!

RedMageX
join:2011-10-06
Hamilton, ON

RedMageX

This forum seems to be a way to communicate about Cogeco services, get some advise/tech help.

The thing about online communities or forums, is that the vocal minority is just that, the minority. Most people on Cogeco don't have these extreme issues, at least from what I've experienced and the people I know who have Cogeco services.

I've seen numerous examples on other forums (Like the World of Warcraft general forums) where the most vocal people on the forums are people with complaints or who are angry about some change or issues. In the case given, it's usually due to gameplay balance, long waits for server outages etc. But in all these cases, the grand majority of users who you don't hear about are happy with service.

This would be the same here, the grand majority of people more than likely don't know of the existance of this website and forums, but guaranteed that when you work in a Tech Support job, you would be lucky to see 0.1% of your incoming calls as a compliment or someone calling to say they are happy about their service.

All that being said, I am a Cogeco customer, I'm happy with the services I've had since I was a kid, and currently I can only count on one hand over the past 2 years at my current location when any issue has occurred with my services. I don't agree with the pricing sometimes, and miss the days of the Unlimited usage days of Cogeco.

But enough of my wall of text,
Thanks for reading ^_^

P.S. People like Marcer are awesome, going above and beyond for customers is something I like to see for sure
Phorkster
Premium Member
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON

Phorkster

Premium Member

Wait until you get a Mystery Overage and they tell you, and are adamant, that everything is fine.

RedMageX
Hamilton, ON

RedMageX

Haven't had any Overages since I quit playing World of Warcraft a year and a half ago. I'm very vigilant about checking my usage at least 3 times a week, have my router properly password protected and I know exactly how much I use.

Can't be surprised when I'm completely on top of it and know how the usage works.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

That makes no sense because on a whole WoW uses very little bandwidth.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by Gone:

That makes no sense because on a whole WoW uses very little bandwidth.

Patch updates on a low bandwidth account could be an issue? Fast ping times but low caps.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Yeah, the patches hurt. People bitch about voice too but that really shouldn't be an issue.

Still, it's a sad state of affairs when someone can't even play a game - something that has traditionally been low bandwidth usage - without going over a cap.
Expand your moderator at work
Phorkster
Premium Member
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON

Phorkster to RedMageX

Premium Member

to RedMageX

said by RedMageX:

Haven't had any Overages since I quit playing World of Warcraft a year and a half ago. I'm very vigilant about checking my usage at least 3 times a week, have my router properly password protected and I know exactly how much I use.

Can't be surprised when I'm completely on top of it and know how the usage works.

Thats not the point. The point is on their end it shows 200GB, even if your end shows 150GB. Believe me I fought the battle and it took a call to a 3rd party to dispute the charges. The first level tech and his manager said everything was fine. My router said 170GB their meter said 250GB. $80+tx overage.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

Yeah, the patches hurt. People bitch about voice too but that really shouldn't be an issue.

Still, it's a sad state of affairs when someone can't even play a game - something that has traditionally been low bandwidth usage - without going over a cap.

Truthfully I'm on the fence with that. As far as I'm concerned, if you're doing more than simply browsing the web and checking email, and you're regularly playing games online, you've just upgraded yourself beyond a 'lite' user.

The question is, is Cogeco misleading their customers with their package descriptions?

Turbo 20 - 80GB cap - "Downloading movies, videos or online games are part of your daily life? Other family members use the Internet? Subscribe to High Speed Internet Turbo 20!"

Ultimate 30 - 175GB cap - "Passionate about movies, games and music? Choose the High Speed Internet Ultimate 30 package! This ultra-fast connection offers you more of the things you love!"

Ultimate 50 - 250GB cap - "Time is precious so why wait needlessly? Download movies, music and games in record time! Choose the High Speed Internet Ultimate 55 package for the ultimate in entertainment. Our fastest package."

So let's consider parents for a moment, who want to purchase or upgrade their package for their kid who wants to play World of Warcraft and some PS3 games.

Ultimate 30 and Ultimate 50 seem to be the most appropriate packages for gamers; however Turbo 20 makes references to online games and other family members, so it sounds like that's the best package for a family with a little timmy... but is an 80GB cap enough for him and "other family members"?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I don't buy it. Turbo 20 is more than sufficient for playing games, and is not a "lite" package. If you're blowing your limit on a package like that merely by playing WoW, something is terribly wrong with the way Cogeco tiers their services - but we already knew that.

Express 4 on the other hand... it should still work, but you'd have a point with regards to what would be considered "lite" usage. Not with Turbo 20, though.

RedMageX
Hamilton, ON

RedMageX to urbanriot

to urbanriot
Honestly, I'm on the Exp 8 package which is 40GIG/month and even with heavy Online Gaming with my Xbox (Battlefield 3, CoD: Black ops) I never ended up going over my usage for the month.

Honestly, the only way you can really get yourself into big trouble with usage is Bit Torrent programs in use if you aren't aware that they are still active.

There's no misleading in the packages, an average user doing as they describe should have no issues with any overages, unless they or any of the PCs/Devices in the home are causing any traffic issues.

From what I understand from calling into Tech Support, the usage is read direct from the Modem, and considering how often i check, it's never been off at all.
Expand your moderator at work

I_H8_Spam
join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam to RedMageX

to RedMageX

said by RedMageX:

Honestly, I'm on the Exp 8 package which is 40GIG/month and even with heavy Online Gaming with my Xbox (Battlefield 3, CoD: Black ops) I never ended up going over my usage for the month.

Honestly, the only way you can really get yourself into big trouble with usage is Bit Torrent programs in use if you aren't aware that they are still active.

Lets take your normal gaming, now toss an update to your xbox dashboard, maybe a few 4.5gb downloaded Beta tests offered through Gold, a windows 7 patches, Steam maybe you buy 1 game, the others automatically update. Couple game trailers.

40GB is a drop in the bucket

backstage_no
@cgocable.net

backstage_no

Anon

Yeah, try being a STEAM sale addict (amazing deals on a regular basis, God bless Gaben) and see how things go bandwidth wise.

I_H8_Spam
join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

Well, vote with your wallet.

backstage_no
@cgocable.net

change it to

backstage_no
@start.ca