Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DeeHeretic

join:2012-06-16
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX

[Internet] Bell Fibe 15/10 low upload speed problem.

Hey everybody!

*I have the Sagemcom f@st modem/router*

So I've recently decided to upgrade from the Bell Performance plan (up to 7mbps downstream & up to 800 kbps upstream in Montreal, Quebec) with gotten speeds of around 5 to 6mbps downstream and 670 kbps upstream to fibe 15/10. As of now, 3 bell technicians have come to my place trying to install the modem, one per day, and it's finally up and running. I get about 14.1 mbps downstream (when torrenting i do however achieve 1.5MB/s) on speedtest but this is where the problem (possibly) occurs. I only get a constant 0.5 mbps upstream. . I asked the technician when he showed us the result from speedtest why I recieved sub par upload speed (on the bell website it says uploads can vary anywhere from 680 kbps to 10 mbps) and he said that I was pretty far from the CO ( I don't have one of those remote CO, so I'm connected directly to the building) but the CO is only a couple of blocks away from my house. Does anybody know what the problem might be? Is it possibly the wiring? And if so then how did I get more download speed but lesser upload speed? Should I call technical support?

Also, when I go in my connection hub settings, the WAN mode is set at ADSL and I thought that bell Fibe 15/10 uses VDSL2, is that is the case, should I change that setting to VDSL? (I didn't change it right away because it gives me a warning that it might disrupt my service).

Has anybody have this problem and was it fixable?
Thank you very much for your potential input, it's really appreciated!

XanderLo

join:2002-06-19
Boucherville, QC
It seems like you are still on ADSL2. VDSL2 is probably not yet available in your area. I, too, was screwed that way when I switched to 15/10. Hopefully when Fibe TV becomes available, we can get our decent upstream! ;p

EDIT: Since you are still on ADSL2, do -NOT- use the Sagemcom modem, it sucks for upstream! With the Sagemcom, I uploaded at around 60-70k/sec and with the previous 2Wire 2701HG, 85-90k/sec.

DeeHeretic

Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX

1 edit
Ohh I see, thanks a lot, I was also wondering how & why I was receiving such low upload speeds. I guess there's nothing I can do about that, besides maybe changing modems (which I will if it becomes unbearable, if one day I decide to upload big files).

EDIT: If i don't use the Sagemcom and if I really can't get any better upload speed, can I get back my 2wire modem from bell? Or is it a no-go? Because I'd rather have my previous 670 kbps than this 0.5 mbps upload. And I suppose that the 2wire modem can handle 15 mbps download speed?

desseb

join:2012-06-01
Ottawa, ON
said by DeeHeretic:

Ohh I see, thanks a lot, I was also wondering how & why I was receiving such low upload speeds. I guess there's nothing I can do about that, besides maybe changing modems (which I will if it becomes unbearable, if one day I decide to upload big files).

Well, did you actually call in and ask them to check whether a vdsl profile was available?

DeeHeretic

Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
said by desseb:

said by DeeHeretic:

Well, did you actually call in and ask them to check whether a vdsl profile was available?

Yes, I did call technical support and let them know about my problem since, when the 3rd bell technician left, he said I would get near 1mbps upload later (his "reason" at the time was that because I just booted up my computer to check the speeds at speedtest, the computer was sending a lot of data to the internet). When I called, the first representative put me on hold while he tried to check the quality of my line and optimize it to permit me to get higher upload speed and when he came back in touch with me, he said that the tests had "failed" and quickly sent me up to a level 2 technician. Now, the level 2 technician asked me what the 3rd bell tech did and what he told me about the low upload speed (all the 3rd tech did was talk to a bell guy on the phone and got the download speed right, but not the upload speed, and told me that it was because of my wiring quality & being too far from the CO, etc.), to which basically the level 2 tech on the phone told me that the 3rd tech didn't do his job adequately to resolve my problem and that wiring in my residence shouldn't even be a valid argument as well as for the distance from CO, since I am getting full speed in download speed. I also asked the level 2 technician about if I was connected to VDSL2, to which he said no (I'm connected to ADSL2+, with which it's not theoretically possible to get anywhere close to 10 mbps upload speed). In the end, he gave me another appointment with a technician (and he told me that he would write his own comments about me not being hooked up to the right port/type of service, etc) and said that he hoped I wasn't paying extra for that advertised upload speed. Funny because before actually taking up the offer of going to fibe 15/10, I constantly asked several bell reps if I would indeed get the speeds for which I'm paying for and all of them said that my residence could handle even more speed than what I'm taking. Anyway, the level 2 technician finally ended the call with "ask very specific questions and remarks to the bell technician, and be somewhat firm". I don't know where that will get me since when I asked the 2nd technician who visited my place if the sagemcom modem had 802.11n standard built into it, he didn't know what I was talking about, and I generalized my question to "can I connect my laptop to the modem without wires". Anyway, this has been my up-to-date experience with bell and, honestly thank god that this is happening in my vacation, otherwise I would've gotten impatient by the second technician visit...

desseb

Ottawa, ON
I see, well the one issue with what those reps told you is that a lot of the ADSL2+ hardware (line cards) can potentially support VDSL2, though without trying a VDSL2 profile, most tech support agents won't know if that is the case with your specific line.

