Brooklyn, NY

New Desk Setup, multi monitor

Click for full size
Wide
Click for full size
Windows & OS X
Click for full size
Thin Client
Hi All, long time lurker here, first time poster. I'm in IT, usually work 1-2 days from home. Here's my setup after a half-assed cleaning....

(From Left to Right)
HP 24 inch LCD (1920 x 1200)
Driven by a Lenovo x200 Tablet
Windows 7 Ultimate, 4GB (for now), Seagate 8GB SSD/750GB 7200rpm HD hybrid drive.
1TB USB backup drive

Apple 30 inch Cinema Display (2560 x 1600)
Driven by a Mid-2010 15inch MacBook Pro
OS X 10.7.4, 8GB, 120GB Intel SSD for boot, and the same Seagate 750GB hybrid drive for my user folder.
Apple Bluetooth Keyboard & Magic Trackpad, Logitech MX Revolution Mouse. A Blue Eyeball 2.0 Webcam & High Quality Mic sits on top of the cinema display.
~5TB of Firewire 800 and USB storage
Synergy server, keyboard and mouse can 'Jump' over to my Windows 7 machine (think software KVM, minus the V)

(in back)
Toshiba 42inch 1080p LCD TV
AT&T U-Verse TV
Jailbroken 2nd Gen Apple TV w/XBMC, feeds off a 2TB NAS in the basement.
Harmon-Kardon Receiver, Bose Speakers (got them for free!)

(in front)
Generic Charging dock-
iPad 2 32GB AT&T (5.1.1, Jailbroken)
iPhone 4S 16GB Verizon (5.1.1, Jailbroken, not pictured)

The triangle shaped thing on my desk is an old Polycom SoundStation. Easily the best line of speaker-phones I've ever used. Some Panasonic DECT 6.0 cordless phone, both run off of a VOIP number I have and can take my Google Voice calls as well.

Dell 17inch LCD (1280x1024)
WYSE Thin Client, RDP sessions to various machines running on my VSphere server in the basement.
Microsoft Wireless keyboard and mouse.
And the whiskey

Gigabit ethernet drops from upstairs for all machines, just ordered a Gigabit switch to clean things up. 802.11N is done by a Linksys WRT-350N (DD-WRT) on the 2.4GHz band, and an Airport Express on the 5GHz band. Internet is U-Verse 18/2, with both the iPad and iPhone tether-read for emergencies. (Not pictured)

It's a pretty comfortable setup and conforms to my Tenets of IT- Cross Platform Compatibility, Portability and Reliability. I can take just the MacBook Pro with me travelling and have access to everything I need, or bring the Lenovo too when I need another client/screen. They share certain folders with each other, can remote into each other, etc.
I wanted to get this up before my new 'work' machine comes in Monday, a Retina Display (2880 x 1800) MacBook Pro That's more resolution in 15inches than I have on my 30 inch right now!

What do you guys think? Any questions?

angryjohn

@northwestern.edu

why bother with the thin client with a low res screen when either of your other machines is capable of running an RDP session?

tburke

join:2005-11-09
Brooklyn, NY

It's nice to have a separate screen to keep updates, downloads or monitoring up on. It's also a good backup in the event the the PC or Mac are down for updates.

NgtFlyer

join:2000-07-09
Marietta, GA

Oh come on. I work in IT too. The real secret is you just like having more link lights on your switch. I'm the same way.

My one desktop machine drives three displays on my desk. I do pretty much everything on that one box. Updates mean go get pizza!

spinJR
what exit?

join:2002-01-07
reply to tburke

Met AND Yankee jersey? hmmmm

gogorichie

join:2005-04-14
Palatine, IL
reply to tburke

Half ass cleaning ??? Man that's way cleaner then my setup