ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to tenpin784

Re: Sick of the Slow Speeds

My 6120 died yesterday, so I went to Staples. They had the Zoom and I almost bought it until I called Metrocast. The tech support person did not recommend it.

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
join:2007-07-08
Rochester, NH
I would stick with the Motorola Surfboard. Pretty much 95%+ of cable cos use it...Good to know that Zoom is still around. I had a 33.6k external modem from them. Those were the days.

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?

join:2001-03-30
Brierfield, AL
reply to ptrowski
If you want to stick with Motorola, they have the SBG6580 which is 8-channel, but has the built in wireless router and a 4 port switch (eh). Motorola also has the SB6141 or SB6180, but I don't see them on BB or Staples or Newegg, but they are on Ebay.
--
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.

Disclaimer: These are MY comments, my employer cant be held responsible.

meandmyarrow

join:2001-12-11
Waterford, CT
I keep seeing you guys talking about upgrading modems... I guess if I'm a phone and internet subscriber I'm out of luck doing that since there is a combo-box? I forget the proper name for the box that interfaces both internet and phone.

tony_s_fan

join:2011-04-03
Putnam, CT
reply to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

My 6120 died yesterday, so I went to Staples. They had the Zoom and I almost bought it until I called Metrocast. The tech support person did not recommend it.

Even back in the old BBS days of the 80's and 90's, ZOOM had a CRAPPY rep for modems. Nice to see they still carry that rep!

Nyteroad

join:2009-09-15
Sterling, CT
I pay for the "gamer Package" and this is the garbage i put up with all the time...

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?

join:2001-03-30
Brierfield, AL
With a ping of 144ms, I would try a different server first.

I would try Boston > Towerstream, as that is a decent server speed/ping wise.