As for the Sagemcom modem, it is indeed 802.11n. Sadly not many field techs (even on the business side) know much about the modems, most can't do much more than enter pppoe user/pass and make sure it connects.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to DeeHeretic
The Sagemcom wireless is 802.11N but the range is not as good as the 2wire. There was mention in another thread about the device being made in Germany where wireless restrictions are more intense? Also there are two separate SSIDs on the device...the normal network SSID with a "Bellxxx" identifier with WPA2-PSK security on by default. The other network, separated from the first is the "guest" SSID which is turned off by default. It is meant for a courtesy wireless network to allow your customers (in a business situation) access to the internet and it is "timed" also. It is separate from the main network so your guests cannot access any of your devices. I have to mention that the Sagemcom is Gigabit Ethernet also on 4 ports as well as compatible with FTTH.
--
My Canada includes Quebec.
Disclaimer: If I express an opinion, it is my own opinion, not that of Bell or its related companies.

Anonymuss

@rogers.com
reply to DeeHeretic
Plain and simple, you can only get 0.6M-0.8M on a speed test cause you're on a ADSL2+ port. That's the maximum upload speed the technology can handle.

You "want" to be on a VDSL2 port. There may not be any vacant VDSL2 ports available. It's entirely possible that a neighbour may be on a VDSL2 capable port, but not actually using a VDSL2 profile.

*BUT* Bell doesn't juggle customers from port to port trying to get everyone on a specific type of port based on what they're paying, you just get whatever port is available at the time you sign up.

ADSL2+ line cards CANNOT support VDSL2.
Only VDSL2 cards can fall back to ADSL2+.

No the 2wire cannot support uploads over 1Mbps.

Also, there are no issues with the Sagemcom modem and ADSL2+ upload speeds.

XanderLo

join:2002-06-19
Boucherville, QC
said by Anonymuss :

Also, there are no issues with the Sagemcom modem and ADSL2+ upload speeds.

Yes there is.

Calmuser

join:2011-10-27
Canada
I agree.

I had slower uploads with the Sagemcom. And with the 2wire and my own modem my upload speeds magically improved.

coffenk

join:2003-01-09
reply to XanderLo
I totally agree re the comments on the Sagemcom modem. I'll try to give you the shortened version of my saga of 4 different technicians with Bell last week.
Spoke to bell internet dept a couple of weeks ago and they offered to upgrade me to the new 15/10 service. I was already on the Fibe 7 with the 2Wire modem and getting consistent and stable speeds of 7.1 mbps down and 0.78 mbps up.
Before Bell arrived Monday morning I checked my speed and due to something they must have changed at the Bell office I was getting 15/0.78 (while still on the 2Wire modem) !
Mentioned this to tech #1 when he arrived and he said that it could not be sustained at that speed and then proceeded to run new wiring to the house install a POTS, change to the black Sagemcom etc. After 4 hours and a lot of tweaking and work and patience on his part I was getting 15.2/1.7 which he said was the best he could do.
I was happy...but after about an hour I kept dropping the internet connection ....2-3 times per hour.
Bell sent another tech next day who said that I was too far from CO and could only support 16/1 service so my profile was changed to that. I understand and accepted that. Worked fine for all that evening but next day I was getting only 10/0.3. I checked the modem configuration and saw that while I was originally on VDSL I was now on ADSL.Called them again and they sent tech #3. After an hour he declared that the best he could do was 15/0.3...and could do nothing more for the upspeed.
I let this go for a day or so and was finding that the slow up speed was slowing down the surfing....also it was far less than what I was paying for and what I had originally attained.
Thought I'd give it one more try with Bell. They sent tech #4. Who was very thorough checked out the connection and confirmed that I should be getting 15/1 service. As with all the other tech's I mentioned the fact that service was good with the 2Wire modem but they all refused to try one. This guy did connect one and lo and behold I am getting 15.2/0.8 and am happy. I would have preferred 10mbps down but understand and accept the limitations due to distance. My down speed, at times is clocked at 18 mbps and have not lost a connection since last Thursday when the last tech was here.
All the techs were very polite and helpful but somewhere there is a disconnect between knowledge of what the network and the modem hardware will support.
Moral of the story, if you are not happy and don't feel you are getting the service that you were sold or that the network will support stick to your guns.

ings
Premium
join:2004-12-22
Toronto, ON
reply to DeeHeretic
A big +1 to this thread. Exactly mirrors my experience the past two weeks switching from Fibe 16 to Fibe 15/10.

Prior to the switch my usual performance was 12 down .8 up but now I get 12 down and .5 up. When I call they put me on a 16/1 profile, and I get 14 down for a day or so, but then it falls back for some reason. So +1 to the anecdotal evidence that the new Sagemcom modem has poor upload performance on an ADSL2 port.

