Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Betrock

Premium Member

to Betrock

Re: BH Home Security

said by Betrock:

Hello- New to Forum - Found it when researching this very topic. Just heard about BHN Home Security, from a TV commercial. I am a huge fan of anything BH.

I had them out yesterday to explain it all to me - I've never had a home security sytem before, so I have nothing to compare it to. However, I had done a great deal of research, and had gotten bids from 3 other companies. BH is not the cheapest, but is very competitive, when you factor in what you get. The "pearl beyond price" here is BH reputation for customer service.

As soon as I work out a couple of technical details, they will be installing it! I am very excited.

Regards to all,
Betrock

Betrock welcome
Betrock
join:2012-06-17
Bradenton, FL

Betrock

Re: BH Home Security - Need Help with Specs!

Does anyone here know the make and model of the following items used in the BH Home Security System?:

-Motion Sensor
-Glass Break Sensor
-Smoke/Heat Sensor

If someone can provide this info, I can find the spec sheets myself!

If not, can anyone provide me with an email address for "Technical" customer service/support?

DETAILS:
I've hit a "small" snag. I have repeatedly asked the BH salesman to provide me with the spec sheets on the items so I may review, calculate ranges of coverage, etc.

The salesman said " oh, it covers um, oh, about 20ft."

Thanks, but I would like to KNOW the distances and ranges of the items! This is my home!

I asked him to provide them at the time of the visit (6/16/12), and have called and emailed since, to no avail.

I have NEVER had a reason to complain about anything BH. I'm not really counting this, because most salesmen usually suck no matter what the company - they rarely thoroughly know the product they are selling. This gentleman was kind, pleasant, polite and spent several hours reviewing the gadgety aspects of the system, but knew very little about the actual physical aspects of the system.

I am not shopping around - I want the BH system! I had actually expected to have an appt to have it installed by now!

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Betrock
tim tim tim
join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

I believe they are all SMC. The smoke detector doesnt have a range though.

IIRC the motion has 2 settings which are good for up to 50-75 feet (although I wouldn't put it that far away personally).
Betrock
Bradenton, FL

Betrock

said by tim tim tim:

I believe they are all SMC. The smoke detector doesnt have a range though.

IIRC the motion has 2 settings which are good for up to 50-75 feet (although I wouldn't put it that far away personally).

SMC? Search returns 'Saturday Morning Cartoon' among others! Could you give me a little more info? Model#s, too?

Thanks!
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to Betrock

Premium Member

to Betrock
The company behind Brighthouse's Security is an outfit called iControl Networks. They are the one partnered with the cable companies to offer these home management services using their OpenHome Platform. I haven’t been to their website in a while, but perhaps you could find out the info you’re looking for from their website, or maybe get contact info from someone that can help you out with the specifics you’re looking for.

Do you have any BHN Cable Stores nearby? In my area Time Warner has live product demos of this, they call it 'Intelligent Home', a few times a month at the various cable stores in the area. Maybe BHN does the same in your area. That way you could see the hardware first hand.
tim tim tim
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

said by Happydude32:

The company behind Brighthouse's Security is an outfit called iControl Networks. They are the one partnered with the cable companies to offer these home management services using their OpenHome Platform. I haven’t been to their website in a while, but perhaps you could find out the info you’re looking for from their website, or maybe get contact info from someone that can help you out with the specifics you’re looking for.

Do you have any BHN Cable Stores nearby? In my area Time Warner has live product demos of this, they call it 'Intelligent Home', a few times a month at the various cable stores in the area. Maybe BHN does the same in your area. That way you could see the hardware first hand.

I don't believe they have demo's set up in the stores yet. They aren't really pushing the product too hard yet. Your correct about the Icontrol though

meebers
@bhn.net

meebers

Anon

I hope the system can integrate my present hard wired system and accept video from my home DVR/camera system.
tim tim tim
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

It can take your existing hardwired alarm system but it wont take over your dvr/camera system though.
the65gto
join:2000-08-31
Apopka, FL

the65gto

Ok thanks. Thought that because my DVR has a cat 5 cable feeding my router and I can pull up the cameras on any IE browser, it would have worked...but.
tim tim tim
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

unfortunately not.. Not to say that it never will though. Its definitely something that is still being worked on and there are plans for many more things in the future, maybe that would be one of them?
Betrock
Bradenton, FL

1 recommendation

Betrock

Ok. Here is what I have found out - for anyone in the Tampabay area who is interested:

The equipment (contact sensors, motion sensors, smoke/heat sensors, glass break sensors, video cameras, light control modules, extra keypads, key fobs & main touchscreen control panel) are all made by SMC - as Tim Tim had stated.

»na.smc.com/products/resi ··· ial/sma/
All the manuals & install info & specs are available there.

Bright House has supplied quite a bit more info lately on their website, but still insufficient:
»brighthouse.com/tampa-ba ··· security

I'm not sure about who makes the Thermostat. As to whether it can be fitted to your existing HVAC system has something to do with whether its' a 3-wire or 4-wire input to the Thermostat - I can't find where I learned that? - Also, I have NO idea what it means!

They also have a water sensor available.

The system is based on the ZigBee wireless technology. Honeywell was also mentioned - not sure for what.

If you subscribe to all 3 BHN services, the monitoring cost is $32 per month, which includes cellular backup.

They provide, and continue to own, the dedicated modem, router & touchscreen. Initially, 2 contact sensors & 1 motion detector are provided free. You buy all the rest. Presently, Installation costs $100.

Regards,
Betrock
tim tim tim
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

Lots of accurate info there.. I cannot remember the brand of thermostat but its compatible with most existing hvac systems.
gramps
join:2012-07-28

gramps

I'm in tampa installed BHS last month with existing Ademco Vista 20p. BH tech removed my existing Honeywell 6160v voice keypad and installed 6150 fixed word keypad. The 6160v would announce fault as well as chime. The 6150 is silent, which means that the only alert is the touchscreen wherever it has been place. If the touchscreen is moved on battery it prompts a call from monitor station.
Any advice on use of 6160v in current system to give audio feedback at keypad.

Flashfox
Eco-Text -- Why print E-mails?
join:2003-10-01
Carlsbad, CA

Flashfox to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert

Re: BH Home Security

This was asked but I don't believe it was answered, but is this available in CFL? More precisely in 32904?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Look for an announcement from me on this tomorrow

Flashfox
Eco-Text -- Why print E-mails?
join:2003-10-01
Carlsbad, CA