how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

robbym1976

join:2012-06-17
Hollis, NY

[Northeast] Fios signal dropping when using powerline adapter

Hi, I am in NY. I have Verizon Fios Internet, Phone and TV. I'm very pleased with my Fios service. The main battery backup is installed on the wall of my basement and the Verizon router as well (MI424WR) is in the basement attached to my main computer.

I was making use of the wireless signal until in November 2011 when I learned about networking via livewire powerline adapters.
In November 2011 I bought "Western Digital WD Livewire Powerline AV Network Kit".
In March 2012 my internet signal began dropping intermittently, at first the simple solution was to reboot the Verizon MI424WR router and everything was back up and running. This solution began ineffective and I had to call Verizon Fios customer service to inquire. First they had to send a reboot signal on their end reset my connection, this worked at first.
The problems happened about 2 times a month, after the first couple months, they had to direct me to unplug and disconnect the battery backup on the wall and they did a major reset which meant rebooting all of my services - internet, phone, and tv. This worked. They had to this about 2-3 times, I finally scheduled a Verizon tech to come out. When he came he saw the WD adapter plugged into the wall and said that they have had issues with customers who've had trouble with these boxes.
To avoid the hassle with calling Verizon each time the connection went down, I myself have had to reset the system but unplugging the modem/router and also the unplugging the battery backup and then plugging them back in after a few minutes. This solves the problem however, each time I do this, my TV and phone also go off since I'm shutting power to the entire system.
I gave it some thought and then had an idea, the Verizon modem/router (MI424WR) is an Actiontec brand, I went to the Actiontec website and saw that they have their own brand of livewire powerline adapters. I called up Actiontec and they confirmed that all of their products are compatible with each other.
I bought the "Actiontec MegaPlug A/V 200 Mbps Powerline Network Adapter Kit". It worked well, just like the WD adapter but the signal again dropped a few days ago. I am at a loss about what the problem could be. Can anyone help? Anyone had these issues before?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

Re: [Northeast] Fios signal dropping when using powerline adapte

Do you not have Coax in the other room you're trying to get internet access? MoCA adapters are much more reliable than power line adapters.

Which devices are losing network access? The ones connected directly to the Actiontec router or devices connected to the power line adapters?
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
reply to robbym1976
What "FIOS signal" is dropping?
•Are you loosing connectivity only on the power line connected devices?
•Are you loosing internet (WAN) connectivity from all devices? i.e. WAN light is orange, but LAN is okay and you can get to the router, including from the powerline devices?
•Are you loosing all (LAN+WAN+powerline) connectivity?

Powerline networking is a different technology from anything used by FIOS. There should not be any interaction or incompatibility. However, powerline networking IS subject to poor wiring and electrical noise.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

robbym1976

join:2012-06-17
Hollis, NY
Its the signal to the Verizon modem/router itself that keeps dropping. When all is working correctly, all the lights are green on the Verizon modem/router. But the internet light/indicator turns orange when the signal drops.
Like I said, from November through March I never had a problem.
When the Verizon tech mentioned that they've had customers with similar issues, after seeing that I had a WD box plugged in, thats when I realized that it is the powerline adapter.
When I first began calling Verizon, they tested the line and everything was fine, they then realized that it's something that is blocking the actual internet signal from getting to the Verizon modem/router. - meaning, somehting is interrupting the signal from the hardwired box on my home to the modem.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
It's not at all clear that the powerline networking adapters are the cause of your problems. You WAN connection is delivered over the coax connection between the ONT and your router. That has nothing in common with the powerline adapters. If you're losing your WAN connection, the possible causes are:
•Bad ONT
•Bad coax or coax connection
•Bad splitter
•Bad router

You should check your MOCA WAN stats per the following FAQ:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How to check MOCA stats?

Also, what kind of devices do you have on your network?
ROKUs are known for causing this kind of problem.

BTW, the Actiontec is just a router. It is not a modem/router.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

brianmcd
Premium
join:2000-09-06
Norristown, PA
reply to robbym1976
If both the ONT and Actiontec are next to each other in the Basement them you may want to run a patch cable from the ONT to the Actiontec and follow the procedures in this forum to convert the WAN Connection over to Ethernet.

As other members have stated there should be no connection between the Coax and Power Line Adapters, yet you are still having an issue. This will give you a different and isolated path between the ONT and Actiontec.