uniqs
share rss forum feed

Whip

join:2009-01-23
Califon, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to mattrixx

Re: E-Mail "Contact List" Hack

It is a yahoo issue as my contacts were harvested through messenger which I never use anymore. I do not click links nor give out passwords. I found out someone was logging into my messenger while looking through 'account info' and then 'view your recent sign-in activity'. I had found IPs from countries like Vietnam, Thailand in there. They never ever went into the mail account.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

said by Whip:

It is a yahoo issue as my contacts were harvested through messenger which I never use anymore. I do not click links nor give out passwords. I found out someone was logging into my messenger while looking through 'account info' and then 'view your recent sign-in activity'. I had found IPs from countries like Vietnam, Thailand in there. They never ever went into the mail account.

How do you know you weren't hacked? Why blame Yahoo that someone guessed/got your password?
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Whip

join:2009-01-23
Califon, NJ

said by Krisnatharok:

said by Whip:

How do you know you weren't hacked? Why blame Yahoo that someone guessed/got your password?

How would they even know where to begin? It was alpha-numeric. I know I, personally, wasn't if that's what you are implying. I have been reading forums like this for years so I know not to just randomly click anything. Why does it always have to be user error and not vulnerabilities in the system? Are you saying that everyone that had their credit card info stolen in both of the fairly recent processor hacks are themselves responsible somehow?

mattrixx

join:2004-02-18
Orland Park, IL

The desktop computer that I opened my questionable E-Mail link happens to be a dual boot system.
I am fairly certain I opened this latest link while in Linux MINT Operating System.
I have been using the newly released MINT13 Maya much more recently than Windows 7.

Since a LINUX O.S. by it`s nature pretty much more secure and or ignored by hackers,
I have a hard time believing I was hacked via conventional means.
So either I was infected from a previous E-Mail link while in Win7, OR the problem is not emanating from from a compromised Windows, but more likely from an ATT/Yahoo issue?