In the end Bell gave me a promotional discount of $10 a month for a year since I wasn't getting the advertised speeds. If fact their networking folks told me to demand that of the business office.

Dave Ings

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
Does not sound Like Distance issue to me at all Sounds Like you never had a VDSL port available to you and You've been on Adsl2 the whole time. Since its Spec maxes at 2 on the Up and 24 on the down though bell only goes to 16 ( 19 Sync) speeds.
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

desseb

Ottawa, ON
reply to Anonymuss
said by Anonymuss :

Yes, but what I was stating is that there is some hardware installed out there that isn't necessarily flagged as vdsl hardware and so tech support has to occasionally gamble on profile changes to confirm the type present. (Yes it's as ridiculous as it sounds)

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Not sure what Your saying Desseb but its either a 7330 or a Stinger or its not going to be doing VDSL. period..
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

kovy7

join:2009-03-26
reply to desseb
said by desseb:

said by Anonymuss :

Yes, but what I was stating is that there is some hardware installed out there that isn't necessarily flagged as vdsl hardware and so tech support has to occasionally gamble on profile changes to confirm the type present. (Yes it's as ridiculous as it sounds)

You just need to go into equipment details to know...

ings
Premium
Toronto, ON

1 edit
My upload speed deteriorated to roughly .5 (point 5) so I called Bell Technical support once again. The test center guy was quite helpful and eventually called over to my local central office where they confirmed that there is no VDSL hardware installed, even though they sold me 15/10 which requires it. Bell's systems obviously have some provisioning issues!

Also I'm stuck with a new VDSL capable modem, which doesn't seem to perform as well as the old modem, when it drops into ADSL2.

On the up side the new Sagemcom modem handles concurrent download traffic (i.e. multiple computers surfing) much better than the old one did.

Dave Ings

Anonymuss

@rogers.com
said by ings:

The test center guy was quite helpful and eventually called over to my local central office where they confirmed that there is no VDSL hardware installed, even though they sold me 15/10 which requires it. Bell's systems obviously have some provisioning issues!

10Mb upload requires VDSL2 but the service is marketed and sold as UP TO 15/10 which is why it is also sold on ADSL2+ platforms as well which have a top speed of 15/0.8. This isn't an issue, it is sales marketing of the term "up to".

Anonymuss

@rogers.com
reply to kovy7
said by kovy7:

said by desseb:

said by Anonymuss :

You just need to go into equipment details to know...

Not even. The new WebCare system has specific drop down menus by technology. When you go to change the speed, you select the technology, and if there are no options on the list then that line coding technology is not supported by the port. If the options come up, then they are available to select. No guessing or gambling.

ings
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to Anonymuss
said by Anonymuss :

10Mb upload requires VDSL2 but the service is marketed and sold as UP TO 15/10 which is why it is also sold on ADSL2+ platforms as well which have a top speed of 15/0.8. This isn't an issue, it is sales marketing of the term "up to".

You are technically and legally correct - but this is not how you delight customers! Which perhaps explains why the Bell staff I dealt with was polite, apologetic and provided a year long discount as compensation.

kovy7

join:2009-03-26
reply to Anonymuss
said by Anonymuss :

Not even. The new WebCare system has specific drop down menus by technology. When you go to change the speed, you select the technology, and if there are no options on the list then that line coding technology is not supported by the port. If the options come up, then they are available to select. No guessing or gambling.

I'd need to test that with ZSLAM, last time they still had ADSL2+ profiles which don't work with those SLAM.

urbang33k

join:2010-02-13
Canada
kudos:1
reply to Anonymuss
said by Anonymuss :

This is 100% accurate. Its one product, to keep the product lineup simple. If we can put a customer on vdsl2 to give them faster upload we just do it now. We DO juggle customers who are on vdsl2 ports to 'provide spares' where we can. Often that work and research is not done ahead of time for the tech so he/she must call to assignment to get an assigner to look for this possibility.

It's also 1 modem now to make the possibility of account upgrades simple as the customer would already have the correct modem. I too have noticed poor upload rates on the sagemcoms in adsl2+ mode. I dont know why but unfortunately it is what it is right now. I can only hope that the sagemcom gods get the memo. I wonder if anyone has attempted to contact sagemcom directly about this?

As for the op specifically, We dont have enough info here in my opinion. What is the upstream attenuation in adsl2+ mode? He could already be in vdsl mode but there is a distance issue???
--
Opinions and ideas expressed in my post are my own and in no way represent those of Bell Canada Enterprises, Bell Canada, Bell TV, Bell Internet, Bell Mobility, Bell Technical Solutions, Expertech, or any other partners under the BCE umbrella.

DeeHeretic

Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
"As for the op specifically, We dont have enough info here in my opinion. What is the upstream attenuation in adsl2+ mode? He could already be in vdsl mode but there is a distance issue???"

I can confirm I was on the adsl profile since that was the connection type shown in my modem configuration page. Even when trying to change it to vdsl2, it would just re-appear as adsl. And there was effectively a distance issue, I was , from the CO 2 blocks away, 2.7km of cabling distance.